Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: how often do you draw your weapon?

Never. Hopefully it stays that way forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    i draw my pistol several times a day... after getting dressed and before getting undressed. it's good practice, especially when wearing different types of clothing.
    You mean you do draw practice at home several times a day with a loaded gun?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post

Jan
    Let me guess...you have neighboring houses or other people in your house besides you, so you assume the poster does too? I for one, do not have neighbors, and usually I'm home alone, so I can tuck, roll, dip, dodge, duck, and dive around the house with a loaded gun all day. But I don't. That's just silly.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post

Jan
    I hear you can not only load but unload these fancy modern guns we have today!

(Monroe County)

I wonder if the basic premise for asking this question is the feeling that once you carry a gun, you can/will draw it and point it at every minor threat, you know, like it is portrayed in the movies.

To the OP,

Drawing your firearm when your life is not in danger, you are not in danger of serious bodily injury, or another is in that position, can have very serious consequences. Contrary to the apparent non gun owner opinion, gun owners do not just whip out their firearms every time someone accidentally bumps them on the street, or looks at them the wrong way.

Click on the reference library link and study the statutes related to carrying a firearm, read the stickies at the top of the carry forums here, and take the responsibility of carrying a firearm a bit more seriously, before you find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
    food for thought...

this is my second post and i do apologize if my ignorance or naivety is easy to see. i spend the majority of my time in one of the poorest neighborhoods in philadelphia. the 24th 25th police district frequents my business because of service calls and crowd control. last night there was a shootout down the street from me. ive befriended ex cons and hit men. in my line of work you are forced to politic with the public and the environment that i frequent (west kensington, hunting park, fairhill, tioga, mt airy) you come into contact with characters...

ive been in these neighborhoods for over 10 years. while i do live in a nice suburb in nj, i have never been involved with an argument, conflict or any physical altercation in north philadelphia that would warrant any type of force.

however i personally will torture the cliche by saying i would rather have a gun and not need to use it then need a gun and not have it....i am searching for ways to obtain my permit to carry a concealed weapon.

im just curious as to how often people here have drawn their weapon to defend what they call their own? what was the situation?

some situations concern me....some situations seem open and shut in the book of the law....if you did use force and force was justified, is the law open and shut...if a man enters your house in the middle of the night and he is armed, you draw, shoot to kill, and you walk?!? if you are in a pizza parlor at night and 3 unarmed drunk 25 year old kids come in and instigate an altercation, decide to punch and beat you, you draw only to find out it escalates the matter do you then shoot to kill? shoot in the air? shoot their legs to halt the attack?? then do you face lawsuits and legal expenses out the buttocks???

seems like the use of force is only justified when being drawn upon by a robber or attacker and even in that case you are still subjected to the courts....which begs the question how often are you drawn upon by a would be attacker?
    Ahh the 24/25, eh? Nice area. Lots to see and do there... I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but seeing 24th/25th was enough for me to say that you definitely need your LTCF and some training pronto... (see edit)

Kudos for having your own back... That area is a fucking jungle (or at least was about 10 years ago - Can't imagine it's gotten any better though).

OK I will now read the rest of the thread

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Sorry I missed the NJ resident part... My condolences. Best advice is to, umm.... OK I got nothing. The 24/25 is a Goddamn war zone... Sorry, OP
    Last edited by JoeyBones; August 10th, 2010 at 07:10 PM.

(Allegheny County)

How often do I draw? Every time I'm at the range, I suppose. And if I'm doing dry-fire practice at home, and working on my presentation.

My weapon has never had to leave the holster in response to a threat, and I very much hope to keep it that way.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

To answer the original question:

Twice in 42 years.

(Lackawanna County)

For real? Twice in 29 years. On target, once; the first time the mere act of drawing colored the bad gut gone. Never had to fire, and I'd like very much to keep it that way.

Or do you mean 'draw your gun'?

Attached Images Attached Images
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Let me guess...you have neighboring houses or other people in your house besides you, so you assume the poster does too?
    Your guess is right, your assumption is wrong.

I personally consider it "bad practice" to whip a loaded handgun out of it's holster several times a day with no apparent reason. YMMV.

Draw practice is draw practice and very related to dry firing practice. It should be done either at the range or if at home, in front of a safe backstop with the firearm double checked to be unloaded. OP did not indicate with a single word that he unloads at all before doing this. I didn't accuse him of anything, I merely asked if that is what he is doing. Jump on somebody else for now, please.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast