Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: My rant against Anthony Arms (West Mifflin, PA)

they will always lie on the phone! I've even called them on my cell when i was in the store and observed the person who was talking to me. In answer to my question he said he'd check. laid the phone down, took a bite of his sandwich and then picked up the phone [without getting up] and told me he had the item that i was standing next to the empty display of, and then looked surprised when i hung up the phone and said to him loudly, that i already checked myself and that they didn't have any. i then waved at him and walked out!

I've done that sort of thing twice there!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Monroe County)

^WOW
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    they will always lie on the phone! I've even called them on my cell when i was in the store and observed the person who was talking to me. In answer to my question he said he'd check. laid the phone down, took a bite of his sandwich and then picked up the phone [without getting up] and told me he had the item that i was standing next to the empty display of, and then looked surprised when i hung up the phone and said to him loudly, that i already checked myself and that they didn't have any. i then waved at him and walked out!

I've done that sort of thing twice there!
    Make a Video. lol. It would be funny to see.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by shelley66 View Post
    I was given no other information or an offer to possibly order one for me.
    Sounds about right. I went in a few weeks ago looking for a 9MM pocket gun in the $300 area, they had 3 shelves of .380s but no 9MMs. Two employees were waiting on me, I think I was the only customer there. one began to trail off about how Kel Tec or Bersa are hard to get, something to do with "special warehouses," just an excuse to not order one. He then showed me a larger gun that wouldn't fit in my pocket, the conversation went something like this:

Me: That one looks too wide, I'm looking for something that I can drop into a pocket (I motion to my pant pocket to show the width.)
    Him: Well the thing about this gun is, it's thinner than those other ones.
    Me: It could be as thin as a pancake but I couldn't fit one in my pocket.
    (both starting to laugh at this point)
    Him: You could if you folded it.
    Me: So does this gun fold?
    (he laughs and shakes his head, I laugh and walk with him back to the .380s)

My only complaint, and it's not a big one, is that they don't seem to have any drive to keep you in the store or as a returning customer. If they don't have what you want, tough luck, pick something in stock or be on your way. I felt the employees were friendly and sociable, but passive to the extent that they're more interested in talking about whatever movie's on the TV than trying to make a sale.

I shop at The Gun Rack in Belle Vernon, it's a small store but no matter what I want they just flip open a book, tell me the price, and order it. The problem here is it's not really "shopping" if you know exactly what you want, and I don't know where to go to handle a few guns before choosing one. I'll check out Ace.

(Lancaster County)

I went to Anthony Arms once, when I had driven out to Pittsburgh to buy a gun from another forum member. It seemed like your typical "established" gun store. I was in there for an hour (they do have a lot to look at) and not once was I approached by an employee, even when I was looming over the handgun cases and they were standing right there.

I'm a man, I don't think they're attitude was based on you being a woman, I just think they (like so many shops) don't know anything about customer service.

Unfortunately, working in a gun shop is kind of like working in a record store. It seems like one of those jobs that has to be cool. The mindset of people seeking a job because it's going to be cool or fun is often inappropriate. They don't understand that just because your job is fun, doesn't mean you don't still have to focus on customer service and growing your customer base.

People get particularly incensed when gun shops have this kind of attitude toward customers. Unlike a record store, when I go to a gun shop I may be planning on dropping $500-$2000 in one shot. Even though their margins may be low, that's a lot of money to spend at one time--and they have to understand that there's a certain attitude and demeanor that people who are willing to hand you that kind of cash are expecting.

I can't help but think it has something to do with the scare of '09 as well. When everyone was clamoring for guns it didn't matter how you treated your customers. We would come in, pay whatever psychotic price was being demanded, and then thank them for being so gracious as to take our money.

A lot of shops increased staff during that time and I'm sure many of those employees are still working. If you learn about the gun business during a time like that, you certainly won't develop any lasting customer service skills.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, as apparently many have had there as well. I'm sure there's another shop that will be happy to have you as a customer.

(Allegheny County)

Ive never had a problem there, in fact they have always been very kind to me.
    They have posted flyers for rallys, for fundraiser, and the employees even gave me cash from their pockets for FOAC when I told them about a fundraiser I was holding becasue they couldnt make it out.

A few years back when I was looking for a particular gun they didnt have for rent to try out Leo there told me he owned one. He brought it in for me to try at their indoor range the next week, for free.

The first time my son ever shot was there, for free.

When my wife was doing her senior marketing project on the marketing of firearms to women they let us set up there on ladys night and we brought coffee and cookie and had customers fill out surveys. They put up sign for it the week before and helped us promote the event.

Yeah, they have the used car dealer type prices. Its the kind of place where you need to haggle a bit.

Ive returned a few things (my fault got a wrong holster, and their fault gave me a wrong mag) with lost reciepts and never had an issue.

of course, people like me ......... lol

(Allegheny County)

I hate Anthony Arms.

(Allegheny County)

on one hand, i have only limited experience with anthony arms.

on the other hand, there is a reason i have only limited experience with anthony arms.

(for example, shooting there for an hour--about 100 9mm rounds--cost me $50 back when you could buy 250 round 9mm UMC megapacks for $30.)
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

My impression of AA is that it's nothing more than a hobby to the people who own it and work there. They sure as heck don't run it like it's their only source of income. I personally have been treated OK beyond their "attitude" (which is not untypical of gun store employees).
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I've had my ups and downs there over the years. Don't really use their range since I feel their prices, particularly on ammo is on the high side. I also experienced being lied to on the phone prior to driving there.
    I do most of my business with a couple local places, but mainly online these days, and Anthony Arms can't begin to compete with online pricing in most cases.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast