Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Keeping it interesting

I shoot a lot of paper, and the steel spinners, but at times when I get together with one or two other guys to shoot. We have played pistol poker with the pre-made targets from Gander Mountain, or made up Tic, Tack, Toe, targets with 9 of the stick on 2 inch circles. Some times those 2-inch circle can be tuff to get 3 good hits in a line. So what do you guys do to keep it interesting?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Keeping it interesting

Currently, I'm planning a "Top Shot" competition with some of my friends. We're planning on running it pretty much like the show is.
    III%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Currently, I'm planning a "Top Shot" competition with some of my friends. We're planning on running it pretty much like the show is.
    Is that going to include the akward meals, elimination range bickering, writing things in playing cards on the pool table and complaining about how whatever was used to shoot with was not a Glock?

It is always fun to put in a little competition between friends and loved ones. To keep it fun my woman and I sometime have mini shoot offs by drawing a 1.5 inch (approx) circle on a target at 10 meters and fire two strings of three shots at it. The winner with the most holes in the circle does not have to pay for lunch.

Any variation on a friendly and informal competition like that is always helpful and fun. Do it often, especially for people new to the sport.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Is that going to include the akward meals, elimination range bickering, writing things in playing cards on the pool table and complaining about how whatever was used to shoot with was not a Glock?
    Haha Hopefully that wont be included! Just a little bickering and poking.

Any variation on a friendly and informal competition like that is always helpful and fun. Do it often, especially for people new to the sport.
    Exactly. Keeping things interesting and fun is a big +. It can be easy to get bored with the same old target shooting. Sometimes it's good to just mix it up a little.
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

I'm rather boring with my shooting lol. I just put targets up and put holes in 'em =\

I started going to IDPA matches a year ago. Most fun I've ever had shooting except for three gun.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

We just finished "carpenter bee season" here because there aren't any left!
    It's a lot of fun...Red Ryder BB guns and a safe back drop.

(Allegheny County)

I used to run Pistol Poker on Turkey Shoot days at GPGC. I'd staple a deck of cards face down to a pallet at about 10 yards. Shooter got 5 shots....whatever cards you hit were taken down and given to the shooter....that was his poker hand. The cool thing was that even if you only hit two cards you could still win. I think we charged $2/shooter with 50% going back to the winner.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Some friends and I have an informal arrangement with the rangemaster at a Sporting clays club.

We play a stupid game where we back off to the 27 yard line of a trap field and everybody chambers one round. The first guy shoots, if he hits its one point, if he misses then the second guy can try to shoot the same target, if he hits it its 2 points. If the second guy misses, the third guy can try to hit for 3 points and so on and so forth. The one with the most points at the end of the game wins. Fun and kinda challenging. We're all FITASC and European sporting clays guys so we don't start from a pre-mount. Some rangemasters don't like that, but thats how we do it.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I shoot a lot of paper, and the steel spinners, but at times when I get together with one or two other guys to shoot. We have played pistol poker with the pre-made targets from Gander Mountain, or made up Tic, Tack, Toe, targets with 9 of the stick on 2 inch circles. Some times those 2-inch circle can be tuff to get 3 good hits in a line. So what do you guys do to keep it interesting?
    My reason for carrying a firearm Full time is to protect me & my family's life, so my session's are designed to save human live's by taking human live's. If you think this sound's harsh? You should not carry a firearm unless for game's. I think of worldly day to day scenario's. Walking through a parking lot as Wal Mart & testing my skill's as a quick draw, friend's & I take turn's setting's up target's friendly & foe so we don't know what's coming because naturally you want to shoot the right one..the foe! Another let's say bad guy hold's your wife hostage just a few feet in front of you, his head sticking out.

My wife know's to turn her head away from a would be kidnapper's head as far as possible because she know's I'm going to take the shot. She's confident in my skill's & as she say's she would rather die by my hand than dragged off & beaten, raped etc.. My point is I think training should be conformed around what firearm's are basically purchased for To Save you & your family's life.

You can purchase the hostage target's I'm speaking of real cheap. Using firearm's for game's are fun but that's not the reason I purchase them & probably not your's. So think of all the terrible thing's that can happen AND DO EVERYDAY & PREPARE FOR THEM!!! You can't be prepared for such without practicing for such

PS: Double tap's very important practice if the human target is clear I practice one to the forehead & one to the heart as quick & accurate as possible. I've practiced doubletap's so much to just one spot that I can do it with only a one inch spread & it almost sound's like one shot. This take's some round's of practice...LOL
    Last edited by Ronnies111; August 10th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast