Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S.A M1911A1 accurized by George Madore

Howdy Folks,

I have a Springfield Armory M1911 A1 .45 accurized by George Madore many many years ago. The weapon was owned by my father (Joe Carapellotti) who was a close personal friend of Georges'. I inherited this weapon when my father passed (2001), and kept it in the hopes that I eventually would be doing some competitive shooting. Unfortunately, this has not come to pass. I have other handguns which I keep available for home protection .. but this .45 is a bit of an overkill to just sit on the nightstand.

I am considering putting it up for sale (probably will), but I was hoping someone here could give me some idea of it's value. I'm not looking to get rich off it, but I also don't want to get rooked.

Can some of you folks give me some ideas on value? And if necessary, what kind of things I should be looking for to increase/decrease the value? I can tell you that since 2001, the gun has seen less than 100 rounds shot through it, and it's been kept safely stored in the gun box for all this time, so it's pretty much in the same condition it was in when my father passed.

I appreciate any information .. Thank you

Karl

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: S.A M1911A1 accurized by George Madore

Start asking at 80% to 85% of the price of a new Les Baer or Clark Custom Bullseye gun and see if you get any bites.

Les Baer now asks $1890 for his Bullseye guns
    Clark is asking $1695 for theirs.

Come to think of it, maybe you better keep the gun!

Shoot it, enjoy it, use it (in good health)! If you'll sell it you'll probably never replace it and I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll never find a better gun!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Luzerne County)

I, too, have a Madore gun. There was a man who was a genius at making .45s shoot really well.
    As to value.....I am partial to the advice given already....if you aren't in dire need, keep the gun because you'll never get another like it.
    If you pursue sale, the advice already given is a good place to start. Or higher. Pictures would help.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

That gun is a family gun. You can not put a value on it. Don't sell it, use it, keep it, and remember your Dad every time you use it. If you sell it it is gone and you will KICK your self in the butt every time you see one or hear of one.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    That gun is a family gun. You can not put a value on it. Don't sell it, use it, keep it, and remember your Dad every time you use it. If you sell it it is gone and you will KICK your self in the butt every time you see one or hear of one.
    Listen to this good advise .....
    "Emergency's seldom favor the unprepared"

(Lancaster County)

DO NOT SELL IT. at best, you might get a months salary for it $2 grand? but it was made by friend of your fathers for HIM, and as such is priceless. have you ever played fallout? if so how many guns are named for their owners? in the long run, if you need the money to survive, then sell it, but if you dont KEEP IT pass it down to your kids as "pap's 45" just my 2 cents... as a dad and old fart... Shoot it and think of him! Cb

Thanks All for all the good advice. Believe me, I know what you're saying about this being a Family gun, and that it should be (and IS) special to me. If I thought that there was ANY possibility that I would ever fire it again, I would keep it, definitely. And I know Dad would kick my butt for selling if this was the case.

However, that is NOT going to happen .. guaranteed. And I also know that Dad would want his guns USED, not sitting idle in a closet. If I was sure that I was not going to be using it, Dad would want it to go to a shooter who would appreciate it. As I have no family of my own, it is not in the works to make it a legacy of mine, either.

As to pictures, Yes I know that they help. I had to wait for a friend to come over to take them for me, as I am not capable of holding a camera (or handgun!) steady enough to shoot (another reason I'm willing to part with it ... Dad taught me gun safety from about the time I was 1 year old - and presently, I would be a danger to anyone on a range, myself included )

Here's the pics :

sa1.jpg

sa2.jpg

sa3.jpg

sa4.jpg

sa5.jpg

This is the second Madore gun to come along in as many months. While I agree with the other posters as far as keeping it because of its heirloom status, I have to disagree with some of the values stated.

You are selling to a very limited market. It is a Bullseye gun - while Bullseye is still around, I bet not many on here know anybody that still competes at 2700, and those that do tend to be older and already have a suitable battery. The gun really can't be used for much else other than plinking (heresy for a Bullseye gun).

The other Madore to which I made reference was part of a special series he did using Caspian components. This one is simply made from a Brazilian SA 1911A1 - even the barrel is still, presumably, the OE SA barrel - the caspian gun had a Kart barrel.

George was a well respected Bullseye gunsmith and had a reputation for making 1911's that shoot. But, given the limited market and the components from which this gun is built, I'd say you'll be lucky to get $1200. The other Madore in question sold for $1400 to someone that still competes (so that's one less buyer out there).

Good luck with your sale. If there are any forums devoted to Bullseye, that should be your first choice for advertising it. Don't mean to bring you down, just better to have realistic expectations going in, and if you do hit a homerun, so much the better. Again, good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    This is the second Madore gun to come along in as many months. While I agree with the other posters as far as keeping it because of its heirloom status, I have to disagree with some of the values stated.

You are selling to a very limited market. It is a Bullseye gun - while Bullseye is still around, I bet not many on here know anybody that still competes at 2700, and those that do tend to be older and already have a suitable battery. The gun really can't be used for much else other than plinking (heresy for a Bullseye gun).

The other Madore to which I made reference was part of a special series he did using Caspian components. This one is simply made from a Brazilian SA 1911A1 - even the barrel is still, presumably, the OE SA barrel - the caspian gun had a Kart barrel.

George was a well respected Bullseye gunsmith and had a reputation for making 1911's that shoot. But, given the limited market and the components from which this gun is built, I'd say you'll be lucky to get $1200. The other Madore in question sold for $1400 to someone that still competes (so that's one less buyer out there).

Good luck with your sale. If there are any forums devoted to Bullseye, that should be your first choice for advertising it. Don't mean to bring you down, just better to have realistic expectations going in, and if you do hit a homerun, so much the better. Again, good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    I'd kinda have to agree with Bob.It's a cool,really nice gun,but really,there's nothing super special about it.Other than the sights,which are drop ons,no milling or anything really custom,the entire gun is a stock Brazilian Springfield.I'm sure it has a lovely trigger pull,nice fitting job,ETC,but most of the parts are stock.It's not really useable for any kind of competition other than Bullseye,for anything else,even as a good defense gun,those sights gotta go.I'd be thinking nine hundred to a grand if you're lucky,unless you found a guy who's a Madore collector.Most guns built by gunsmiths,no matter how well built,seldom go for what they cost to build,unless you're talking Wilson,Clark,Rock River,ETC,the big names with the big reps..Just like the stupid 70 grand choppers from OCC that I sell the exact same thing for 25...Just wondering though,why ain't ya ever gonna shoot it?

(Westmoreland County)

The last two posts are dead on. this gun is worth $800-1100 retail depending on the buyer. A Bullseye shooter will pay the most. A USPSA/IDPA shooter will pay at the low end. It has a checkered mainstrap, the frame, slide and barrel are probably fitted really tight. But for an action shooter, it needs the Bomar milled in, the front sight needs dovetailed, it needs a beavertail fitted, the safeties need replaced, and a magwell. One thing that scares me, many of these Bullseye guns had the front sight welded in, that sort of screws you in the future cutting a dovetail.

Good luck on selling it. I would probably keep it.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast