Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Anyone out there carry a judge?

The Judge Public Defender (by Taurus) has caught my eye, as it is a 2.5 inch snubnose revolver that fires 410 or 45LC which was designed for concealed carry. Does anybody actually carry this thing on a daily basis? Do you think the 000 federal 410 shells would provide more stopping power/more protection than many of the hydroshock/hollow point loads we carry in such calibers as .38 or .40? I'm considering picking up a good 38 for concealed carry such as the Ruger LCR and packing it with some nice +p hollowpoints, but I can't help but wonder if the 410 shot out of the judge would be more effective.

Default Re: Anyone out there carry a judge?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    The Judge Public Defender (by Taurus) has caught my eye, as it is a 2.5 inch snubnose revolver that fires 410 or 45LC which was designed for concealed carry. Does anybody actually carry this thing on a daily basis? Do you think the 000 federal 410 shells would provide more stopping power/more protection than many of the hydroshock/hollow point loads we carry in such calibers as .38 or .40? I'm considering picking up a good 38 for concealed carry such as the Ruger LCR and packing it with some nice +p hollowpoints, but I can't help but wonder if the 410 shot out of the judge would be more effective.
    Use the search feature and I am sure you will find plenty of reading on the question you ask.

I believe the general opinion around these parts is that the 38 special snub nose would be superior to the taurus judge on multiple levels for cc.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    Use the search feature and I am sure you will find plenty of reading on the question you ask.

I believe the general opinion around these parts is that the 38 special snub nose would be superior to the taurus judge on multiple levels for cc.
    Thanks for the info. I will refine my search, but an initial search (before posting) turned up few threads that specifically addressed the characteristics of the Public Defender.

(Allegheny County)

i would want to see some gel tests for that ammo out of the judge before concluding it is an adequate self-defense round.

logically, .410 out of that short of a barrel is not going to be a good self-defense round. however, maybe federal came up with some way to make it work. but without gel tests showing adequate penetration, i don't believe it personally.

further, imho, even if it does offer adequate penetration, i think there are better choices than a 5 shot revolver for self-defense...but that is just my opinion--others disagree, obviously.
    F*S=k

Thanks for the info. That was one of my concerns, as the only Judge I would consider is the 2.5 version for carrying, and I wonder how much the ammo is limited by that tiny barrel.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Thanks for the info. That was one of my concerns, as the only Judge I would consider is the 2.5 version for carrying, and I wonder how much the ammo is limited by that tiny barrel.
    yeah, that would be my concern as well.

just to be clear, though, i'm not saying it is definitely not going to provide adequate penetration. it just seems unlikely to me...so i am skeptical and would want to see some evidence to the contrary before i would consider carrying it.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

My dad got a Judge (not the public defender). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. But the thing is monsterous in size. I just can't imagine carrying one. I think there are much better options. The judge doesn't offer anything a .357mag doesn't. Unless you're using buckshot, which isn't real effective in a 410. I'd take 6-9 rounds of 357 over the 5 round judge.

.45 colt--255gr--523 ft-lb
    .410 slug-- 650 ft-lb (from a rifle)
    .357mag--125gr--710 ft-lb
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

You can get a smaller, lighter gun that holds the same number of rounds or more... rounds that pack more punch. Why anyone gets a Judge for a defense gun is beyond me. I think they have their limited uses, but I don't see defense as one of them unless you're defending yourself from snakes.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    Why anyone gets a Judge for a defense gun is beyond me.
    I think it's the myth of the shotgun. All you have to do is point it in the general direction and it'll obliterate whatever you're aiming at. Just like in the movies.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    logically, .410 out of that short of a barrel is not going to be a good self-defense round. however, maybe federal came up with some way to make it work. but without gel tests showing adequate penetration, i don't believe it personally.
    Had a friend who's wife carried one years ago. We were deployed, and she was home all alone for 14 months. Someone broke into her house while she wasnt home. She came home from walking her dog to find the BG still there. He rushed her and she shot him wit it. Per her husband's advise the first round to be fired was scattershot. Being winter, he was wearing heavy clothing. From across the room it didn't even penetrate his coat. Lucky for him, the dog charged and took him down before she could fire another shot.

That was the last time she carried it.
    "Kicking the darkness until it bleeds light."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast