Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Activating Tapatalk for the Forum

I installed it on glock.pro and currently have it on gun-forum.com. It doesn't interfere with any vbulletin files on the server - completely self contained besides needing access to the database.

Do it!

(Delaware County)

Agree it's great for mobile phones. Off topic why does quick reply never work for me?

(Bucks County)

I'm guessing this still hasn't been put in place... oh well.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Dauphin County)

I assume after 2yrs of discussion in multiple forums by many members with no real consideration for ease of use and viewability for mobile users with 5" or smaller screens... We'll never see TapaTalk compatability on these forums? I don't mean to come off as disrespectful to any admins. I'm just looking for a definitive answer because there hasn't been a yes or no after all this time. As others have said, I also hate getting the message that forums support tapatalk when first visiting a forum via a mobile browser, But I'm sure If the admin really wanted to the message could be disabled. Tapatalk may lack some features available when using an actual browser, but when on the go tapatalk makes quick browsing, searching, and posting much less cumbersome for mobile users. Its sometimes difficult to click on links when using a mobile browser, and occasionally some code just doesn't work with some mobile browsers. I know that many other users including myself would benefit from tapatalk support. Security concerns have been disproved years ago in other threads on this forum. I hope this matter could be reconsidered.
    Last edited by hekel32spl; June 22nd, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

(Chester County)

i'd still rather not if we get to vote on it

the popup is annoying to those who don't use it and there is no way to turn it off (at least on an iPhone)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finch00 View Post
    i'd still rather not if we get to vote on it

the popup is annoying to those who don't use it and there is no way to turn it off (at least on an iPhone)
    As I tried to say, I'm sure if the admins really wanted to, code could be changed in the sites tapatalk directory to disable the popup for all users.. I have gone to forums which support tapatalk and havn't recieved the popup.

edit: I'd be willing to bet if you changed your mobile browser's UserAgent to a Desktop Browser you wouldn't see the popup again.
    Last edited by hekel32spl; June 22nd, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

(Chester County)

I'd also rather not. Smartphones these days can be told to not use the mobile versions of web pages. I see the same pafoa.org on my laptop as I do on the EvoLTE, and it works fine. Just because someone could change some code to make it less invasive doesn't mean anyone will. It's also one more thing to support/update/secure, and I'd rather see that time go to the existing site that benefits all users, than the x% that will use this app.

Just my $.02

Now that we're on new infrastructure, perhaps there will be an opportunity to consider these things. I don't know what Dan's plans are regarding this. But, if he's as cautious about proceeding as he appears to have been about the move itself (a positive thing, I'll add), then it'll be at least a few months before he's even ready to consider whether or not he wants to revisit this.

Note carefully that I am not saying Dan is going to consider this at all. I am merely saying that, in my personal estimation, he's not going to even be open to revisiting this until the site move has finished shaking out and he has a good baseline to work with. I have no idea what his thoughts on the matter are at this point, and am obviously not speaking on his behalf.

(Dauphin County)

I have Tapatalk installed on iPhone and iPad. I can access eight forums (fora?) I visit out of 10 total (pafoa and my ruger forum are not enabled). There are a few nits and limitations of Tapatalk over Web access but on a phone it's much better to view and for basic reading and replying it's great. And with two taps it will spawn a web page in your browser if needed.

If it's not going to compromise security or stability, it's worth it, IMO. If it costs, then where do I send an additional donation?
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Chester County)

I also think those automated "the messaged posted from Droid using Tapatalk" lines screws up the flow of conversation. I think signatures do the same, but fortunately our Admin lets us hide those. It's dumb that you pay for the product, and also have to advertise it to people who don't want it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast