I have a Marlin 336 SS I'd like to scope for deer hunting. I've never purchased a scope before, but I am fairly educated about optics & lens materials & coatings in general due to my hobby of photography & 18 year & counting career as certified optician.

So what is a good scope for PA deer hunting on this gun?

I want quality at budget pricing. I don't want crap, but I don't need to pay for a brand name if I can get the same quality & warranty in a less populat brand.

I have seen some lower end Leupold & Nikon scopes in my price range, but I'm wondering if there might be an off brand that I could get something better for that same price, or get the same level scope for less money.

Optics, light transmission, and durability are the most important, but light weight & excellent warranty are also features I'd like to see present in my choice.

Is a 3-9x40 Leupold for $180 on sale a good deal? How does it compare to the $160-170 Nikon?

One salesman tells me he doesn't like Nikon because they wouldn't cover a scope he had that was damaged when it slid off his car seat onto the floor while in the box... but Leupold covers anything, even if you knock it around in the woods & damage it.

The salesman at the next place tells me Leupolds are overpriced & all his scopes are Nikon & he loves them...

There are so many scopes out there... I'm reading the brocures, scanning the net, & just getting more & more confused & frustrated!

So what do you guys have?
Do you like what you have?
and lastly, Why do you like or not like your particular scope?

Thanks in advance!