Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • ungawa, it's you

2 5.88%
  • It's them, they were..."scaredy cats"

3 8.82%
  • It's NJ.

22 64.71%
  • They were executing proper situational awareness and response by acting like frightened little girls

5 14.71%
  • Other

2 5.88%
    (Northampton County)

Default NJ Encounter - no animals harmed

I believe the CC and OC forum is the best section to post this thread.

This year, I had to stay a few days in northern NJ. Not carrying. I was hanging out at a real sports bar hot spot. They had TVs and tables and chairs outside for smokers. It was happening inside and outside. Lots of kids, lots of people wanting to get laid. Also, lots of stupid people.

One night, I'm alone and things are winding down around 0100 or whenever. 30 minutes earlier they were breeding like bunnies but I missed out. Now, I go outside for a smoke and there is one guy watching ESPN and one guy with two chicks chatting it up before they head out. They obviously knew each other.

I realize I was an irresponsible smoker and had no lights left. I approach the trio and ask them for a light. The man in the trio is younger than me, far better built, and has about 50 lbm on me.

I ask them for a light. They immediately crap their pants. One of the girls says, "you're not going to rob us, are you? Haha." She was trying to make it sound like a joke but it was not. One of those whistling past the graveyard things we all know.

I'm only asking for a light here, give me a break.

I respond, (LOL), "Oh, not tonight with that big guy you have with you. Maybe some other time." The guy loosens up a bit and says something like, "Oh, haha, well you made the right decision."

This trio of people thought I was going to rob them just outside a hopping sports bar in a good neighborhood with people walking in and out all the time. Is it me or is it them?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: NJ Encounter - no animals harmed

I'm torn between "them" and "NJ" (or many other urban locations). How close did you get to them before speaking? Did they attempt to increase the distance between you at any time after you spoke to them?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm torn between "them" and "NJ" (or many other urban locations). How close did you get to them before speaking? Did they attempt to increase the distance between you at any time after you spoke to them?
    I asked them from about 20 feet away and then walked over. They did not move, I'm trying not to throw out any cliches, let's just say they froze. There was no reason for them to be afraid of me, but they were waiting for some sort of plucking.

EDIT: "Wish you were here." (aka wish you saw it). I don't think it can come through properly on a forum post. It was a very interesting observation of victim psychology, from a very unusual perspective.
    Last edited by ungawa; November 5th, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

(Berks County)

I have been told by many people, one of whom is my dad who knows me pretty well, that I carry myself differently since I've started carrying every day. Even by the few friends who don't yet know that I carry, I've been told that I have a different 'look' about me and that I seem more alert and 'forward' when I interact with people.

I haven't consciously changed anything except I've "upped my sheepdog-ness". Maybe you unknowingly act in a similar manner even when you're not carrying and although most wouldn't notice it (in PA?), the sheepdog-ness was intensified to the point of 'wolf' when you made contact with the foreigners from NJ. They're so dumbed down and sheepled that they cower when confronted, no matter what a guy's intentions are.

(Lehigh County)

I've heard it before (although I can't remember where), that asking for a light, or asking what time it is, is a common way to start a mugging as it temporarily distracts the victim. It may be complete bs, but it is something I've heard.

Maybe one of them had been robbed in a similar way before?

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I've heard it before (although I can't remember where), that asking for a light, or asking what time it is, is a common way to start a mugging as it temporarily distracts the victim. It may be complete bs, but it is something I've heard.

I've read that to somewhere as well.
    Thinking about the OP situation, I'll never forget back when I was 18 or 19 going to NYC with some friends and getting lost. Back then I couldn't understand why no one would talk to us when we rolled the car window down and asked for directions. We thought, hmmmm... these people are really unfriendly! Now that I think about it, that wasn't the case at all...

(Monroe County)

Before I could vote I'd need to know the town and neighborhood.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post

I think that thought crossed all of our minds at that moment

It just seemed really out of place.

The poll was just for fun. The place was Miami Mikes in East Hanover.

(Monroe County)

That's kind of a weird area. I had some customers down behind the home depot off 10 and the Murray Rd area. There is a paranoia down there with all the transient traffic and the NYers that moved there but still work in the city.

Once you get east of 287 it gets a little funky plus you can be in a decent neighborhood and go a block and not so nice.