Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Ruger LCP question

After firing the last round from the mag the slide closes and is ready to shoot again. Used 2 different mags, 4 times each with the same result. Is this normal for the LCP?
    Last edited by DonM55; August 8th, 2010 at 08:00 PM.

Default Re: Ruger LCP question

What exactly is your question? If you're asking if the LCP slide locks back on an empty magazine, the answer is no.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    What exactly is your question? If you're asking if the LCP slide locks back on an empty magazine, the answer is no.
    Thanks for the reply. I stated it the way I did in case it should lock back the responders would know I tried different mags several times so it wasn't a mag thing. Sorry you had trouble understanding my question.

KCR is right, I just recently got an LCP and for some reason I thought the slide locked open on empty, not sure why. Maybe I misread or heard something somewhere. Maybe just the fact that it has a slide catch,lock whatever you wanna call it (heard it referred to many different terms) made me assume it locks on empty but it does NOT. Wish it did. I think thats a nice feature to have. It also says in the manual on pg 10, bout center of pg.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    After firing the last round from the mag the slide closes and is ready to shoot again. Used 2 different mags, 4 times each with the same result. Is this normal for the LCP?
    Yes, the LCP does not have a last shot stay open slide. If that disappoints you, there is a very nice competitor from both Sig and S&W, THE P238 and BodyGuard .380, respectively. Doesn't bother me much. Just count your rounds and know when you're empty. If you carry the gun and carry +1, if you shoot 6 rounds dump your mag and put in a fresh mag. God forbid you ever even need to draw your gun....

(Northampton County)

The Taurus P738 is the only one of the "micro" .380's that has a slide lock on empty feature. Comparing the Keltec, Ruger and Taurus - it is apparent that each step made some improvements on the original (P3AT) concept - so the Taurus (IMHO) may be considered a 3rd Generation piece with more refinements.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    The Taurus P738 is the only one of the "micro" .380's that has a slide lock on empty feature. Comparing the Keltec, Ruger and Taurus - it is apparent that each step made some improvements on the original (P3AT) concept - so the Taurus (IMHO) may be considered a 3rd Generation piece with more refinements.
    The S&W Bodyguard 380 does too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

I like the slide lock open feature and most people got used to it with full size pistols. Its not a sale killer for me however. I learned to shoot revolvers first and the cylinder does not pop open and lock when you empty it. So its not a big deal with me.
    Tim

(York County)

I have the KelTec, which also doesn't lock open on an empty mag. I don't much care, except that I always lose track of my round count atht range (I can't count to six apparently) and the Kel Tec manual explicitly says not to dry fire it. I've heard of people damaging the weapon with a small number of dry fires. So now I'm paranoid enough about it to consider putting a snap cap in as my last round.

(Washington County)

And I have dry fired my LCP hundreds of times, no issues. YMMV, but thats whats going on here.

Got to get used to that long trigger somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast