Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Act 235 Qualification Practice

I'm sure this info is posted somewhere, but a quick search found everything but what I was looking for.

In regards to the qualification portion of the cert, can someone give me the layout of the course? I shoot a lot but not a big fan of surprises... What I'd like to know is the distances from target, rounds per station etc.

If I can get my paperwork completed in time I'm hoping to take the 235 at HACC in October. September would have been nice but it appears the paperwork process takes forever.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Act 235 Qualification Practice

http://www.lethalweapons.state.pa.us. The details, as vague as they are, are at http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/03...21/s21.19.html.

Each school can set up their own qualification. Most of the classes I have taken are 60 rounds, ranging from 3 to 25 yards, with 5 or so stages.

I would contact the school in which you are going to attend and ask for the details of their qualification. If you are browsing the PSP school listing, many of the ones in SE PA did not offer classes that often; the listing does appear to have been updated recently. Classic Pistol, however, does offer classes on a regular basis.

(Lehigh County)

When I took mine 3 years ago, it was from the 7, 15, 25 yard lines at the place I went to.

About 60 or so rounds (dont remember exact count).

It was fire set number of rounds, reload, fire set number of rounds, holster, off hand and strong hand shooting at the 7 and 15 yard lines.

At the 25 yard line it was shoot set number of rounds, strong handon a barrier, then reload and shoot set number of rounds off hand on a barrier, switching sides.

Then it was shoot set number of rounds while standing, strong side, then drop mag and reload while getting into a kneeling position, shoot set number of rounds and then holster.

I dont remember what the number of rounds per each string, but it was minimal (between 4-6, or something like that).

AG
    Last edited by xx AG xx; August 8th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

(Pike County)

AG, you went through it compared to the class I went to.
    7, 15, and 25 yard from bench, indoor range, all standing, loosely timed w/reload.
    Holster forbidden, no draws. 5 round strings.

Also, all of 2 rounds 12 gauge.

Sad part was that some people just barely made it through. I was worried being next to one guy on the range (indoor) who was using a Glock 19 that was firing out of battery, the instructor finally flagged him and told him to get it fixed or bring another gun. And he kept shooting my target (should note that he was aiming at his target).
    Another guy had a different gun each range time. He was hitting other shooters targets as well.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    AG, you went through it compared to the class I went to.
    7, 15, and 25 yard from bench, indoor range, all standing, loosely timed w/reload.
    Holster forbidden, no draws. 5 round strings.

Also, all of 2 rounds 12 gauge.

Sad part was that some people just barely made it through. I was worried being next to one guy on the range (indoor) who was using a Glock 19 that was firing out of battery, the instructor finally flagged him and told him to get it fixed or bring another gun. And he kept shooting my target (should note that he was aiming at his target).
    Another guy had a different gun each range time. He was hitting other shooters targets as well.

Damn, that sucks.

They had us go through all the motions from drawing from the holster, firing your shots, dropping mags, reloading and reholstering when done.

Instructor told us that if someone had thier own shotty, they could have brought it along and they would have given the shotty some range time as well, but I did not have one at that time.

I qualify twice a year now for my employer and go through a slightly more intensive course of fire.

AG

(Juniata County)

Thanks to all for the quick and detailed response. I've been reading this forum for a while now and the info across the board is always professional. Thanks again.

(Clearfield County)

The "book" calls for 30 rounds:
    7 yards, 10 rounds (5+5) in 25 seconds, standing
    15 yards, 10 rounds (5+5) in 35 seconds, standing
    25 yards, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds standing in 45 seconds
    30 Rounds Total
    *(5+5) = start with a loaded weapon, in the holster. Draw when the time starts and reload under time.
    Scoring, B-27 Target: 8, 9, 10, and X Ring=5 points
    7 ring=4 points
    In the "Black" outside of the 7 ring=3 points
    Out of the black=0
    150 is a perfect score and a minimum of 75% required to pass or 113 points.

Some instructors take some liberty with the course but this is how it is written. You normally must shoot it a minimum of 3 times with only the 3rd time counting.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Don't sweat it. If you have a decent gun and get a little practice with it before thee class, you'll do fine. The qualification isn't meant to demonstrate great proficiency, it's meant to weed out the totally incompetent.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Don't sweat it. If you have a decent gun and get a little practice with it before thee class, you'll do fine. The qualification isn't meant to demonstrate great proficiency, it's meant to weed out the totally incompetent.
    Do you think he's still waiting for an answer after 8 years?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast