Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: north philly

(Philadelphia County)

Default north philly

glad i found this forum...sorry this is my first post but hopefully i can get an answer to a question ive had for a long time...

i live in south jersey, right over the bridge, but i work in north philly (5th and allegheny)....we have a family business that is rather successful and im always concerned about the cash that comes in to the place...even more concerned when i travel to the bank to make out deposits.

im well aware nj is not that gun friendly but im curious to the options i have. i really want to carry a concealed weapon in philly...is there anyway i can have a gun permit in nj and a gun permit with permission to carry in PA considering my situation?! keep the gun locked and unloaded when traveling out of nj but once over the bridge i can saddle up lol....

i have a PA address i could use if i need to be a PA residence but my cars registration/insurance/drivers license is all in nj and it seems like a pain in the ass to transfer all that over too lol
    Last edited by 08rookie; August 9th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: north philly

The most easy thing to do in your situation would be to obtain a Florida or Utah carry permit. Pennsylvania has reciprocity with both, and they are friendly to out non-resident applicants.

However, I advise you to move to a state that supports your Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. NJ is tied with NY as the highest property tax rates in the country. New Jersey also believes in (and does) tax people based on how much they make (make more, pay a higher percentage). Whereas Pennsylvania believes everyone pays the same percentage.

Working the numbers, the liberties and the down right intangible beauty of the Keystone State, you now have both short term and long term targets to shoot for.

Oh, and if you have not received any formal training yet... do so, the life you save may be your own.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The most easy thing to do in your situation would be to obtain a Florida or Utah carry permit. Pennsylvania has reciprocity with both, and they are friendly to out non-resident applicants.

However, I advise you to move to a state that supports your Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. NJ is tied with NY as the highest property tax rates in the country. New Jersey also believes in (and does) tax people based on how much they make (make more, pay a higher percentage). Whereas Pennsylvania believes everyone pays the same percentage.

Working the numbers, the liberties and the down right intangible beauty of the Keystone State, you now have both short term and long term targets to shoot for.

Oh, and if you have not received any formal training yet... do so, the life you save may be your own.
    i have been to the range before. my good friends are police officers. i agree i would need formal training and encourage the practice. ive only been to florida twice in my life lol...i would be able to get a florida license to carry then apply for my PA license to ccw?!

(Northampton County)

It is impossible to get a permit to carry in NJ unless you are sleeping with the police chief.

You can't get a non-resident license in PA since you do not currently have one with your home state per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 of the PA UFA.

Going for the non-resident Utah/Florida permit could work for you since PA has reciprocity with both of those states.

Someone more knowledgeable of the Federal Firearm Transport laws will chime in and let you know about the legality of transporting a firearm from NJ to your place of business in PA. It may be fall under one of the exceptions, I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
    i would be able to get a florida license to carry then apply for my PA license to ccw?!
    Florida offers permits to non-residents. You take a class here and then apply through the mail. PA and FL have reciprocity; you can conceal carry in PA with a FL permit.
    Last edited by uniballin; August 9th, 2010 at 02:45 AM.

(Montgomery County)

.i would be able to get a florida license to carry then apply for my PA license to ccw?!
    If you have the Florida license, you don't need the PA license. It's valid here. Also, you don't have to go to Florida to get it, you can take the class in PA, and apply by mail.

(Philadelphia County)

getting the florida license will satisfy the requirements for ccw in philadelphia, now the hassle will come into play with regards to transporting the firearm from nj to philadelphia. unless i officially decide to move into the city, i will be residing in cherry hill nj....i dont suppose there is some 'nj transport permit' loophole that will allow me to transport the gun locked in a case until i cross the bridge??

(Northampton County)

i dont suppose there is some 'nj transport permit' loophole that will allow me to transport the gun locked in a case until i cross the bridge??
    You may be able to transport your firearm out of NJ under state and federal law since your destination is a place of business. Someone more knowledgeable than me will clarify eventually; but I think you may be able to do it.

Remember: Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
    Last edited by uniballin; August 9th, 2010 at 04:25 AM.

(Northampton County)

Can someone clarify if I am right or wrong about the place of business exception? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pfsf978 View Post
    If you have the Florida license, you don't need the PA license. It's valid here. Also, you don't have to go to Florida to get it, you can take the class in PA, and apply by mail.
    A hunter safety card or DD-214 will work for Florida
    Life Member GOA Member GCO.ORG Semper Fi

(Philadelphia County)

good luck trying to get a non-resident permit from philly and im guessing you can get florida, utah, new hampshire or virginia and all are good in pa. but idk about transporting the firearm in jersey
    It is better to have and not need then to need and not have. ROCK GLOCK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast