Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Alert Allegheny Residents firearm permit holders

Quote Originally Posted by chaz-heston-4-prez View Post
    ...plus, he still lives at home with his mother!!!
    And while I'm at it -- this comment makes you lose any credibility you may have had.

Just another gun-toting liberal

"According to the General Social Science Survey, about 30% of people who describe themselves as Liberal own a handgun. That works out to about 8 million gun toting Liberals, and doesn't even include moderates or long-gun owning Liberals."

(Allegheny County)

BTW, Favabean... welcome back. We "spoke" briefly when I first joined here and then you were gone... (at least it seemed that way)

Oh, and his credibility was lost when he had to type that friggin' name in ALL CAPS every single time... boy, I hope his subliminal powers don't take control of me when I step into the voting booth! (bites nails)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

That has gotta be some little "closet bitch" of Mullens'. Gotta vote against Mullen....the only thing worst than him would be Mrs. Clinton or Bloomberg.

I need to submit my renewal application. Anyone else need to go? We could split parking. PM me.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chaz-heston-4-prez View Post
    MULLEN is not a politician...he is a mans-man...a cops-cop...take a trip to the courthouse, ask MULLEN if he is carrying a firearm at that moment, i'll bet my house he is (glock 9mm)...he ALWAYS DOES....
    Yeah, cool. He just doesn't want me or anyone else to carry theirs. In all seriousness, his record as a COP sounds impressive. The problem is, his record so far as acting Sheriff of Allegheny County towards law abiding firearm owners isn't to good.
    Maybe if I were a cops cop, I wouldn't need to worry about having to defend myself, but I'm not. I'm a law abiding citizen who needs and expects my rights as they were given me. Not made up rules by Mr Mullen.
    And you might have to actually read through the forum a bit, but you'll find some names of cops, as well as whole police departments that don't know, nor care, about our rights. So being a cop isn't the end all argument.
    And though I haven't lived at home for 25 years...just want to send a shout out to her.......Love ya mom!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    I need to submit my renewal application. Anyone else need to go? We could split parking. PM me.
    I'm heading down tomorrow, but I'm bringing the bike to get me some free parking.

You are welcome to come, if you don't mind riding bitch.

~Brian

(Allegheny County)

It's YOUR Freedom - It's YOUR Vote!
    Vote Edward J. Kress on Tuesday, November 6!
    Tuesday, November 6 is Election Day. Your National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund (www.NRAPVF.org) has endorsed EDWARD J. KRESS for Sheriff of Allegheny County.

Edward J. Kress

"A" Rated and NRA-PVF Endorsed

Be sure to spread the word to your family, friends and fellow gun owners to vote for EDWARD J. KRESS on Tuesday, November 6!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not so sure Mullen being a lifetime cop is a good fit for the Sheriff.

IMO, we need a civilian in an office like that. Someone in touch with "We The People" and not in touch with "Us VS. Them". Honestly, I think a lawyer would be ideal so long as he's reputable.

Also, living with his mother? Who cares? Have you seen the property taxes in this county? Shit, I wish I could live with my mom!
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jbacharach View Post
    I am posting this on behalf of Bill Mullen. I am not just posting something that I have been told by his campaign. I am Sheriff Mullen's, Solicitor and I have personal knowledge of the facts presented by Sheriff Mullen in this post.

Allow me to respond to Alert Allegheny Residents firearm permit holders, regarding my position on permits to carry firearms in Allegheny County.

First and foremost, let me be absolutely clear that I fully support the Second Amendment and the rights of all law-abiding citizens to carry a firearm. The Sheriff’s Office has the responsibility, however, of ensuring that individuals receiving a license to carry a concealed firearm are not a threat to our citizens or the communities where they live and work.

Recently, our office, while checking firearm applicants for criminal records, identified an individual applying for a permit who was on the FBI terrorist watch list and who had made false statements on the application.

In these threatening times, it has become necessary for Sheriff Offices to conduct checks on firearm permit applicants utilizing the computer technology now available to law enforcement, so that individuals like the one I have just described do not receive a firearms permit. To do less would be irresponsible.

Regrettably, It is true that the firearms unit of the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office is no longer operating on Saturdays. Unfortunately, in these difficult fiscal times, our office must operate under an extremely tight budget, and we no longer are able to pay the overtime associated for providing this service. The office is, however, exploring the prospect of operating the firearms unit on some evenings or Saturdays each month in 2008 to accommodate those who are not able to make application during normal business hours.

The Sheriff’s Office also plans to make applications available online to save firearm permit holders time, and make the service more convenient. It should also be noted that although state law allows for permits to take up to 45 days to be issued, on average our office regularly issues permits within a two-week period.

It is interesting that my critics do not make known the fact that the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office has already issued 9,248 firearm permits this year, compared to 7,804 in all of 2006, and 8,743 in 2005; and rest assured the office will continue to draw on technology to enable us to streamline the process and at the same time make it more effective.

I invite and encourage your comments on this, or any other issue, of importance to your membership. Please contact me at mullenforsheriff@hotmail.com or at 412-563-2980.

BILL MULLEN, SHERIFF
    County of Allegheny

So did acting sheriff Mullen arrest this individual on the terrorist watch list, did anyone else arrest them? Making False statements signed under penalty of perjury is ILLEGAL. No one wants the criminals on the streets, let alone having firearms, why are these people not being arrested when they break the law?

Using the instant check system you mentioned, it takes what 5 minutes, last time my permit renewal was done in less than 15 minutes. Why do people have to come back in two weeks average for renewals?

Also acting sheriff Mullen is just thinking about possibility of one sat a month when it was suggested to him 8 months ago at the ACSL meeting and NOW that the election is next week Mullen is just exploring the possibility of one Sat a month for 2008.
    Nice timing……

Note also the 1.50 mailing notice of expiration was not under acting sheriff Mullen administration so he is blameless on this

Also found this info from Allegheny County Sportsmen League March 2007 where acting sheriff Mullen spoke to ACSL.

Read all of it here.
    http://acslpa.org/n_mtgmin/mar07mtgmin.htm

Sheriff William Mullen was introduced to those present. Sheriff Mullen stated his appearance at this meeting was to establish a better relationship with the ACSL, and to answer complaints regarding firearms licensing. He requested all complaints be registered with him.

Page 2

Approximately 7800- licenses are given yearly. Chairman Kim Stolfer stating that the ACSL was responsible for PA’s Concealed Carry Law and wants to see this law enforced correctly. Renewal notices were not being sent out, even though $1.50 was paid every five years by those renewing their permits; denying individuals to renewing their permits early

impacted individuals of all walks; these instances justify complaints. A proposal was stated that one Saturday monthly be staffed to allow people who cannot get there during the week to get a permit. Sheriff Mullen stated his budget and lack of people necessary, does not permit this. The ACSL can request the sheriff’s attendance at further meetings.

Questions can be directed to Sheriff Mullen at 412.350.4719.

Representative Marc Gergely was introduced to those present. Rep. Gergely thanked those who attended the Committee of the Whole in Harrisburg, stating they did make a difference.

and helped educate Marc considerably on the gun issues.

Marc stated the Youth Fishing License is an important issue that he will be promoting.

Controversial hearing on hunting/deer management took place with Carl Roe. Point of sale, social security number (required once); these points were addressed. The Federal Government is an obstacle. It is necessary that the Commissioners(with groups such as the ACSL encouraging them) to address the Federal Government.

Question was asked if an independent commission is favored, the representative answered yes.

Resources of the Violence Policy Center to legally assist anyone who cares to bring suit against a club for led toxicity? (Environmental Stewardship Plan) No comment.

Update on Sunday Hunting – will go to Committee to give PGC authority to allow Sunday to be added to the season.

Legislative Committee – Chairman Stolfer announced the filing of a joint lawsuit against Allegheny County Council to put to the voters the proposed change to appointing the Allegheny County Sheriff. The ACSL and PA Sheriff’s Assoc. found this action necessary due to the unwillingness of council to address the concerns of unconstitutionality as well as the act of depriving the legal right of gun owners, sportsmen and women to choose their elected representatives.

Pro-gun News Conference to be held in Harrisburg April 24 – A lobbying and education day, focusing on freshmen legislators to connect them with our pro-gun agenda as was accomplished last year. The package of bills put together by anti-gun forces includes “a ban on assault weapons, limiting handgun purchases to one a month, and allow Philadelphia to establish its own gun rules. To achieve their intent, a series of so-called “informational hearings on Gun Violence”(a blatant attempt to manipulate public opinion) are scheduled.

Page 3

Legislation continued . .

March 28 – Pittsburgh (Oakland neighborhood CMU) Kim will testify.

Please take this opportunity to provide us with your thoughts and suggestions so that we can make this effort as successful as possible. Contact Kim at 412.221.3346

Attorney General Tom Corbett continues to do a good job at pressing other states to enter into reciprocity with PA for Concealed Carry of Firearms. 14 states carry the agreement, last being Oklahoma.

(Allegheny County)

You may notice I have just joined this forum. I joined to share what I have learned and to make public record. Over the past few days I have been playing phone tag with Mr. Kress to get his position on LTCF. I noticed as many of you did that his position was not on record. I had an extended phone conversation with him today detailing his thoughts on the office. From memory, as I could take notes fast enough:

1. Mr. Kress views the administration of the sheriff's office much like a business, where the cost of doing bussiness must be kept low, as it is tax payer money. On the same token, customer service is the highest priority. His intent is to streamline the process of LTCF issuance and ensure that there is a mechanism for feedback with regards to the quality of service recieved.

2. Specifically on LTCF, Mr. Kress expressed his displeasure with the length of time it takes to be issued new or renewed licenses. I asked if he would return to the instant check system, as it was a system that demonstrably worked. He replied that and instant system is the ideal, and if the resources are available he would like to do that. He did not want to commit to something that may be technically impossible, but said that he wants it to take as little time as possible. He suggested having the application for the license available on the internet, so that the individual could apply from home and come get the license when the background check was completed.

3. On the subject of customer service, Mr. Kress believes that keeping the office open on Saturday is a justifiable expense. I had countered that closing the office on Saturdays may be necessary in managing tax payer money. He said that managerial creativity could be used to ensure that those costs are kept low, possibly by ensuring that those man hours are not overtime hours, or making reductions at other times. He seems to feel strongly about opening the office on Saturdays, as many people who do business with the Sherrif cannot make it to the office through the week.

4. I did not ask the question, but Mr. Kress included himself as a firearm owner. I don't feel it proper to ask whether an individual carries a firearm, so I didn't ask.

5. He voiced his displeasure with Mr. Mullen supporting the AWB. His views expressed on the AWB with regards to the futility and senseless abrogation of an essential liberty is likely to be in line with many of yours.

6. He stated his intent to keep in contact with the Allegheny County Sportmen's League as a method to keep his "ears to the ground" with regards to the opinions of firearms owners in the county. He said he would like to meet with them on a monthly basis, in person if possible, or via a staffer if necessary.

7. Ancillary to firearms licenses, but important in my mind, he feels that an elected sherrif is more responsive to the desires of the people than a politically selected one.

All in all, I was pleased that a candidate for an office would be as dilligent in returning my phone call. I am not an easy person to get hold of. Mr. Kress seems to understand the feelings of firearms owners in the county, and is responsive to our ideas and supportive of our rights. In my opinion a public official who understands their role is to defend the rights of the citizens, and to serve the people is better than any efficiencies or experience in office.

I would like to say I didn't just sign up to deliver this message, but I did. I read this forum often, usually to keep up to date on the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club. I don't often have information to share so I never signed up before. I feel strongly about the right to bear arms, and have personally witnessed the affect that changing sherrif's had on the application of that right. I investigated the alternative, Mr. Kress, and heard what I wanted to hear. If there are errors in the above, they are mine and attributable to my faulty memory. I hope that the information helps you make a decision.

Jared McLaughlin

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Jared for your report!

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast