Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Anyone been to Cabela's recently?

If so have you noticed any good gun deals? Online I can only view their Gun Library which I'm not interested in lol.

Default Re: Anyone been to Cabela's recently?

Only good deals I ever got at Cabela's was for some camping gear, and the cinnamon roasted Almonds....

I was just there saturday and bought a ruger mk iii hunter...had a gift card for $50.00 i wanted to spend so i put it towards that.

There arent any good deals on new stuff...everything is marked up about 5-10%(at least) above other stores....

I did see an IBM M1 carbine for $600.00...nice gun, though it had an import mark on the barrel

(York County)

I got a pretty good deal from the "preowned" case.
    (I snicker whenever I read that label...)

Bought a Cimarron Lightning for $395. Got to admit. They only charged me $2 for the PICS, an additional $3 for Pennsylvania's (not) registration, and sales tax. My total cost came to $424. Gun appeared to be unfired (Not Anymore!) and current suggested retail according to Cimarron's own website is $567, so no matter how you call it, the numbers worked out good for me. I liked the fact that they didn't grossly inflate the PICS and state police fees like our local Freedom Armory does.

The trick with Cabellas is to skip the new case and only look for used guns. The day I picked up my Cimarron there was also an Uberti 1873 rifle for $660, a Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle for $600, Marlin 1895 .444 with scope for $475, and a couple of really nice sporterized Mausers and 03 Springfield with custom stocks for pretty good prices as well.

Granted the prices are all over the place, mostly inflated, but it pays to look. Just don't go on a weekend at mid day or you'll be wandering for hours waiting to gut paged when they finally run your info and get approval.

Oh yes, they KEEP your driver's license when you fill out your paperwork, only giving it back after they've run your info. I don't like that at all.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    If so have you noticed any good gun deals?
    VERY rarely... and I mean "very"... In reality, the only way you will get a deal at Cabelas on a gun is if it's on sale, and you have a coupon or points to use. Occasionally there will be something decently priced, but it's not too often. I mostly just go out there to handle a gun, and then go somewhere else to buy it.

As I said awhile ago, when I got my XDm .40, I got it through my dealer for $565... I checked at Cabelas the next time I was out just out of curiosity, and they had a USED one, exactly the same for $640...

You really have to be careful about what you want, and how much its worth. Every time I'm out there I see people paying $50+ more than what they should one guns because they don't know better.

Cabelas is alright for what they do... I've bought a couple guns from them in the past (with coupon and on sale).. the main key is to know what you want, and how much it is worth.
    III%

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    . . . The trick with Cabellas is to skip the new case and only look for used guns . . . Granted the prices are all over the place, mostly inflated, but it pays to look . . . Just don't go on a weekend at mid day or you'll be wandering for hours waiting to gut paged when they finally run your info and get approval.
    +1. If you know your used gun market pricing and look for the few value-priced items that may be in the case or rack, then it is possible to come away with a decent buy at Cabelas.

Oh yes, they KEEP your driver's license when you fill out your paperwork, only giving it back after they've run your info. I don't like that at all.
    That's done in case they get a PICS operator who may request hair and eye color, or (infrequently) the current address on the DL. The dealers in my area write hair and eye color on the 2nd page of the 4473 in some unused info block and hand the DL back. In the case of Cabelas, its their procedure to keep the DL in case a PICS operator comes on the line.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

I have been on a pocket gun collecting spree lately and you can usually find great deals on them in the USED case. IE: 1st Gen Kel Tec P32 for $150 unfired while the same gun in the new case is double that ten feet away.

Besides used pistols I only browse the used long rifles. I have several friends who have picked up HD shotguns there for cheap. I just bought a Winchester M200 (1200) with 18.5" win 1400 barrel and folding stock for $215. As others have stated, you have to know what items are worth before you go. Or as I do, have an Inter-net capable cell phone : )

(Northampton County)

I was at Cabela's last Sunday mid morning and it was a total zoo. The gun counter was like a busy deli counter. I had to take a number and I waited a good hour before I was served. I knew exactly what I wanted and I got in and got out. I called around and nobody had a 10/22 in stock so that's why I went to Cabela's. I noticed that they had a ton of pre-owned Glocks for sale. I guess a lot of people are trading in their Gen 3s for Gen 4s.

VERY rarely... and I mean "very"... In reality, the only way you will get a deal at Cabelas on a gun is if it's on sale, and you have a coupon or points to use. Occasionally there will be something decently priced, but it's not too often. I mostly just go out there to handle a gun, and then go somewhere else to buy it.
    X2 I'd rather support the local shops anyway.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aferr1973 View Post
    I was at Cabela's last Sunday mid morning and it was a total zoo. The gun counter was like a busy deli counter. I had to take a number and I waited a good hour before I was served. I knew exactly what I wanted and I got in and got out. I called around and nobody had a 10/22 in stock so that's why I went to Cabela's. I noticed that they had a ton of pre-owned Glocks for sale. I guess a lot of people are trading in their Gen 3s for Gen 4s.
    Too bad they are still selling them for $450 lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast