Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bohica 50BMG

(Butler County)

Default Bohica 50BMG

I just ordered my 24" Bohica 50BMG upper today. Should be here on Monday. an advice for a newb to the 50 world? I am going bear hunting in November and am planning on taking this with me, for self defense of course. Planning on using hornady amax since pretty much all the ammo i find is fmj and im pretty certain that isnt legal to hunt with. i would really only like to hear from people that have actually held a 50 in their hands. "overkill" and all of that i have already takin into consideration and am still taking it hunting.

the enjoyment i get out of hunting is seeing an animal and killing it. i dont like sitting around or tracking down an animal. but thats just me and thats another thread all together.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Bohica 50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post
    i dont like sitting around or tracking down an animal.
    Your last part of you post seems, well, retarded.
    You lost me here. Make up your mind. LOL

Are you planning on lugging the 50 around through the woods or posting up while others "drive" out a section of woods to you?
    I would not want to be a driver on that one.

I would not recommend the Amax as a hunting round either.
    Find some soft points and do it right, for the bear's sake.
    Hunting Shack makes a soft point.

I have no complaints with hunting with a 50BMG. I have shot a few deer with mine.
    But do it the right way. If you can throw down the cash for a 50, pay for the right ammo for the job.

(Lehigh County)

I just ordered my 24" Bohica 50BMG upper today. Should be here on Monday. an advice for a newb to the 50 world? I am going bear hunting in November and am planning on taking this with me, for self defense of course. Planning on using hornady amax since pretty much all the ammo i find is fmj and im pretty certain that isnt legal to hunt with. i would really only like to hear from people that have actually held a 50 in their hands. "overkill" and all of that i have already takin into consideration and am still taking it hunting.

the enjoyment i get out of hunting is seeing an animal and killing it. i dont like sitting around or tracking down an animal. but thats just me and thats another thread all together.
    according to your statement, you are not hunting, you are just killing. why don't you put it in perspective and say, me and some friends are going out killing today? first you say you are taking it for self defense, then you say you are taking it hunting (which you do not do, see above) i for one do not want to be anywhere near you and rifle, might mistake me and just shoot for the sake of killing.

Hmmm, well I can't say that I think this is the greatest idea, or even original, but whatever floats your boat. I don't know if you mean it a little bit as a joke when you say you want it for protection, and then mention using it to hunt with or what. I know that humor, mood, tone, etc get lost in written communication, so maybe I missed it. Either way, I wouldn't consider a .50 to be all that good for protection, too long to yank the bolt, eject the empty, single feed another, if you really did need a follow up shot. Not to mention that, it's kind of a pain in the butt with something that heavy to hit a moving target that may be rushing at you. That's the only way you might use it for "self defense", I guess.

You mention that you've taken into consideration "overkill", but I'm not really so sure that you have. Have you ever shot any living animals with very large projectiles that are moving at high velocity? I'm not talking about shooting an animal with a .243 or .308, but like a bullet that weighs 180 grains or more that moving over 3,000 fps? There's a couple of reasons that I ask. Have you ever even shot a white tail deer with a bullet meant to penetrate deeply with say a 300 winmag at 300 yards or less? Unless you hit the front shoulder, the bullet doesn't even have time to expand before it exits. If you just hit the ribs, or even if you hit the backside shoulder, the bullet is so heavy and moving so fast, it leaves about a .308 caliber hole. I've shot PLENTY of deer at 300 yards (and even further) with 180 grain Nosler Accubond bullets that were moving at least 2,900 fps at IMPACT (not muzzle), and they shoot clean through. Some people would worry about the over penetration, which is an issue and you must DEFINITELY know what is behind the target for a long ways. The other thing is that all you're doing is wasting poweder and K.E. If the bullet never has time to expand, and just shoots through the animal, it doesn't matter how large the bullet is, or how fast it's moving, it delivers only a fraction of the amount of kinetic energy that it has. If you can't put K.E. on/in a target, then it's not going to be an effective round.

Large heavy rounds are NOT very easy to upset and get to expand. A 750 grain bullet, even if it's designed to expand, may not expand all that well even if it hits the shoulder of a bear. The 750 grain A-max has an aluminum tip, so IF it hits something that is hard enough (not necessarily flesh at practical distances), it should expand. The problem is that it's so heavy and carrying so much velocity at practical distances, it most likely won't. Honestly, it just sounds like you think it "might be cool" to shoot an animal with a .50 BMG and see if you can get it to explode or how much damage it will do. There's a lot of aluminum in the tip of those A-max and they have a pretty thin jacket (I've cut them in half before), but I just don't know if they'll expand the way you need them to. I can almost guaruntee that if you don't hit some solid heavy bone, it's NOT going to expand. With how much K.E. they can carry, how far they richochet (it's well known to be well over 5 miles), and the fact that it may not do as good of a job as smaller calibers; I wouldn't take it. Those big heavy bullets carry so much kinetic energy that they CAN kill objects that are miles away after a ricochet. With "normal" hunting calibers, this is still a possibility, but not nearly as likely.

Honestly, I think you need to get over wanting to kill some animal with your .50 BMG, and take a more conventional caliber. Any of the .308 caliber MAGNUMS (.300 winmag, WSM, RUM, etc) should be able to do the job. If you want a little more punch than that, grab one of the .338 variants (.338 RUM, Lapau, etc) with good heavy expanding bullets. They shouldn't have any problems killing a bear, NONE. Because they WILL expand consistently and deliver more K.E. on target, they may actually work better than the .50 BMG that you intend on taking. You say you don't want to be tracking an animal, etc, and if you don't get much kinetic energy on target and only punch a .510" diameter hole in him; you may be in for LOTS of tracking. I've held and shot .50's, although I haven't used them on live game, for the exact reasons that I'm mentioning to you here. IF you were going to shoot an animal with a .50 BMG, I think the 750 grain A-max would have as good of a chance as any to expand. Either way, I would consider it shaky at best, and pretty unethical for that reason. It's not that it can't be done, but just one of those things that common sense dictates you probably shouldn't. I don't think you honestly understand how much kinetic energy a 750 grain bullet has, even after it's shot through a bear, and for how long of a distance it carries that energy. I will say it again, I think you're much better off with something like a .308 or .338 of the MAGNUM flavors. That's just my opinion, and YMMV.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; August 4th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.

(Butler County)

i was joking about self defense because the gun is 40 something inches OAL. we do say we are going killing, lol. i have a 308 and a couple 7mm mags and i have shot whitetail. a was hunting/killing with my good friend and he was using a 300 win mag with a heavy bullet(not sure exact numbers) and shot a deer in the neck at 250+yrds. i was using my 44 mag pistol and didnt feel i had a clean shot at that far when he has a 20x scope on the 300. the bullet expanded enough to tear a golf ball sized hole through it.

Im about as safe as you can been when it comes to killing animals. ive passed on a few targets because of the situation. so i dont just go and shoot off high caliber rounds for the sake of doing so.

i dont like to sit for hours on end and see nothing is what i meant with the last part of my rant. ill most likely be driving to my other killing buddies. i dont want to have to shoot something and then track it all over God's creation in hopes that i find it. i want to shoot something and it fall over dead. 1. because i hate seeing carcasses of unfound deer etc. and 2. because when i shoot something i want the walking i do to be to the animal and then to my truck.

if there is a better bullet than the a max for killing a bear im all for it since they are like 8 bucks a round from hornady.

(Armstrong County)

.....wow

I am guilty of it because i was the first to reply......but lets stop feeding the troll.
    Its just not going to make a difference.

(Butler County)

wow what. i cant take a 50 hunting? you are pretty funny. things like this are why younger people dont get into hunting. i dont have time to go scout an area for days or weeks at a time, i dont have time to go hunting more that maybe twice a deer season. i have to take off work to go bear hunting and probably will still only be able to go opening day.

i go to kill an animal. whats the differnece if you spend a month searching out somewhere to hunt, and you "harvest" a bear on the last hour of the last day and i walk through the woods on the first day and kill a bear. its dead. it keeps the population under control. i get meat i dont have to go to the store for. and i have a cool story of how i killed a bear with a 50. dead is dead. get a life, you arent the only person that can go hunting with a 50. you are worse than my liberal friends that dont think any one should even be allowed to own a gun.

i spend a lot of money on firearms and accessories and ammunition every year. i buy a hunting license every year. the thousands i, and others spend, is what keeps hunting going. douchebags like you are why people dont hunt.

if anyone wants to be helpful, that would be great. if you are going to tell me why i shouldnt hunt with a 50, atleast have some kind of real info like tomcat088. i am taking the 50 hunting either way. after reading what tomcat wrote, ill make sure i place my shot.

(Armstrong County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Listen fucktard, reading comprehension is your friend.
    Its the way you go about your dialog. I understand that a lot of people only have a few days to hunt. Im not saying your wrong by what you are doing. Be an ethical person/hunter and show the animal some respect and use the right tools for the job. The right ammo and well placed shots.
    I really dont give a flying fuck how much money you spend on guns and accessories every year. What does that proves if you cant use some common sense and be ethical about something that can reflect on the rest of the gun community and hunting.
    It just shows you have more money than brains.

I said i have taken a 50 hunting before. Im not against it by any means. I told you who makes hunting rounds for the 50BMG.
    I expressed my that the Amax should not used for hunting. I didnt go into depth like Tomcat did, and im glad he did.
    And you should make well placed shots regardless of what caliber of weapon you take.

I hunt as much as i can. Bow or gun, doesnt make a difference.
    It your life and your representation of the sport as "killing."
    Yes i go "killing." I take a week every year to MT, SD, or WY and shoot prairie dogs. That is killing. They are pest and vermin for ranchers and land owners.
    I go go to MT every other year on an archery Elk hunt.
    What am i trying to prove?
    I am passionate about the hunting sport. I work hard to be able to go on those trips. I practice all the time, bow or gun. I show the animal respect.

.......fuck it, im done, just wasting my time probably.

Mods:
    Give me an infraction, suspension, what ever. This is not the kind of people "we" need representing us as a gun community or as hunters/sportsman.
    At least i know its coming.

Nate

As the late Jackie Gleason used to say, "And away we go!" Since I have invested hard earned money in a .50 BMG rifle, I can certainly understand the OP's desire to extend it's usefulness by taking it "hunting", or "killing", or whatever name you wish to tag it with. Yes, they are certainly overpowered for any game here in North America, and even the world for that matter. But if you break it down to proportionate size, shooting, (exploding would be a more accurate term), a Prairie Dog with a .22-250 is more overkill than shooting a deer with a .50 BMG rifle.

It is hard to justify the purchase of a .50 BMG simply because it has such a limited, expensive use. Much the same as a ZR-1 Corvette, or a Dodge Viper. They won't get you to work or the supermarket any faster. Still, many like myself purchase them simply because we want, and enjoy owning and shooting them.

The problem with hunting deer, or other like animals with them is the lack of portability because of there size and weight. If you are fortunate enough to hunt from a large stand, and live where it is legal to feed, (bait), them, I would say go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about expanding bullets, and that sort of thing. If you are fortunate enough to drill a mule deer through the boiler room with a .50 BMG round, it isn't going to take long for it to hemorrhage out. And I'm sure the blood trail will be sufficient enough for you to follow. As far as over penetration, and safe backstops, that applies the same regardless of the round you are hunting with. If you are not 100% certain where your bullet is going to end up, don't take the shot. Bill T.

(Butler County)

my representation of the sport is killing. um...yeah, and you use politically correct terms like harvesting and whatever else. im on an open forum of other people that share the same interestest. if i cant be candid on here then where else can i be? when did you become an english professor and be able to critique my dialogue? why are you arguing with me about how i hunt or kill an animal. i already said i pass up shots frequently because im not 100% sure it will be a kill shot. maybe your reading comprehension is the one that needs some work.

more money than brains is a good one. ill have to let my wife know so that she can see that we have finally 'made it.'

where does all the hostility come from, i dont get it. you take a 50 hunting, you know how fun it is. im trying to get back into the sport of hunting and i bought what i consider an awesome gun and want to make the best of it.

i can go to any range around and shoot at targets and none of my money would go to support your sport you are passionate about.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast