Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Thoughts on Duracoating? Anything will help

Long story short, I saw a video on youtube of a Remington 870 that had been refinished in a matte black and now I want to do mine. I've already sanded it down to a mirror finish and I've been keeping it oiled so it doesn't rust in the meantime. Is the shotgun being super polished going to affect how the duracoat turns out? How much do I need for the reciever, 18.5" barrel and magazine tube extension? Should 4 ounces work or do I need the 8 ounce bottle? I know that I'm supposed to degrease it before and then let it sit for a few days before reassembling it, any other bits of advice? I've never done anything like this before so I know it isn't going to be perfect but I'd like to be well informed so I don't totally F it up.
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; August 8th, 2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Forgot something I wanted to ask . . .

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Thoughts on Duracoating? Anything will help

Greetings,

You should have a slightly rough surface for the duracoat to adhere properly. The following is from the duracoat website....

Surface Type - Surface Preparation

Aluminium: Blast with 120 grit Aluminum oxide, OR Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

Brass: Apply directly over, Use only for low wear applications (Display only)

Chrome: Strip off chrome first

DuraCoat: Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

Gun Blue: New or Very good condition Apply directly over

Hard Coat: Anodizing Apply directly over

Nickel: Blast with 120 grit Aluminum oxide, OR Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

Parker: Apply directly over

Polymers: All...Blast with 120 grit Aluminum oxide, OR Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

Stainless Steel: Blast with 120 grit Aluminum oxide, OR Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

Teflon: Blast with 120 grit Aluminum oxide, OR Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

Wood: Lightly Sand with 600 grit sandpaper

I can also say from personal experience that it is essential to properly degrease the surface for proper adhesion. The spray degreaser, TruStrip, they recommend really is the best option. It doesn't have to be that

brand, but the aerosol is convenient to use and dries almost instantly, you really don't need to let it sit for a couple of days after degreasing using this method. If you handle the gun/parts without some sort of glove

after degreasing just lightly clean the area with alchohol, as the oils on your fingers may interfere with adhesion. Duracoat dries to the touch in 20 minutes or so and you can reassemble it after 24 hours. You can then

start using it, but it will not be thoroughly cured for another 3-4 weeks, so just baby it for that period. You can clean the piece after 24 hours with conventional firearm cleaning compounds but refrain from strong

solvents like Gun Scrubber until the 3-4 week cure time is reached.

The smaller bottle should be enough, but go with the 8oz to to ensure your piece is thoroughly covered and properly layered. It will also provide a small reserve for touching up later if necessary. I also strongly

recommend you DO NOT use the compressed air cans for spraying with an airbrush. They are inconsistant in their pressure, freeze up and stop working, produce a lot of condensation that may end up spurting through

your brush, and don't last that long, possibly leaving you stranded in mid project. A compressor that can put out 20-30 psi is really a must.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Combat Jack; August 9th, 2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: thought of more info
    "I regret that I have but one leg to give for my country"