Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Is it common that Ruger SR9's barrels have scratches?

Greetings to all. This is my first post in this forum, I hope I am putting it in the right place.

Today I purchased a new Ruger SR9. When I got it home and unboxed it I noticed there are some pretty deep scratches on the outside of the barrel when the slide is locked to the rear. These scratches are severe enough that I would consider the appearance of the barrel to be very unsightly. Also there is a groove around the barrel about 1/3" back from the front.

Is this normal? Of course I will call the dealer tomorrow but since they are closed now I thought I would ask here.

Thanks very much for any info you can provide.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Is it common that Ruger SR9's barrels have scratches?

Difficult to say without seeing pictures. Not having handled one yet I can only assume it is a fairly typical tilt barrel locking block style like Glock, SIG. et. el.

Barrels of these types of pistols will show some wear where it rubs up against the frame. My SIG has the typical 'similes' and my Glock shows just the slightest wear but I haven't shot it much.

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then you probably have a problem. If it just finish wear from cycling the slide then you may be good to go. Pictures would help.

Sorry I can't help more.

(Washington County)

I handled one the other day at the store and did not notice any large scratches on the barrel of it. You said there is a groove around the barrel about 1/3" back from the front? Hmm. My xd has a little groove there as well, but it is probably because I have thousands of rounds through it. I don't believe a new pistol should have that.

(Bucks County)

I think it is closer to the norm then not. I just picked up a new SR9C and my barrel is pretty nasty. If you do a image search on Google there are more that pop up. Also check out http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/. You can even give Ruger a call. A called them twice last week with a question about my SR9c and their customer service was very friendly and informative.

Here is mine

Last edited by cyclesteel; August 8th, 2010 at 07:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the help here and the great pic from CS (macro lens? Lots of mega pixels?)

I thought I jumped back in here with an update yesterday but I don't see it here so who knows where I put it.

Anyway I'm starting to think that's just how the barrels are. Mine is actually a little worse than Cyclesteel's. The dealer told me to bring it in and if they thought there was a problem they'd send it back to Ruger for service. I'm sure it's me, I just like my stuff to look good. I bought a brand new gun and I was surprised to see all those scratches. Anyway Ruger responded to my email next business day and wants some pix.

For someone who was a commercial photographer for 15 years I'm ashamed to admit I don't own a camera. So I will borrow one of my brother's and shoot some pix over to Ruger (no pun intended) just to see what they say.

Your Post inspired me to field strip my SR9 == It looks just like the pic Cyclesteel posted. Funny I never really noticed it before, But the gun has been flawless since day one, So I'm good with it.

~ TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Monroe County)

Ruger pistols and Revolvers are full of scratches and blemishes, my $329 Rossi made Rugers look like theyre not even trying.

If you want a beautifully made Ruger get a 1970's security six, now that is a beautiful gun, i just have no stomach for the poorly polished cast junk that Ruger sells these days.
    And this is coming from a Ruger fan.

Its more like "Is it common for Rugers to NOT have scratches"

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/10...ing-ruger.html

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
    Thanks for all the help here and the great pic from CS (macro lens? Lots of mega pixels?)
    I am pretty sure I used my Sony TX7 which is a great little pocket camera and does very well in low light which is why i picked it up. I also have a Canon 40D but it is too big to take every where .

Back to the Rugers

I just sent my SR9C back to Ruger yesterday. I put about 200 rounds through it this weekend and had a light strike. After reading the Ruger forums there where a few other people having the same issue and their strikers where replaced. This was going to be my main carry gun so 1 failure to fire is too many. Ruger has pretty good CS so everything should be fixed up in a week or two.

(Lehigh County)

i have prob close to 2k rounds through mine without any probs yet.... i never looked at the outside of the barrel cuz i never thought about that for asthetics... however right above the grip on the right side of he gun i managed to put a few light scratches into it and it kinda pisses me off... they can be buffed out but im too lazy at the moment!!

ill check mine out and take a pic or 2 when i get off this afternoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast