Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Activating Tapatalk for the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I also think those automated "the messaged posted from Droid using Tapatalk" lines screws up the flow of conversation. I think signatures do the same, but fortunately our Admin lets us hide those. It's dumb that you pay for the product, and also have to advertise it to people who don't want it.
    I can shut the signature off in the Settings on both iPad and iPhone.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I also think those automated "the messaged posted from Droid using Tapatalk" lines screws up the flow of conversation. I think signatures do the same, but fortunately our Admin lets us hide those. It's dumb that you pay for the product, and also have to advertise it to people who don't want it.
    You aren't required to 'advertise' it at all, you may disable the function entirely from the tapatalk client, or change it to whatever you wish. While I understand and agree with you THAT is a little annoying. I personally disable it from my client, but thats not stopping others for using the feature. I feel you DO bring a valid point I hadn't considered, and its a much better argument than some others have made like stating that because their browser accomplishes exactly what they want, others shouldn't have the option to use tapatalk or another app for that matter. I've been using my phone this whole time, but it would be nice to be able to use a forum app, they display the forums faster and simpler for my 4.3" screen.. Though part of the reason using my browser is a little more bearable on my phone is the native 1280x720 display.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    I can shut the signature off in the Settings on both iPad and iPhone.
    Good to know. I don't use the product, but I'd ASSumed that if it could be shut off, everyone would do it. I'll shift my contempt then from the product to the users who don't shut it off.

(Lackawanna County)

There really are no good reasons NOT to support Tapatalk. The only people who are against it are those who have never used it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    There really are no good reasons NOT to support Tapatalk. The only people who are against it are those who have never used it.
    I've run multiple enterprise and DOD networks and web pages, and when downtime puts dollars at stake and compromises the user experience, there are always reasons not to introduce complexity to the environment unless it benefits the overall goals of the network/webpage. I'm not saying it's never done, but it's never done without thorough research, testing, and an implementation plan that allows the ability to roll back the change if anything unforeseen breaks. Any later code that is introduced will have to be tested for compatibility with the new product before being rolled out. I don't know how much money/time/effort our admins want to put into this site, but they've proven to be very thorough with making technical changes in the past, so there's no reason to think they would (or should) just extract a package into a root directory without doing their due diligence to make sure it doesn't screw anything else up.

Your statement reflects that you don't have any idea what goes into such a decision. You make it sound like Admin is specifically not rolling it out just to make your life harder. It's not always about you.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Activating Tapatalk for the Forum

+1 vote for Tapatalk support. As a frequent user via iPhone I'd love to see it. A lot smoother and faster interface while mobile vs. Safari or Chrome.

As a Linux admin, networking geek and datacenter manager I can certainly appreciate the concerns regarding security, but simply running vBulletin itself, Apache, PHP, Sendmail, BIND, SSH, QMAIL, whatever, you'll have issues all the time. It's just the nature of the beast. I can only hope the servers used here are not using something like C-Panel or such that lock you into certain versions of apps or make it more difficult to upgrade. Not knowing the layout of the hosting I couldn't comment on that.

Anyhow, +1 from me, I bought the client and like it for DELOC and a few other forums I frequent and occasionally do a search for Tapatalk here to see what's up.

(Lancaster County)

I like it but have gotten used to just using my phones browser for pafoa.

(Northampton County)

Another please may we for Tapatalk. Yes the site can be utilized from a mobile browser but it is so much more simple and clean.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Another please may we for Tapatalk. Yes the site can be utilized from a mobile browser but it is so much more simple and clean.
    I actually activated this for a test forum that I did on my own personal site, just to see how it works and what's involved in activating.

I took notes and sent everything to Dan explaining the ease of installing and configuring. Never heard back about it.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Allegheny County)

It's never going to happen. PAFOA is just missing out on my traffic throughout the day. I do one check of posts in the morning and that's it because I only access the site through a computer. Viewing through my phone's browser sucks.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast