Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question XD40 Bbl & Recoil Spring Replacement

Hi All, hoping some of you gurus can help me out...

I have a 4" XD in .40s&w that I bought new in 2005 and have literally abused the hell out of it- really. I have over 20,000 rounds through it (keep a little log), being a mix of WWB and my carry ammo (180gr Fed HS). I do shoot a lot of premium ammo; though expensive, I like to "practice how I play" - as my old football coach used to say.

I've truly abused that XD. At about round 500 I even pushed a squib through it accidentally and the barrel swelled a bit. It's been flawless even through all of that. Only FTFs were with an el cheapo 22rd mag made by ProMag (only have it for fun). Recently, I did have a FTF or two with target ammo pushed out of the normal Springfield mags I have. Yes, it was at about 1,000 rounds since the last cleaning, but that's the type of pistol I want. Not a "finicky" one.

Has anyone else replaced their bbl and spring for their XD? I woud be interesting in hearing what your "indicators" were and what you replaced them with and such...

Thanks in advance for any info.
    F*S=k

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: XD40 Bbl & Recoil Spring Replacement

Your .40 barrel should go a lot longer than 20K (that's really not that much)......... although you did damage it when you "ringed" it with shooting out the squib load.

FTF's usually aren't barrel related unless the gun is really dirty and the slide is stopping just short of battery. Those issues are often too light of a recoil spring or a dirty extractor assembly (ever had it out?).

Souds like you just need a new standard XD barrel and a spring. If you go aftermarket.....I think I'd go Bar Sto.

Lycangoodluckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Default Re: XD40 Bbl & Recoil Spring Replacement

"swelled" barrel would be a good indication to replace. what bout the springs? have you replace any of them? your FTF might just be from an old mag spring or maybe weaken recoil spring.