Hello all,

I recently applied via email for a LTCF through the Allegheny County Sheriff. I received in the mail a letter stating that I had been denied by the Pennsylvania State Police for an undisclosed reason. Included with the letter was a PA State Police PICS Challenge form, Form SP 4-197 (10-2008).

As I was filling out the Challenge form, I noticed a subtle, but very important difference in the language between the application I downloaded from the Sheriff's site and the Challenge form I was sent [link to pdf].

From Question 32 on the original application:

ARE YOU NOW CHARGED WITH, OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY IMPRISONMENT FOR A TERM EXCEEDING ONE YEAR?
And from Prohibition 2 on the challenge form:

Charged with or convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, not including offenses pertaining to antitrust, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or regulation of business; or state offenses classified as misdemeanors and punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed two years.
Unfortunately, this is not an academic matter for myself. In the past, I have been charged with crimes that could have carried a maximum term of imprisonment over a year. Thankfully, such incidents have ended with charges dropped or reduced to a summary conviction.

My interpretation of the two quotes is that the application prohibits a LTCF for those currently under indictment, while the challenge form prohibits anyone from applying for one that has ever had charges, regardless of the outcome.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation? I figure I should call the PSP Monday morning, but if just having been charged would prevent me from submitting the challenge form, I'd rather not waste their time on the phone.

I've been following the forums for a while and there seems to be a great wealth of experience here. Any and all insight is much appreciated.

Rhodes