Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Gettysburg Gun Show

I went today, I'm used to paying $7 for admission so that wasn't bad. I recently fed my firearm addiction so I wasn't in the market for buying one. The only thing I didn't find was a decent replacement grip for my J-frame which I just got online from MidwayUSA. Here's my haul:

Bandolier for 6 AR mags with molle straps, $9
    DeSantis pocket holster for J-Frame, $25
    Custom leather IWB holster for j-frame, $30
    "Don't Tread On Me" yellow on black t-shirt IN MY SIZE, $17
    2 "Don't Tread on Me" bumper stickers, $5
    2 MREs, $12
    Prewrapped RemOil gun wipes, a bunch for $2, the guy hooked me up

Thumbs up Re: Gettysburg Gun Show

My wife and I are visiting the in-laws and made it to the show today. I've been to better shows and I've been to worse. There was a little bit of everything there and prices were about what I've been seeing lately at other shows. IMHO the days of getting dirt cheap prices at guns shows for surplus ammo and ex military rifles are long gone. Now I just go to see it there's anything I can't find at home (like the $40.00 in Magpul gadgets that came home with us).

I was hoping the lady and gent who have the wooden displays full of reloading supplies would be there but alas they were no where to be found. I need a couple hundred pieces of .45 Auto Rim brass.

There were tables full of AR / AK stuff, lots of handguns, Mosin Nagant carbines by the case, high end bolt guns and tables full of knives ranging in price from el' cheapo to "OMG that ain't goin' outta the house" expensive.

I'd bet that if the promoter keeps trying the shows will get better with time and I for one believe that more gun shows are a good thing.
    Last edited by Rick R; September 4th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
    I live in WV , but I visit my Mom-in-law in York PA 8 to 10 times a year. Can I get a "Tourist" visa?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    You know after just getting off the phone with Rich Warner I have to ask if you are either full of it or someone put you up to this.

Not only was Warner there with god knows how much ammo but 308 ammo is there. Now ANYONE that knows 308 ammo knows damn well he is stocked to the gills when he comes to a show. Hell I don't even like the guy personally but I will be the first to say he brings a SHIT PILE of ammo to any show.

From what Rich just told me he (308 ammo) has 14 tables loaded with boxes and cases of ammo and then 4 spaces where tables should be loaded with cases of ammo. On top of that there was a 3rd ammo dealer whose name I forget.

So which is it? Are you just 'show shitting' or are you being put up to this by someone who doesn't like Eagle's shows because right here and now I am saying you are full of it.

And BTW, we will have pics tomorrow to PROVE you are full of it.
    Well, first of all you weren't even there but you're accusing me of having something against the promoter? If anything it seems to be the other way around, I called it like I saw it and you tell me I'm full of shit and I'm trying to ruin the promoter or something.
    308 Ammo WAS the one vendor that I said actually had a decent selection of ammo, and also the one telling costumers some pretty obvious BS. Perhaps I should have clarified, i was mostly looking for handgun ammo, particularly 9mm, and I didn't see much of a selection of it. There was some rifle and military surplus ammo, but except for 308 Ammo the selection was mostly a few different calibers/brands at one table, a few more at another table and so on, and the prices were nothing special, about the same as you'd pay on sale at Dick's or Cabela's.

As for the gun selection, like someone else already said it seemed like most of the vendors didn't bring as many as they usually do because they weren't sure how it would go, and there didn't seem to be nearly as many people actually buying stuff as there usually is at the York show. Most of the handgun selection was a bunch of XD's, some pocket pistols, various 1911's, and a few Beretta's, M&P's and Glocks, mostly in .40, and prices ranged from average to ridiculous. I was looking for a Glock 19, I only saw maybe 4-5 vendors that had any, and only one had the factory night sights I wanted, out of at least 400 tables it shouldn't be that hard to find a gun as common and popular as a G19.

The majority of the tables were mostly the usual AR parts, military memorabilia, T-shirts, made in china knives and the stuff I already mentioned.
    Most of the shows I've been to in the last year or so just don't seem to have the gun selection that they used to, but the York show is still A LOT better than this one was. If you still want to tell me I'm full of shit so be it, but if they have this show again I have no intention of attending.
    Last edited by FCastle88; September 5th, 2010 at 03:30 AM.

(York County)

At the last minute i decided not to go to this show; instead i went to WalMart and bought 250 rounds of 9mm Federal Champion ammo ($9.97/50 rounds).
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by rev214 View Post
    At the last minute i decided not to go to this show; instead i went to WalMart and bought 250 rounds of 9mm Federal Champion ammo ($9.97/50 rounds).
    good for you, this is why good shops like stubby gear go out of buisness. Its your choice of course, but when the good shops start to disappear this is what will be left, Walmart, oh ya they dont sell guns anymore.

(York County)

I thought it was a decent show. I went with a friend and he found a really nice US-marked bayonet for a Springfield. He commented that this show had lots more of the stuff he was interested in (and no, it wasn't jewelry...) than most shows.

We also saw Devin and his crew (from Precision Armory, Shrewsbury).

I didn't buy anything, but I had a good time. Many of the vendors said they were going to be at Valley Forge in two weeks.
    Last edited by Echo Papa; September 6th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rev214

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    good for you, this is why good shops like stubby gear go out of buisness. Its your choice of course, but when the good shops start to disappear this is what will be left, Walmart, oh ya they dont sell guns anymore.
    You Hit the nail on the head on that one . I stopped buying from wally world when I saw what they were doing . They don't sell guns ( at least not around here ) any more . The ammo I bought there sucks . One round bearly kicks brass out of the gun . the next round brass goes flying in to the zip code . and forget where the bullet goes . Am I the only one that sees this? I for one go to gun shops Like King shooter or Tanners and buy ( in my openion better ammo) ammo and supplys . Keep the money local Why let it go over seas.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Thomas Jefferson - Commonplace Book 1774-1776

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by G10mm View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rev214

You Hit the nail on the head on that one . I stopped buying from wally world when I saw what they were doing . They don't sell guns ( at least not around here ) any more . The ammo I bought there sucks . One round bearly kicks brass out of the gun . the next round brass goes flying in to the zip code . and forget where the bullet goes . Am I the only one that sees this? I for one go to gun shops Like King shooter or Tanners and buy ( in my openion better ammo) ammo and supplys . Keep the money local Why let it go over seas.
    Walmart Home Office 702 SW 8th Street Bentonville, Arkansas

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    If my purchase of 9mm from Walmart on Saturday put Stubby Gear or any other good shops out of "buisness," please accept my apology. I feel my several past purchases from good shops like Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia PA and Eagle Arms Sport Shop in Breinigsville PA and Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua PA have contributed to the local firearm "buisnesses."

(Berks County)

Made it to Gettysburg ate our way thru Gettysburg Eddys (our 1st time), and The Pub (our 3rd time).
    Gettysburg Eddy's had superb sandwiches definately a "we'll be back" place.They're lunch sandwiches are almost a meal.
    The Pub was it's usual fare, but if we wouldn't have gone there we'd missed a great guitar player at the store Pages of Time Passed and not got his CD.

Really surprised that Gettysburg wasn't crowded even for dinner. Locals said business was soft & slow. People eating, but not drinking and buying as usual. At the gun show we heard the same song.

Stayed downtown before, this time wife wanted to stay away from the Holiday crowd, traffic, and wanted a pool. Surprised to learn not many quiet places with pools in Gettysburg. Did find a deal at the Eisenhower which is conviently on old RT 15 going thru Gettysburg by some battelfields, in the country...and on same street as Boyd's Bears. $59 + $15 weekend rate!!!
    Older but nice hotel with a pool, a hot tub, and right at the show within walking distance. Didn't eat there because we wanted downtown food.

For a first time or maybe a renewed show it was pretty nice. Heard some vendors wanted to hold off and see how the show went then if it was good they'd attend. Missed the $1 off coupons, but for $7 each anyone taking 'a date' is worth it.

Thought I'd see more Civil War collectibles, but nice selection of guns, seemed to be enough ammo (wasn't looking for any), lots of clothing and some really nice gear choices. Wide isles, well lit, AC on, and the girls taking the money were joking it up.

Not a lot of shotgun ammo, but the guy and his wife who sell alot ammo/reloading supplies (have big wooden cases) took the weekend off. Did see a Benelli Lightweight 20 I wanted to buy for her but decided I'd have her 1100 fitted first to see if she shoots any better.
    Last edited by Butt Shot; September 6th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast