Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Always something going on at Giant Eagle

A local grocery store sometimes is a place where I find the ill informed, silly and just down right stupid.

Recently, as usual I'm OC'ing (with my wife and daughter in front of me) about to enter one of our local Giant Eagle grocery stores when I hear someone saying in a loud and matter-of-fact tone, "You can't carry a gun like d'at!" My wife turned her head and looked at me with that "Oh boy, not again" look and continued to enter the store with our daughter while I stopped and turned to get a look at yet another "Gun Law Scholar".

I see that it's one of the black fella's (two males and one female) I noticed just a few moments prior standing at the Red Box doing some movie renting/returning business while staring at me as if they seen some type of apparition. I'll guess that the gentlemen making the remark was around my age (50) with a graying goatee, though his companions seemed a bit younger.

Though they were all looking directly at me I replied (just to be sure), "excuse me?" This time he said, "You can't do d'at... You can't be walk'n around wit d'at all stick'n out like you is." But this time the female chimed in too and said (in a lowered voice while motioning with her hands at her right side (like she's trying to do me a favor, not to embarrass me)), "You gots to cover d'at up", nodding her head in agreement with her companion.

I wanted to make this quick so I could get back to my wife and daughter so I said while slowing continuing toward the doors, "No, that's not true. In this state of Pennsylvania it's perfectly legal to open carry in public."

They all looked puzzled, shaking their heads no while saying, "no, d'at aint right, no you can't". I stopped and said, "Yes, it's true, as long as you can legally own a gun you can open carry."

Now this is when the conversation turned ugly and I ended it. It's when the 50-ish year old fella said, "Yeah, for y'all caus you white but not for the black man... The black man can't do d'at!" I said, "What?! What the fuc... Get the hell outta here... I know black men who open carry all the time like I do." Before I lost my temper and stated what I really thought I just let it go and said, "Ok, well whatever... Do the research and find out for yourself." and I entered the store and rejoined my wife and daughter. I know they were saying something else but the doors closed and I really don't know what it was they said. At this point I didn't care.

Look, I know and understand that profiling takes place all the time but I've been questioned and stopped (harassed) for OC'ing many times as well. I endure and continue to OC in spite-of such events, like many of us here. I have little sympathy and tolerance for those who throw up their hands and make excuses. If you don't want to OC for whatever reason then don't. I have my suspicions as to why my three new "friends" may be so opposed to OC. Or should I say, why they didn't seem to like the fact that I was OC'ing.

Anyways, it seems that I acquired a plethora of stories similar to this that occurred over the past year or two. Most of them had very good results.
    Last edited by Harry; August 5th, 2010 at 03:54 AM.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Always something going on at Giant Eagle

When I do not have time to talk I give them a flyer and tell them the info they need is there. This may not have worked in this case but flyers are a good thing to have.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Allegheny County)

Right, absolutely. They are a great asset. I always try to keep two in my wallet just for that purpose. Though for some reason didn't think about it at that time.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Right, absolutely. They are a great asset. I always try to keep two in my wallet just for that purpose. Though for some reason didn't think about it at that time.
    I know that feeling. I have always had them with me. But one time I just forgot to give one out. The lady I was talking to would have taken it. We were talking about OC/CC in a bank. She had an LTCF.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Eh, there's no profiling etc going on there.

My neighbors prove 'black stereotypes' to be true for them all the time, it doesn't mean all black people prove them right, my other neighbors who are black as well are pretty much the opposite of the other neighbors.

Stupid people will be stupid no matter what color they are.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yes, it's true, as long as you can legally own a gun you can open carry."
    Probably the answer right here.

(Delaware County)

As sad as this is, it's actually somewhat funny how close minded some people are. If I were in your situation it would have been hard to hold back the laughter when I was told that racist comment.

I guess Black people have been drinking the government koolaid about gun ownership and bearing arms for so long they think its truth. Ironicaly those infringing laws and unconstitutional ordinances were put in place to keep the black population pacified post civil war. And its the black population that embraces the very party that is set on taking away their freedom to protect themselves in the social conditions related to poverty.
    Funny old world, isn't it?
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post

Stupid people will be stupid no matter what color they are.
    Actually, that right there is the answer.

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Always something going on at Giant Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    And its the black population that embraces the very party that is set on taking away their freedom to protect themselves in the social conditions related to poverty.
    Funny old world, isn't it?
    The social policies of the Democratic Party ensure that certain segments of the voting community remains stuck exactly where they have always been.....and that they keep on re-electing candidates from the Democratic Party.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast