Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Valley Forge Gun Show

I understand the dynamics, that's why I'm dreaming.

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Valley Forge Gun Show

Quote Originally Posted by emptythemag View Post
    We never made the trip from Allentown for this one. How would you guys and gals rate it? Is it worth the trip and the $10 to get in the door? We usually go out to Harrisburg...does it compare to that sort of venue?
    You don't seem to have any feedback yet, so I'll offer mine:

I haven't been to Harrisburg, so I cannot make that comparison.

I like this show. I try to go every quarter. What I like: there are a lot of vendors selling firearms and ammo. (Yes, ammo has been sketchier since Obamania, but it's been there.) I can usually find more than one of what I am in the market for, and at prices I am willing to pay. All of the vendors I encounter are friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. Most of them can handle credit card transactions. Many of the vendors are local enough that I (you also) can visit their shop at a later date. What I don't like: there can be a lot of "bubble" infractions as the aisles get kind of narrow.

I have heard other objections about "junk" vendors selling bullet jewelry, memorabilia, beef jerky, and so on. Personally, if I don't like what they have, I just walk on by to the next places with gadgets that catch my eye. Apparently, their "junk" is selling enough to justify the costs and labor to set up for the show. If all 700 tables there were laden with my kind of goodies, I'd never get out of there!

Another valid complaint, posted elsewhere in this thread I believe, is that sometimes vendors aren't all set up on Friday when the door opens. There are times I have seen that due to clearing the room from a show earlier on Friday. Sometimes there are miscommunications. More often than not, the vendors simply get stuck in traffic on the PA turnpike on a Friday afternoon - imagine that! None of that has ever detracted from my experience.

Not everybody on pafoa will agree with me, but I find the admission rates reasonable. Yes, they may be higher than some shows, but it is still less than I would spend in gas and tolls to get the same look and variety of product. Heck, one trip to Cabela's costs that much without buying anything! Friday night is the most expensive, but I always go if I can. Saturdays MAY be slower, so you can browse a little more freely.

Again, not everybody will agree with me, but most of the pricing is more than reasonable. No, you won't get below retail bargains, but the vendors do have to make a living. On the other hand, with more popular models, you can often find several to compare. Yes, you may find it helpful to be somewhat aware of current market pricing before you go.

Bottom line: I would make the trip from Allentown. Buy the three day pass for $25 and save what you don't use for a later show.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimber 22 View Post
    Bottom line: I would make the trip from Allentown. Buy the three day pass for $25 and save what you don't use for a later show.
    I didn't know that the three day pass rolled over to the next show - that's even more incentive for me to pick it up. This way I can drop in on Friday and beat everyone to the good deals.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Bucks County)

I used to attend this show during the early to mid-90's and was always amazed at the number of vendors
    which occupied the main and lower level floors.

When I went last year, I was a bit surprised to find only the main floor being used ---or was I mistaken?

Still, any gun show is a good one just for the opportunity to be amongst like-minded citizens; additionally, you are able to soak in the atmosphere and a get a pulse on the overall state of the things from the live FTF side ( versus the virtual world of the internet ).

(Berks County)

Saturday is my birthday and I feal like I need a gift for myself!!! LOL

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gato View Post
    I used to attend this show during the early to mid-90's and was always amazed at the number of vendors
    which occupied the main and lower level floors.

When I went last year, I was a bit surprised to find only the main floor being used ---or was I mistaken?

Still, any gun show is a good one just for the opportunity to be amongst like-minded citizens; additionally, you are able to soak in the atmosphere and a get a pulse on the overall state of the things from the live FTF side ( versus the virtual world of the internet ).
    Shows have been on the first floor only for the last 10 years.A previous promoter tried to use both floors but that did not work because there are not enough gun dealers that do gun shows. 700 tables and always a sell out.
    We will never attempt to do two floors.See ya there..........

(Berks County)

What are my chances of picking up a Tok for around $150? Don't know if I want to make the trip or not. Trying to convince myself.

I'm planning on going to the show this weekend, either saturday or sunday.

I went to the show a few months ago, my first gun show, and was a little overwhelmed. There is a LOT to see at this show but fighting through the crowd can be difficult. Whatever you're looking for at the show you can probably find, whether its a specific gun or a weird specific part. As far as accessories, especially tacticool grips/lights/etc., a lot of the venders have the same items with prices varying from good deal up to incredibly overpriced, so I'd suggest browsing a bit first and then going back to the table with the best price.

Like someone else said, there are a lot of "junk" venders, including jewelry and toys and the occasional political campaign table. If you're going by yourself with specific items in mind they might seem like a waste of space, but if you're going with kids/wife/girlfriend if gives them something to look at. The vender with the bullet jewerly is worth taking a look at, and last time I was there I bought my girlfriend something from there to make up for dragging her through the show for hours.

(Chester County)

so do you guys think the turnout will be better this time around? i was at the last one and it was dead.

(Chester County)

It's a great show and we've been going for years,since the beginning.
    my only complaint/question is,do they have to raise the admission fee EVERY time...?
    If that's what it take's to keep the show there though.....ok!
    Cause I'd rather pay the $10.00 then not have the show!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast