Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default how can i tell what model mauser i have?

i was just given a mauser and want to know how to tell what it is, it has "fabfica de armas oviedo 1907" on the reciever and the numbers on the barrel, reciever, and the mag plate all match. thanks in advance for any help.
    jake

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: how can i tell what model mauser i have?

Information on your Spanish Mauser

Enjoy your mauser, hopefully its a shooter. Mausers are a LOT of fun.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lycoming County)

thanks, but i have been at google for about an hour and a half and still cannot find info on modle numbers. i can find lots of info about other years but nothing on 1907. or am i missing something?

(Philadelphia County)

take some pics and head over to www.militaryfirearm.com

These people live for this stuff. They'll tell you things about your rifle you couldn't even imagine.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lycoming County)

thanks, i'll check them out. also i have fired 5 rounds from the gun and it seems to function perfect. but i noticed that on each of the spent cases, the primer backs out about .060 would that mean that it needs to have the head space checked?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    thanks, i'll check them out. also i have fired 5 rounds from the gun and it seems to function perfect. but i noticed that on each of the spent cases, the primer backs out about .060 would that mean that it needs to have the head space checked?
    No idea. The people in that forum I mentioned would know 100%
    ==============
    ~Samuel Adams

~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

although this segment deals somewhat with Fr-7 and FR-8 mausers, it does touch on the 1893 which is what I'd guess you have.

Pic.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser93spanish/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...tion/index.asp

I have one dated 1924. It was sporterized and is chambered in 7mm mauser. I bought it for $24 in about 1975 or so. It's not much of a shooter but has killed a deer at 50 yds.

27hand

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    I would say to slug the barrel before shooting again. If the barrel is .318 diameter and you are shooting .323 diameter bullet it may be causing excessive pressure pushing the primer back.

Because of 2 different barrel diameters, I think the smaller diameter was not made past 1905-1909, US ammo makers load 8mm Mauser ammo on the low side in case someone has an older Mauser with a .318 bore and shoots ammo loaded with .323 diameter bullets so your gun doesn't blow up in your face. Basically, lawyered down loads.

(Lycoming County)

i will check the barrel i.d. it uses a 7mmx57 round. atleast thats what i shot throught it i think i am going to send a pm to xringshooter and see if he can check it over for me.

Let's take a peek buy talking about the Mauser.
    First, does the rifle "cock on opening"? Which means exactly what it sounds like.
    When you throw the bolt open, does the cocking piece force it's way out the rear of the bolt? If so, it's a model '98 Mauser. Model '93 and model '95 Mausers
    "cock on closing"
    Second, does the bolt have the '98 Mauser "third lug"? Open the bolt, and, on the extractor side, or bolt handle side, there will be a lug about 1/4" ahead of the bolt handle, in line with the claw extractor, that locks into the bottom of the receiver upon closing.
    Since the word "Modelo" is used, I would be believe that you most likely have
    what is referred to as a "Spanish", or 1893 Mauser, which were generally 7X57mm.
    Good luck on your search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast