Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default CZ owners...how does the polycoat finish of your guns hold up?

Greetings from central PA. I am about to purchase either a CZ-85B or a CZ-75B Stainless steel edition (i'm a lefty and the 75B SS has an ambi safety and the 85B is fully ambi). The 75B SS is $100 extra. My only reservation about the 85B is the durability of the polymer coating. To those of you who own CZ75/85's, how does the polycoat finish hold up over the years? Is it something that's going to chip/flake a lot and look like hell, in say, 10 years?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: CZ owners...how does the polycoat finish of your guns hold up?

I've had my CZ-75B with Polycoat for about 6 years and it has about 2000 rounds through it. I don't carry it - it either rides to the range in a pistol rug or it sits in a container in my home - however, it gets cleaned every time it goes to the range and does get bumped around a bit on the benches at the range. It shows no sign of wear from this treatment. I've heard and read that Kydex holsters will eat this finish if you carry in one.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Allegheny County)

I just picked up a 75BD in polycoat. No carry experience yet. A good friend of mine has several CZ's in polycoat and carries one daily. He's told me to stay away from kydex with the CZ, since it will hurt the finish in a hurry. We hit the range today and I had the chance to run a couple of his EDC pieces . He carries in either Galco or UBG holsters and the polycoat looks "polished" but hasn't worn through yet on his, and no corrosion issues.

(Montgomery County)

I don't carry my CZ-75B, but treat it pretty much the same way 32 Magnum does. Near 7,000 rounds through it, always cleaned and well cared for. Finish is flawless. I saw one in Stainless today at Classic Pistol: Beautiful gun.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

The polycoat on my RAMI has held up really well after about a year of carrying. Just a little worn off on the corner of the ejection port from the kydex on my holster. Otherwise, it's been flawless.

However...stainless 75's...*drools*. If something pretty is what you're after, clear winner.

(Lancaster County)

Mine have held up extremely well. I carry either a P-01 or a Rami daily and haven't had any issues. The only thing that's happened to the finish is when I scratched it up trying to disassemble the gun improperly when I first got the P-01. I can't blam the finish for that one.

That being said, if you've got a stainless for only $100 difference I say take it. They are spectacular looking.

(Allegheny County)

Well, I ordered my CZ today from Bud's. Ultimately decided to go with the Stainless CZ-75 in matte finish (not a fan of super shiny on firearms). It was a close race, I literally sat at my computer for over an hour going back and forth between the two. I figured the stainless wasn't going to get any cheaper/easier to find if I waited and an 85B would be relatively easier to find if I ever decided I wanted one. I really hit the ceiling of my firearm budget on this one but I know I'm going to be happy with it. Oh, and I also ordered some Coco Bolo grips from CZ-Usa as well. This will mostly be a range gun with home defense as a secondary purpose but I might carry it if i'm hiking out in the woods or camping.
    Last edited by afultz075; August 9th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

(Perry County)

Do you shoot at the Lewistown Pistol Club, or perhaps Mifflin Co.? Too bad I didn't know you were looking I'd have let you shoot my 75B at either place.
    By the way if you want to shoot action matches the 75b is excellent.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    Do you shoot at the Lewistown Pistol Club, or perhaps Mifflin Co.? Too bad I didn't know you were looking I'd have let you shoot my 75B at either place.
    By the way if you want to shoot action matches the 75b is excellent.
    Actually just recently got into the pistol game and shooting. I used to shoot rifles with my dad when I was younger at the Mifflin County Sportsmans Club. When I went to get my membership the other week, they told me all memberships run from December-December for $40 and are not pro-rated if you buy later in the year. I'm just going to wait until December so I can get a full year since college is starting back up for me soon and i'd probably only get to take advantage of it a few times.

I know where the pistol club is located, but I really know nothing about membership there or costs, something I will have to look into.

Usually, I shoot in Tyrone with my friend from State College and some of his coworkers. I actually got a chance to shoot one of his coworkers 75B's and decided I had to have one.

(Monroe County)

Yeah the CZ stainless is super sweet, especially when dressed up in some nice wood like mine http://img39.imageshack.us/i/cz75sta...ithhoguek.jpg/

then again i like all cz's, as a lefty the 85 is sweet.
    Last edited by mrnyman; August 10th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.