Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Its Game Lands.....Not a State Park!!

In respect for the hunters and IMO the state asset they paid for I don't use SGL ranges right before season, they need the lanes more than I do, and I don't go to the trails during season. Not out of fear of being shot (though that counts as a reason to stay clear) but because I don't want to interfere with their objective. I'm not a hunter but take issue with those who object to hunting....usually the same ones grazing at the meat counter for their protein. At least you guys/gals have the gumption to go out and get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    In respect for the hunters and IMO the state asset they paid for I don't use SGL ranges right before season, they need the lanes more than I do, and I don't go to the trails during season. Not out of fear of being shot (though that counts as a reason to stay clear) but because I don't want to interfere with their objective. I'm not a hunter but take issue with those who object to hunting....usually the same ones grazing at the meat counter for their protein. At least you guys/gals have the gumption to go out and get your own.
    Thank You for showing the respect.

You do know hunting season is Oct.-Feb., correct?

ETA: Spring Gobbler Season, April and May.
    Last edited by fingers80002; January 12th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Ok, one time at band camp...LOL Actually it was SGL 211 in Dauphin county, Stoney creek entrance and location. I was out training my labs to do water retrieves and an angry pack of cougars arrived (Cougars are middle aged, former soccer moms with fu fu dogs, liberal and know everything about nothing). Anyway, these very fine city dwellers, not cabin born and bred like myself, immediately complained that my labs were not on leashes. I couldn't stop laughing at such idiotic suggestion. They as a group became upset and actually called the state police. I suggested that they not do that as they would actually be the ones violating state law. However, the city dwellers know all and called. So, PSP shows up and I say hi to my co-worker who quickly gets both sides of the story, calls out a game warden. The WCO gets the scoop and quickly gets ID's from all the ladies and writes them citations for interfering with me, a hunter training dogs. I merely looked at the women and told them they should have listened to me and not called PSP...LOL I couldn't stop laughing. I even suggested that they go back to the CITY, I think they said something about the Bronx but not sure, wherever city creatures are best suited. Ahh, the never ending controversy of Rural Right vs City Wrong type people. Yup, never ceases to amaze me...LOL

I would like to see those who are not hunters restricted during hunting season in the use of SGL's. I know its legal now but I would like to see it happen. There are plenty of state parks for recreation, which, restrict hunting, go figure!!! Also, I would like to see hunting allowed on Sunday on SGL and Private Property only. This would allow State forests, Parks, and federal forests, parks for non hunters to use quads, dirt bikes, horses, hiking and whatever else but allow land owners and hunters to use land they bought and paid for.
    Last edited by customloaded; January 12th, 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Ok, one time at band camp...LOL Actually it was SGL 211 in Dauphin county, Stoney creek entrance and location. I was out training my labs to do water retrieves and an angry pack of cougars arrived (Cougars are middle aged, former soccer moms with fu fu dogs, liberal and know everything about nothing). Anyway, these very fine city dwellers, not cabin born and bred like myself, immediately complained that my labs were not on leashes. I couldn't stop laughing at such idiotic suggestion. They as a group became upset and actually called the state police. I suggested that they not do that as they would actually be the ones violating state law. However, the city dwellers know all and called. So, PSP shows up and I say hi to my co-worker who quickly gets both sides of the story, calls out a game warden. The WCO gets the scoop and quickly gets ID's from all the ladies and writes them citations for interfering with me, a hunter training dogs. I merely looked at the women and told them they should have listened to me and not called PSP...LOL I couldn't stop laughing. I even suggested that they go back to the CITY, I think they said something about the Bronx but not sure, wherever city creatures are best suited. Ahh, the never ending controversy of Rural Right vs City Wrong type people. Yup, never ceases to amaze me...LOL

I would like to see those who are not hunters restricted during hunting season in the use of SGL's. I know its legal now but I would like to see it happen. There are plenty of state parks for recreation, which, restrict hunting, go figure!!! Also, I would like to see hunting allowed on Sunday on SGL and Private Property only. This would allow State forests, Parks, and federal forests, parks for non hunters to use quads, dirt bikes, horses, hiking and whatever else but allow land owners and hunters to use land they bought and paid for.
    It is restricted.
    Check the PGC site. Look at SGL Regs.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

