Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Seeking Harrisburg area starter course

I'm seeking a good starter course that I can recommend to a woman at work who has previously told me she is afraid of guns, but today shocked me by asking where she could find a gun safety course for her to take before buying a gun.

She is in the Harrisburg area & would rather enroll in a co-ed course than a women's only class.

She does not own a gun yet and is looking for the most basic level beginners introductory course she can find.

Any suggestions?

I've taught others, but never anyone who has been frightened of guns their whole life so I'd really like to turn her over to a professional.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(York County)

Default Re: Seeking Harrisburg area starter course

I'm tring to get my GF to attend the following at West Shore Sportsmans Assoc. on Aug. 28th:

Insights Training Company
    Saturday , August 28th, 8am-6pm

From www.insightstraining.com :

Basic Handgun Safety & Responsibility: $185
    Course Designer: Greg Hamilton

Join the thousands of students who have gotten a safe and responsible introduction to firearms training from InSights Basic Handgun class. This hands-on gun safety class is a good mix of shooting and information, conducted in a fun, supportive environment. Whether your goal is gaining solid knowledge of safe firearms handling or preparing to purchase a handgun, Basic Handgun Safety & Responsibility will give you the information you need.

In this class you will learn to handle handguns safely, load and unload them properly, shoot accurately, understand the laws concerning their use and ownership, and make a more informed decision as to whether you want to own a firearm.

Basic Handgun Safety & Responsibility should be considered a minimum for anyone who owns a firearm or lives in a household that has firearms. Teenagers are welcome if attending with an adult.
    Subjects Covered:

•Gun Safety - The proper way to handle a handgun, loading and unloading a gun safely, and storage of a firearm in the home

•Marksmanship - The proper way to hold a gun, aligning the sights, and pressing the trigger

•Familiarization with Different Types of Handguns - Students will be able to shoot a variety of handguns in different calibers (both semi-automatics and revolvers)

•Handgun Maintenance - Disassembly, cleaning, and safe storage

[edit] modified text from flyer for local course:
    •Legallities: Use of force (both criminal and civil), interactions with law enforcement.

Training Prerequisites: None

Equipment Requirements: None. All equipment is provided.

(Schuylkill County)

That seems like a decent operation and we'll probably attend some of their classes but be warned this appears to be another secret squirrel school where they have law enforcement-only courses and others for lesser mortals.

As well as this:

Training Prerequisites
    CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT or documentation of good character,

Like I said we might go to some stuff but it irks me.
    Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; August 10th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    That seems like a decent operation and we'll probably attend some of their classes but be warned this appears to be another secret squirrel school where they have law enforcement-only courses and others for lesser mortals.

As well as this:

Training Prerequisites
    CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT or documentation of good character,

Like I said we might go to some stuff but it irks me.
    I think you will find the permit/LCTF or references fairly common among many firearms schools. I know I have seen it at more than a few including one I attended in the past out west.

I'm not sure if it insurance based for some form of liability, or just their way of trying to keep out prohibited persons who should not have firearms and may be more apt to commit crimes if they did.

Personally, I have no problem with these requirements since these are private companies.

I have mixed feelings on some of the LEO only courses. There are plenty of good courses out there to keep me busy for many years before I need to feel left out of those I suppose?

(Schuylkill County)

LOL I guess. The main place we're involved with only has equipment requirements.

(Allegheny County)

LOL I guess. The main place we're involved with only has equipment requirements.
    I imagine that would be a happening spot for ex-con gang bangers and other criminal types to go train then. They DO train, this "stupid criminal" nonsense we hear all the time is BS.

for the OP, yes, Insights. If I was out there I would def take a few of their courses.

(York County)

Thank you. I'm passing on the information. Much apppreciated!
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I imagine that would be a happening spot for ex-con gang bangers and other criminal types to go train then. They DO train, this "stupid criminal" nonsense we hear all the time is BS.

for the OP, yes, Insights. If I was out there I would def take a few of their courses.
    nope - -good try tho

(Allegheny County)

nope - -good try tho
    what I should have said was:

Considering the moral, legal, and financial liability that goes along with this type of instruction it is not uncommon to see schools require some form of assurance from their students that they are in fact legal law abiding citizens.

(Allegheny County)

Another option is an NRA FIRST Steps class. It has the advantage that you are not expected to bring or own a firearm, or have a LTCF. It's a short, inexpensive evening class aimed at people who know nothing about firearms. My wife and I both took this course last year at PMSC (write up about it here http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/786...teps-pmsc.html )

From that she'll have a better understanding of the types of handguns available, how to safely use them and the absolute basics of shooting. She'll then be in a better position to make some kind of decision on purchasing a firearm, and progressing to a more involved class on basic handgun use such as those offered by the FIRE Institute and Insight Training.
    [IANAL]It's not about guns, its about effective self defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast