Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Alert Allegheny Residents firearm permit holders

Quote Originally Posted by Jared McLaughlin View Post
    You may notice I have just joined this forum. I joined to share what I have learned and to make public record. Over the past few days I have been playing phone tag with Mr. Kress to get his position on LTCF. I noticed as many of you did that his position was not on record. I had an extended phone conversation with him today detailing his thoughts on the office. From memory, as I could take notes fast enough:

1. Mr. Kress views the administration of the sheriff's office much like a business, where the cost of doing bussiness must be kept low, as it is tax payer money. On the same token, customer service is the highest priority. His intent is to streamline the process of LTCF issuance and ensure that there is a mechanism for feedback with regards to the quality of service recieved.

2. Specifically on LTCF, Mr. Kress expressed his displeasure with the length of time it takes to be issued new or renewed licenses. I asked if he would return to the instant check system, as it was a system that demonstrably worked. He replied that and instant system is the ideal, and if the resources are available he would like to do that. He did not want to commit to something that may be technically impossible, but said that he wants it to take as little time as possible. He suggested having the application for the license available on the internet, so that the individual could apply from home and come get the license when the background check was completed.

3. On the subject of customer service, Mr. Kress believes that keeping the office open on Saturday is a justifiable expense. I had countered that closing the office on Saturdays may be necessary in managing tax payer money. He said that managerial creativity could be used to ensure that those costs are kept low, possibly by ensuring that those man hours are not overtime hours, or making reductions at other times. He seems to feel strongly about opening the office on Saturdays, as many people who do business with the Sherrif cannot make it to the office through the week.

4. I did not ask the question, but Mr. Kress included himself as a firearm owner. I don't feel it proper to ask whether an individual carries a firearm, so I didn't ask.

5. He voiced his displeasure with Mr. Mullen supporting the AWB. His views expressed on the AWB with regards to the futility and senseless abrogation of an essential liberty is likely to be in line with many of yours.

6. He stated his intent to keep in contact with the Allegheny County Sportmen's League as a method to keep his "ears to the ground" with regards to the opinions of firearms owners in the county. He said he would like to meet with them on a monthly basis, in person if possible, or via a staffer if necessary.

7. Ancillary to firearms licenses, but important in my mind, he feels that an elected sherrif is more responsive to the desires of the people than a politically selected one.

All in all, I was pleased that a candidate for an office would be as dilligent in returning my phone call. I am not an easy person to get hold of. Mr. Kress seems to understand the feelings of firearms owners in the county, and is responsive to our ideas and supportive of our rights. In my opinion a public official who understands their role is to defend the rights of the citizens, and to serve the people is better than any efficiencies or experience in office.

I would like to say I didn't just sign up to deliver this message, but I did. I read this forum often, usually to keep up to date on the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club. I don't often have information to share so I never signed up before. I feel strongly about the right to bear arms, and have personally witnessed the affect that changing sherrif's had on the application of that right. I investigated the alternative, Mr. Kress, and heard what I wanted to hear. If there are errors in the above, they are mine and attributable to my faulty memory. I hope that the information helps you make a decision.

Jared McLaughlin
    Jared

I WANT PERSONALLY TO THANK YOU for posting this, doing you own research on this important issue.

In my post I tried to stay on what I had a public record of someone saying or doing rather on hearsay or just my opinion.

In my conversations with Ed Kress over the spring and summer months I can confirm everything Jared posted except item 4, which I also did not ask Ed Kress out of respect. I am very pleased to confirm your post and statements.

Also welcome to the PAFOA forums, don’t be a stranger..
    Last edited by WhiteFeather; November 1st, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: mis spelled

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Thanks Jared for your report!
    yes, thank you.

and i hope you stick around.

don't let not having "information to share" stop you from posting.

most of us don't have anything of substance to share, but it doesn't stop us from posting.

(and, i bet you actually have a lot to contribute.)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes, thank you.

and i hope you stick around.

don't let not having "information to share" stop you from posting.

most of us don't have anything of substance to share, but it doesn't stop us from posting.

(and, i bet you actually have a lot to contribute.)
    Hey. Speak for yourself!

Really though, look at my post count. Not a whole lot of "substance" in there, but there is a lot of love for my fellow firearm owners!
    Stick around Jared. There is life beyond The GPGC! LOL! Thanks for sharing!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    a lot of love for my fellow firearm owners!
    Group hug...not to be confused with GRoPa hug

No substance here either, just mindless dribble to increase my post count in a vain attempt to be more like Emptymag.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Jared for your report!

Hawk,
    The pleasure was all mine, sir.

Jared

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Jared

I WANT PERSONALLY TO THANK YOU for posting this, doing you own research on this important issue.

In my post I tried to stay on what I had a public record of someone saying or doing rather on hearsay or just my opinion.

In my conversations with Ed Kress over the spring and summer months I can confirm everything Jared posted except item 4, which I also did not ask Ed Kress out of respect. I am very pleased to confirm your post and statements.

Also welcome to the PAFOA forums, don’t be a stranger..
    I'm glad to have confirmation on these points. It appears to me that we still live in a nominal republic. As a citizen of a republic, I see the voting process as important which implies a duty to be informed and share such information. Our republic stands only on the dedication of our citizens and those that we delegate to maintain the government on a daily basis in our stead. What business owner would employ a man without knowing first if he is qualified for the job? I have chosen the questions that I have as I think that an intent to honor the obligation of defense of the constitutions of our state and nation is the first qualification for any civil servant.

Jared McLaughlin

(Allegheny County)

I just renewed my permit last week on the 17th, took an hour off work (unpaid) drove downtown, paid for parking, and spent 5 minutes in the office, and I'll have to do it again in 14-45 days?. I'll let you guys know if I get the post card in 2 weeks. BTW, this is my 4th time I've renewed and the first time I had to go through this bull.

Hawk,
    FYI,
    I got my post card this past Friday the 2nd of November. So, 2 weeks and 2 days for my renewal.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

HAWK my Allegheny county permit is on going on its 4th renewal come late spring of 2008. I am NOT looking forward to going downtown twice let alone take off work twice to do something that shouldn't take 20 minutes max one time.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib...ounty.php?id=1

100% (1,320 OF 1,320 PRECINCTS REPORTING)
    Sheriff
    Democrats (1 nominees)
    Bill Mullen 147,102

Republicans (1 nominees)
    Edward Kress 89,941

I can't wait to post the more than less pro-gun future remarks by Sheriff Mullens, I really HOPE won't have anything to post

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT VOTED & DID SOMETHING

(Allegheny County)

I applied on October 19th and received my yellow card dated 11/7

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345