Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Info needed on rifling bits

Yep, pics or it didnt happen.

Im a 24yr Journeyman Toolmaker and can tell you your way over your head and fixin to get hurt or killed playing with barrel making.

Of you were making muzzle loaders Id say sure, have at it. Otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Rifling barrels is SERIOUS business. The tolerances have to be held really really tight. Sometimes you can hold them tight enough to shoot a particular load or bullet, but lots of times when you start trying to change things up, your consistency and accuracy goes all the heck. Even if you hold tight enough tolerances, sometimes you'll induce so much stress in the barrel, that it'll start walking around when it heats up. There's so much that goes into making a barrel, and pretty much unless you dedicate yourself to holding extreme tolerances and the art of barrel making, it's not worth your trouble.

Lots of times you can buy some "cheaper" barrels, and if you work hard at chambering them properly and your loads you can still have 1 MOA rifles or better. It's EXTREMELy difficult to basically drill a near perfectly straight hole through a barrel, especially one that is stress free. When you start trying to add rifling in there that holds a constant twist, or the twist increases slightly, and also has exacting dimensions on the depth of the lands and grooves. There's just so much to worry about, that most of the time it's not worth your time to try. To do it properly it takes the right machines, LOTS of practice, the right metal, and a way to stress relieve the barrels. Pretty much "do it yourselfers" and "do your own gunsmithing" people buy barrel blanks that are already rifled, and do the chambering and everything else on their own. The truth of the matter is that most professional gunsmiths buy barrel blanks made by the top manufacturers. It's just not worth their time and investment when they may not even be able to do it as good or any better than a top barrel maker. Just something to think about.
    Thank you Tomcat, you’ve always been a trusted source of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBOWOP View Post
    P89,might I ask,is this lathe for gun DRILLING,or gun RIFLING? A "gun drilling" lathe is simply a lathe made for for drilling long holes.It's not made for drilling gun barrels,[although it could be used for that purpose..]it's the name of a process.After drilling the bore in a barrel,there's another machine needed to pull the cherry through while it rotates at the rate of twist to make the rifling.I passed on a huge gun "drilling" lathe a few years ago,800 bucks,20 feet long..And useless unless I was lightening driveshafts for a submarine...
    It’s a Southbend gun drilling lathe. Neat looking thing worthy of its own conversation. Yes the thing is big & heavy, the beam is roughly 8’(I never measured) The cradle (for lack of correct term) adds about another 4’ to 6’…so yeah overall its 18’ to 20’.
    Oddly enough I have used it for making a driveshaft for my G-body Monte.(Ford 9”)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Yep, pics or it didnt happen.

Im a 24yr Journeyman Toolmaker and can tell you your way over your head and fixin to get hurt or killed playing with barrel making.
    Quote Originally Posted by P89
    We bent one barrel already but that was our dumb fault. After some research I realize I can buy a barrell made already for a couple hundred more than the cost of the bit...and save alot of headache.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...le_barrels.htm
    I already established my inability to make a barrel.
    I’ll get pics of that lathe, people into things mechanical things will think it’s neat.

P8classicEMmove9

(Luzerne County)

Well,as I said,if it's only a gun drilling lathe,don't worry about your capability,the lathe can't do the job,either,LOL!!!

Hey guys..I have a 36X14 South Bend Heavy Lathe,real monster.Any of you guys have experience with a South Bend? My last Lathe was a Rockwell,it had a gearbox that could cut SAE or Metric threads by just pulling levers.The 'Bend was used in a Metric bike shop.[Supposedly,the former owner used to make axles and such for Indian Larry's Guzzi choppers..] The gearbox is set up for Metric threading.There are two gears on the bottom hooked to the gearbox,and a double gear between the drive gear and the gear on the shaft driving the outer gear.To make it SAE,do I just have to remove the outside gear on the center double gear,and reset the center gear so it drives the inner gear on the screw/gearbox? I have a few .22 barrels I need to thread,don't particularly want to use my little 7x14 I have on my bench,LOL!!!
    Last edited by ROBOWOP; August 10th, 2010 at 10:10 PM.

(Bucks County)

On most machines it is a simple gear swap to go from Met to standard.

Does it have the quick change box?

(Luzerne County)

Played with it already,threaded the barrel for this..[see the story in"gunsmithing"]

it has a quick change box,but it's only inch threads.For Metric,it has an extra gear set added to the drive gears,and a new chart for which positions to use on the box..
    Last edited by ROBOWOP; August 15th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12