The worst stories I hear about SGL's come from trappers who get traps and animals stolen. Many times it is hunters doing this. I don't know why someone would want to steal a trapped coyote, fox, or raccoon, they aren't worth much money. The traps won't net someone much either. The worst are the hunters that are after small game and steal traps because their dog stepped in one. The traps won't hurt the dog more than a bruise, and the trapper is after predators that eat small game. If your dog gets in a trap, let it out and leave the trap be. If you come across a trapped legal furbearer, don't use it for target practice. If you feel it may be about the get out ( caught by a toe for instance), dispatch it, but not with: a slug gun, shot, or deer/bear/elk rifles. A .22 will suffice. A trully ethical hunter will even leave a note for the trapper apologizing for shooting the animal, but saying that they were afraid it would get loose. Oh yeah and don't go releasing a bobcat if you are in a bobcat take zone, the trapper might actually have a bobcat tag. It is actually illegal to tamper with a trap or the catch in it unless the trapper gives you permission and you have a furtaker lisc.

I have a story about city idiots too. Some boy scouts were camping on private lands and walking around without any hunter orange, on OPENING DAY of slug gun season! All the land around the private parcel is hunted and there are a # of yahoo hunters like whoever shot a buck in his hind legs ( which was later shot/killed by someone else using proper shot placement). Now you would think scoutmasters, or whoever grants them the permission to camp there( land is owned by some teachers association), would be smart enough to find out if there are any hunting seasons going on during the camping trips time. The scouts were wearing their scout uniforms which aren't exactly contrasting with the woodland. The guy who saw them opening day, then tells me he sees them again the next weekend on saturday, same deal, no orange. I guess he should have gone to tell them, not sure why he didn't, unless it was when he was up on his roof or doing some other project where he couldn't just drop everything.

When my parents first bought this property out here one of the first things they went to find out were when the hunting seasons were. Well I guess since my mother had a dad who deer hunted when she was young, and my dad was buddys with a guy who hunted when he started college, they both had some foresight. We used to go to the MD state fair every year and DNR had a big display area set up and they always had the hunting/trapping booklets available. My parents would always grab a couple. Oh and I'd say my parents had something to do with me being aware of what is going on around me, plus my dad is a skeptic about stuff ( he was born in MO LOL, even if it was Kansas City) and questions things.
    Last edited by XD40coyote; January 12th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Thank You for showing the respect.

You do know hunting season is Oct.-Feb., correct?

ETA: Spring Gobbler Season, April and May.
    Your welcome. I stay away from the range starting about mid-Sept to mid-Oct. After that it gets less traffic. As for specific seasons, I know deer starts Oct, and from what I can figure, different places different rules. Can't say I pay much attention. But it's a dead giveaway when you get to the SGL that if there are more cars than usual and no one around, it's season for something. I just go somewhere else if I'm set on walking in the woods, there's plenty around.

(Lehigh County)

(Montgomery County)

I continue to go to the range during hunting season when its open.

I can't tell you how many times I'e been sitting at the range shooting, only to see a movement down range, and look up to see 3 or more deer calmly standing on the berm, or on the side, eating, and watching the shooting...even just standing there as humans walk down to change out targets.

the deer and game in the area of the range are fully accustomed to shooting year round.

I also find it frsutrating to find non-hunters utilizing the SGL as a hiking or tourist area... meh.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lancaster County)

If orange is required of us (hunters) in any season then anyone entering state or regulated lands during that season should also be required to wear safety colors also. I never could understand why they do not require hikers, bikers or whatever to wear safety orange just as if they were hunting. I ought to tell you about the fly fisherman in totally brown outfits and the lady riding her brown horse through extremely dense thickets that I scoped out last year on my best friends dairy farm. Finally had to post one side of the stream for safety sake that runs the length of the small patch of woods during hunting season. Have not drawn up on a patch of brown to find it holding a rod since, but I still watch closely and adivise any flyfisherman I meet to consider some orange during this time of year--and yes, they fish relentlessly and I hardly ever find any ducks there anymore since they made it a catch and release deal.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456