Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Is it true the h&k mk23 is discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    IMO you couldn't give me a mark23. good luck tryin to ever get parts for it if it breaks. And lets be logical, shit does break, regardless of who makes it.
    The best point yet against the Mark 23. I'm sure H&K will have some of the more common parts for a while. Then what? $2,000.00+ for an out of production, overpriced handgun is really taking a gamble. A very expensive one. Finding parts will become more difficult than Zsa Zsa Gabor impersonators after she hits Forest Lawn. Bill T.

(Bucks County)

Gumby - it is obvious from your post you have very little experience and even less knowledge about the Mark23. I suggest you read my posts regarding the Mark23 and it's use, development, and first-hand accounts of it's use and capability.

I also read your post about the USP45 with threaded barrel here http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/84...-xd-45gap.html

The o-ring is not a pressure vacuum. I have no idea how you even think this is possible. It is used to return the barrel to a consistent position when it is in battery. You are correct in that the USP has less felt recoil due to the dual spring recoil assembly. This is just one of the designs and features that make HK pistols easy to shoot and accurate.

BillT - I think you misunderstood me. I was making the point that HK probably builds their R&D costs for all their platforms into all their products. This includes the weapon systems that I mentioned. Also, your point about the 1911 is a good point. It takes a great deal of work to make a very reliable and accurate 1911. This translates into cost. Hilton Yam, a very well respected 1911 smith and purveyor of 10-8forums even said that HK45 could outshoot man custom 1911's. Here is his exact quote.
    ---- Begin Hilton Yam Quote
    The HK45 wasn't all bad news, as its saving grace was its exceptional inherent accuracy and how easy it was for shooters to exploit that right away. The barrel uses the same rubber O-ring setup seen on other HK pistols, and it blows my mind that a plastic service pistol with a rubber ring on its drop-in barrel can outshoot a lot of custom 1911s.
    ----- End of Hilton Yam Quote

Hilton's negatives about the HK45 were long DA pull (not unheard for a SA/DA), it's higher bore axis than a 1911 would cause the muzzle to move around more. You can read the entire quote here where he compares a Glock, HK45, and SW M&P.
    http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthrea...-by-Hilton-Yam

Again, I am not arguing with you whether or not HK's costs are justified. As I mentioned, only the buyer can determine that.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post
    Also, just an FYI for those who are interested in "what's next" for US Naval Special Warfare (NSW), here is what G3Kurz on HKPRO had to say.

"The new .45 ACP pistol for US Naval Special Warfare is the HK45 Compact with threaded barrel and compact AAC can. 450 are on delivery for October. Officially it is called "MK24". This is a full circle success from the early days before the SCP (SOCOM Pistol Program) in the early 2000's with the USP45CT for WARCOM - great to see. Bets are that it will spread throughout USSOCOM being that the Army has once again cancelled the Modular Handgun System program due to funding issues as of May 2010."

When asked about markings on the slide and barrel, G3Kurz followed up with this comment.

"I don't have that level of detail at the moment LSP. When we first started down this road with the USP45CT WARCOM wanted them in LEM 5 lb. My guess based on who is receiving these is that some will want LEM's and some V3's (SA/DA w/ decocking lever). Even better is that those who want a V1 (SA only w/ manual thumb safety) can have that too. This was the original concept for the MK23 MOD 0 that HK wanted SOCOM to consider (USP style modularity and controls) but the detailed specifications did not allow it. As they say if you set out to design a race car with a committee you will get one that does everything but no one thing very well (e.g. a camel). The MK24 was selected as a test of COTS candidates versus building one anew from the ground up (MK23). I can only guess that the troops will be well served by this platform and with the cancellation of the Army's new handgun program, this comes at the right time (if not 7-10 years later then it should have). More bads guys being killed "deader" - priceless!"

It seems the new HK pistol is supposed to be a scaled down version of the Mk23.
    interesting, i thought the sig 226 was the mk24?

any info on the warcom pistol, what exactly is warcom? why did they choose the CT45 over the fullsize and was that gun made at their request?

any reason why they are using a hk45 compact over a fullsize?

(Bucks County)

I asked this very same question to G3Kurz. His reply was:

The SIG P226's are used by one Navy unit only. It thus never rec'd a "MK" title (the same goes for the HK416, GMG, MP7A1, etc.)

WARCOM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WARCOM

From what I understand, they wanted an off-the-shelf pistol package so they would not have to do the whole process of having a pistol built from the ground up like how the Mk23 was created. They probably wanted a smaller platform without much degradation in performance so they went with the HK45C. The pistol with suppressor I'm guessing will be very small, very similar to this picture which is the USPCT45 (not HK45C) with a KAC suppressor.

Last edited by MichaelVain; August 16th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

(Bucks County)

i would think they would want full size pistol for accuracy, but i guess they like the compact so they can conceal in covert operations?

did the warcom ever adopt the usp ct?

(Bucks County)

I do not know if it was ever issued, but I remember someone saying that it was being evaluated.

(Bucks County)

im sure the hk45 is probably of the best guns for socom, awesome ergonomics, ambidextrous mag and slide release, plus plenty of variants.

i was thinking about buying a usp tactical or p30, i think if they throw a threaded barrel on the hk45 i found the perfect gun. although i love the look of the usp, the p30/hk45 has a perfect grip.

(Bucks County)

HK45 Threaded barrel:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK45-...l-212p1207.htm

hkparts.com is a very reliable supplier of parts. I've bought plenty of things from him over the years.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    The best point yet against the Mark 23. I'm sure H&K will have some of the more common parts for a while. Then what? $2,000.00+ for an out of production, overpriced handgun is really taking a gamble. A very expensive one. Finding parts will become more difficult than Zsa Zsa Gabor impersonators after she hits Forest Lawn. Bill T.
    It always sucked to get parts for H&K firearms, it's especially the harder ones like the P9S, VP70Z, and now the MK23!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post
    HK45 Threaded barrel:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK45-...l-212p1207.htm

hkparts.com is a very reliable supplier of parts. I've bought plenty of things from him over the years.
    does the hk45 have a match trigger, i wonder if the mk24 will

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast