Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question New guy needs advice.

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. I am about to embark on my first gun purchase, and was hoping that you fine outstanding citizens could help me in my journey. Here are some questions I have and hopefully you can give me your 2 cents on 1 or all both of them.

I am looking to purchase a new handgun (as opposed to pre-owned) and figure the best thing to do would be go to a local firing range, rent a few predetermined guns and see what feels the best. I live in Delaware County and would like something for home protection (ideally with a permit to carry) as well as fun on the range.

1. Any advice on where to go to rent/shoot handguns to figure out what is best for me? I live in Delaware County so please try to keep local if possible.

2. What type (make/model) of gun would you suggest for a first time buyer with home protection (intent to carry) and fun on the range as the needs?

3. Where in the area would you suggest purchasing said firearm?

Any and all serious advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Jay Dubbz; August 9th, 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added question

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: New guy needs advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dubbz View Post
    I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. I am about to embark on my first gun purchase, and was hoping that you fine outstanding citizens could help me in my journey. Here are some questions I have and hopefully you can give me your 2 cents on 1 or hopefully both of them.

I am looking to purchase a new handgun (as opposed to pre-owned) and figure the best thing to do would be go to a local firing range, rent a few predetermined guns and see what feels the best. I live in Delaware County and would like something for home protection as well as fun on the range.

1. Any advice on where to go to rent/shoot handguns to figure out what is best for me? I live in Delaware County so please try to keep local if possible.

2. What type (make/model) of gun would you suggest for a first time buyer with home protection and fun on the range as the needs?

Good luck to you ! I don't live in your area so can't give local advise - sorry. You sound like you are on the right track though -go to range, gun shops, etc. and handle many to see what feels best. If you are looking for one gun for home and range, I would go with a 38 or 9mm. Ammo is usually available for both, especially the 9mm and it is some of the cheapest. If you aren't going to carry, I would go for a 4 or 6" revolver or 4 or 5" auto. I have a Springfield XD40 in the nightstand, but it comes in 9mm too. Good luck, be safe, and check out a bunch before you buy

My 4" Springfield XD 9mm was my first gun and I still love it to pieces. It is in my nightstand and gets used more than any of my other guns at the range.

I am in York county so I can't help witht he range/rental stuff but that is a great idea... get your hands on and shoot as many as possible before purchasing!

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

Question #1 most gun range will let you rent and shoot the rental guns on display they require that you buy and shoot the ammo they provide or sell there at the range. They usually have a good selection of guns to rent and shoot.

A cheaper route is if you have friends that are into Guns and they let you shoot there collection.

Question 2 I usually recommend buying and training on a Revolver S&W, Colt or Ruger. Easy and simple to use and train on less chances of problems or mix up.
    The Semi auto in a new users hand I've seen Gun Range take a new user off the range for unsafe use of handgun shooting rapid fire up a near by wall?? Or looking down the gun barrel t won't fire because the safety was on. With the Revolver there are less things to worry about.

Most Gun Ranges have Gun safety Classes the semi course could be supplied by your friends that know Gun safety rules.

(Bucks County)

2. What type (make/model) of gun would you suggest for a first time buyer with home protection (intent to carry) and fun on the range as the needs?
    This is a tough question to answer, as there are MANY very good choices, and not a lot of bad ones. This is a very personal choice and depends on many factors like how much you're willing to spend, how you envision using the gun, whether you see yourself owning more than one, how often you plan to shoot, who else might be using the gun, etc.

Overall, it's hard to go wrong with a subcompact 9mm from Glock, Springfield, or Smith & Wesson. The are all moderately priced and reliable, and you can get a wide range of accessories for them. On top of that, they will be very easy to resell at a minimal loss if you change your mind.

If you think you might want something in a beefier caliber, consider getting one of the .40 cal Glocks, as you can get conversion barrels to make them 9mm or possibly even .22, for cheaper fun at the range.

If you want something really nice and slim/compact for carry, consider a Walther PPS, or a Kahr PM9 or CW9.

If you are on a budget, and looking for maximum bang for the buck, consider the offerings in 9mm from Ruger (e.g. SR9 or P95) or a Stoeger Cougar in either 9mm or .40 (they also have a .45, but it's more money, and not economical to shoot). These guns aren't a picnic to carry, except maybe the Ruger SR9c.
    Last edited by rikilii; August 9th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    This is a tough question to answer, as there are MANY very good choices, and not a lot of bad ones. This is a very personal choice and depends on many factors like how much you're willing to spend, how you envision using the gun, whether you see yourself owning more than one, how often you plan to shoot, who else might be using the gun, etc.

Overall, it's hard to go wrong with a subcompact 9mm from Glock, Springfield, or Smith & Wesson. The are all moderately priced and reliable, and you can get a wide range of accessories for them. On top of that, they will be very easy to resell at a minimal loss if you change your mind.

If you think you might want something in a beefier caliber, consider getting one of the .40 cal Glocks, as you can get conversion barrels to make them 9mm or possibly even .22, for cheaper fun at the range.

If you want something really nice and slim/compact for carry, consider a Walther PPS, or a Kahr PM9 or CW9.

If you are on a budget, and looking for maximum bang for the buck, consider the offerings in 9mm from Ruger (e.g. SR9 or P95) or a Stoeger Cougar in either 9mm or .40 (they also have a .45, but it's more money, and not economical to shoot). These guns aren't a picnic to carry, except maybe the Ruger SR9c.
    By the way, you're only about 40 minutes from Classic Pistol in Southampton, which is a great place to rent and shoot. Give them a call before you go, though, because they may have a rule about renting if you don't have your own gun, or aren't with someone that has one.

They also have a great shop, but the prices are a little high. You can save yourself about 10% by driving another 15-20 minutes to Tanners Sports in Jamison.
    Last edited by rikilii; August 9th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.

(Cumberland County)

One piece of advice I'd give you would be to not exclude used guns. Guns are like cars. Once you drive it off the lot they lose a good bit of value. A good/reputable dealer won't misrepresent a firearm, and you can save money. Just a suggestion.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. I am about to embark on my first gun purchase, and was hoping that you fine outstanding citizens could help me in my journey. Here are some questions I have and hopefully you can give me your 2 cents on 1 or all both of them.

I am looking to purchase a new handgun (as opposed to pre-owned) and figure the best thing to do would be go to a local firing range, rent a few predetermined guns and see what feels the best. I live in Delaware County and would like something for home protection (ideally with a permit to carry) as well as fun on the range.

3. Where in the area would you suggest purchasing said firearm?

1. Local, I don't know. But if you're willing to make a trip I would recommend you stop by Classic Pistol in Southhampton, PA. It's right outside of Philadelphia. They have training courses, a wide array of rental pistols and an excellent indoor range with knowledgable employees. I would highly recommend you make the trip.

2. Whatever is most comfortable to use/shoot. I personally chose the G19 after trying several Glock models because of the comfort level of shooting that particular model.

3. Surplus City, Feasterville, PA.

(Monroe County)

A great video link for you to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRbkOdUgms

here is a nuthin fancy's review on a kel-tec pf9,he makes a good point along the lines of what your looking for,a good not so expensive (i paid $199 for mine used but like new) first gun.
    1) not a lot of money
    2) good for home defence........ for now!
    3) a blast to shoot (kicks pretty hard but its accurate when you get used to it)
    4) once you get your LTCF you already have a great carry gun, my personal favorite!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

I echo Surplus City as another excellent choice for a firearm in the same area as Classic and Tanners. They also have good prices and a lot of nice used firearms. I got my first gun there, a .357 Smith Model 66.

Classic Pistol won't let you rent there if unless you come with someone else or already have your own gun. If that doesn't work, you might want to try Ready Aim Fire, which is another good range, just a little further away. I think Target World is closer to you, but I haven't heard many good things about that place, and I've never been there myself.

Also, budsgunshop.com is a good site to use as a benchmark for gun prices. You may actually find better prices at Tanners, but this is a good guideline.

Finally, another word of advice: if you are totally new to firearms, at least take a safety and basic marksmanship course. Classic Pistol has good offerings, or you could search for a nearby NRA pistol safety course.
    Last edited by rikilii; August 9th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast