Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Advice to improve my pistol shooting?

Now that my oldest son has taken an interest in shooting, I have somebody to go to the range with for some informal competition. I really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to competing at my club but first I've got to lick my issue.

When I first started to shoot pistols, my shots were often low and left. I took a private lesson and I saw some immediate improvement, no more jerking the trigger Now my shots are consistently in the center of the target but low, low, low, always low. Usually about 4 inches below the bullseye. My shots are low regardless of which pistol I use, be it the Sig P226, 1911 or my Beretta M9.

Any suggestions for things to try when I head to the range tomorrow? I know that I need to get a lot more rounds down range to really improve, which is why the 22 conversion kit is on the way for the 226, but I need to get my head around what i could be doing.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Advice to improve my pistol shooting?

I am going to guess it is still trigger control. Can you have someone watch you from the side while you dry fire and see if you tip the muzzle down as you squeeze the trigger.

(Dauphin County)

Sounds like you are anticipating the shot. When you do that you tend to try and force the muzzle down to (what you think you are going to do) "try" and hold it down instead of just riding it. Easy way to tell is have someone load a dummy round in the mag and watch you shoot. See if when you drop the hammer (or striker) on the dummy round, you are forcing the muzzle down. It's a sort of "flinch". I see it a lot. With really new shooters on larger caliber guns using sillouette targets you end up with "crotch shots" on the target. soon as we see it we know exactly what is happening.

Just have to concetrate on the sights, relax, and "let it ride" and not try and hold it down. Another way is to do as an old wise shooter told me "don't shoot a lot, shoot often". tranlated means, don't go out once every 2 months and shoot 200-300 rounds a session. it's a waste of time and fatique sets in (also where you will start to see "shot anticipation" creep in) and you start to just force shots. Waste of practice time. Go once a week (or more if possible) and shoot 50-60 rounds.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Just remember the five elements of a good shot.
    1. Stance, whether you use weaver or square stance, make sure you've got it right.
    2. Grip, whether you use a Combat grip or otherwise, make sure you have that right.
    3. Sight alignment, focus hard on that front sight
    4. Trigger control, nice smooth even squeezing pull. Let the trigger break surprise you.
    5. Don't flinch, randomly load a dummy round into each of your magazines and mix them up and pick them up at random when you reload so that you don't know where the dummies are. Super effective at diagnosing and fixing the dreaded flinch.

Thats how I get people to hit what they shoot at. Hope it helps.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by crashland View Post
    Now that my oldest son has taken an interest in shooting, I have somebody to go to the range with for some informal competition. I really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to competing at my club but first I've got to lick my issue.

When I first started to shoot pistols, my shots were often low and left. I took a private lesson and I saw some immediate improvement, no more jerking the trigger Now my shots are consistently in the center of the target but low, low, low, always low. Usually about 4 inches below the bullseye. My shots are low regardless of which pistol I use, be it the Sig P226, 1911 or my Beretta M9.

Any suggestions for things to try when I head to the range tomorrow? I know that I need to get a lot more rounds down range to really improve, which is why the 22 conversion kit is on the way for the 226, but I need to get my head around what i could be doing.
    i do the same thing as well low and to the left, although i got a bigger frame glock and my shooting was better but still a little low

Consistently low usually means you have a flinch or "push". There is a chance you may even be closing your eyes when the trigger breaks.

"The "open and surprise" break, "The compressed surprise break".

Army AMU Pistol Marksmanship manual
    http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_...rain_Guide.pdf

(Lebanon County)

the front sight is everything.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Brian is correct, the front sight is everything. Front sight should be in clear, sharp focus. Target blurry, not the primary focus. Rear sight blurry, not in focus.
    Last edited by ForwardAssist; August 10th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.

(Washington County)

Thanks for the pointers everybody. I can't wait to get back to the range, I don't care if we are in for another 90 degree day or not.

I think that I am indeed pushing the barrel down and anticipating the shot and now I have something to work on.

I finally joined a nice club and I can get to the range, shoot 50 or so rounds and make it home in about 45 minutes. It used to be a 45 minute drive just to get to the range, so I would go once a month and shoot a few hundred rounds, now I will go once or twice a week and keep it short and concentrated.

Thanks again for the tips!

(Monroe County)

Try my Russian Roulette method.
    Have someone load the pistol for you w/o you looking.
    Keeping the muzzle down range give it to you.
    Then have them give it you ramdomly w/o a round loaded. I even keep a empty mag in it.
    Your anticipating the shot will be very clear when you shove the muzzle down.
    One other cheap method is to get a laser pointer and carefully put it in the muzzle. Then dry fire at a piece of paper. Watch the dot and use the posted charts.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast