Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Activating Tapatalk for the Forum

I'm an IT guy by trade, so I do understand the concerns, and I admit I don't know how this site is setup or what makes it more complex than others, but looking at the instructions on the Tapatalk site, it really doesn't look that bad.

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tap...ugin=vbulletin

Installation with Push Notification (Recommended)

•Place the zip package at the root of your forum system.
    •Unzip the package. You should see a directory called "mobiquo" inside your forum system root directory. For example, if your forum URL is http://www.mysite.com/forum, it should be placed at http://www.mysite.com/forum/mobiquo/.
    •Login to Administration Control Panel
    •Go to 'Plugin & Products' -> 'Manage Products' and click 'Add/Import Products' on the page bottom.
    •Import the XML file 'product-tapatalk.xml' found inside the "mobiquo" directory in your server. To import, choose 'Import the XML file from your server' and enter './mobiquo/product-tapatalk.xml', click the "Import" button.
    •See also the "Push Notification for vBulletin" section below

Feel free to PM me if you want/need help. I can't see a reason why a planned maintenance window couldn't be set if there isn't a QA/DEV environment already available, backup the site (if not done already) and give it a go?

(Lackawanna County)

if he doesnt own the server nor have admin rights to it it could be a cost issue outside of a normal maintenance window. He would need to engage someone from the provider to do it all. Sure it sounds simple but if you dont work in that environment its not always the easiest thing to do. If he is on an ala carte service plan that couple hour window can get expensive quick.

i do not know what the reason is for not going with tapatalk. I dont use it. I dont browse from mobile. If i do its on my tablet and I can use the regular forum. I do know there are issues wiht tapatalk at times loosing page views etc. On an forum that generates revenue to help it stay online by utilizing google adsense and things like that every click counts.

(Lehigh County)

Hey, after all, this IS Dans playground. I was a supporting member a couple years back - but due to another "issue" that I dont recall I quit being a paying member. I have also found that the content / direction / people that do contribute here have changed in a direction that Im not excited about. That said, like a retailer that bans firearms, I take my business elsewhere. While there isnt another PAFOA - there are a couple other sites that have sprung up that were all free to peruse.

All said, I met some fantastic friends on PAFOA and still keep in touch with many of them (albeit through "other" channels)... were all free to vote economically, and by judging from the number of paying folks contributing to THIS thread - it appears many of us have done just that. Yes, implementing a new feature takes resources (some financial) and I personally decide what to/not to support based upon the usefulness of such feature-sets. That said, Im a mobile tech worker, and If I could easily use the forum from my mobile device I would be more inclined to re-join as a paying supporter, but then again.... without it Ill get around to PAFOA whenever its convenient with a desktop connection

(Berks County)

I know this is an old thread but I can't stress enough how important TAPATALK is... I rarely even use forums that don't support it. I am a new member and have not registered because it was not tapatalk compatible.

I have a friend who develops websites and could literally do it for you if you needed his help. He is a fellow firearms enthusiast.

He built our ATV/SxS club website. Check it out. Completely compatible with Tapatalk and it took him 5-10 minutes.

www.blackrockatv.com

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    ... If I could easily use the forum from my mobile device I would be more inclined to re-join as a paying supporter, but then again.... without it Ill get around to PAFOA whenever its convenient with a desktop connection
    I feel you. I have considered contributing with a paid membership but the lack of Tapatalk or at least an official response from whoever would implement it giving a good reason not to would probably convince me to sign up for a paid membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottrod View Post
    I have a friend who develops websites and could literally do it for you if you needed his help. He is a fellow firearms enthusiast.
    I hope someone responds to your offer who is in a position to actually make this happen. I begin to doubt this thread (or subforum) is actually monitored.

A lot of stuff on the front page of PAFOA makes it seem almost abandoned. There is still stuff from the 2010 Castle Doctrine thing in the "Recent News". I moved to PA in 2011 so when I saw that I thought it was recent and was ready to write to government officials. When I looked up the house resolution number and things started not lining up I took another look at the "recent news" and saw it was outdated by over a year.

Edit: Finally backtracked a page and saw that it was in fact, answered by the appropriate folks. Now time to weigh whether or not I consider it a good reason (especially considering people have offered help in implementing it) and decide if it's time to subscribe lol
    Last edited by jpkotor; January 14th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    On an forum that generates revenue to help it stay online by utilizing google adsense and things like that every click counts.
    Activating Tapatalk for paying members would be a solution to the possible hurdles you listed. I would pay for a membership for that. That being said, I'm sure many, many forums with Tapatalk operate in a similar fashion and it isn't enough for them to exclude the feature.

(Chester County)

I would pay... Well I am about too regardless.. But that would be a plus
    check out my Photo page: http://www.facebook.com/Blak1508

(Bucks County)

The first order of business should be upgrading the forum software to vb4 or wait for vb5 to be final. Once it is upgraded, there are various mobile options available that I'm sure Dan is thinking about.

This takes programming time - Dan does this as a hobby - I'm sure he knows he should make a mobile decision soon..

Lets talk about guns.

I'll support Dan on whatever he does. I've learned a lot and have made some good friends here.

(Westmoreland County)

Another person on the Tapatalk bandwagon. FWIW, I co-run a forum running vbulletin with roughly 5000 members and the Tapatalk integration is quite simple and really drives up views. We see roughly 80% of views coming via Tapatalk these days. Anyway, upgrading to 4 or 5 is probably higher priority, but Tapatalk is a must IMHO.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GiftedPlacebo View Post
    Another person on the Tapatalk bandwagon. FWIW, I co-run a forum running vbulletin with roughly 5000 members and the Tapatalk integration is quite simple and really drives up views. We see roughly 80% of views coming via Tapatalk these days. Anyway, upgrading to 4 or 5 is probably higher priority, but Tapatalk is a must IMHO.
    +1

*lengthening my message to at least 10 characters*

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast