Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bohica 50BMG

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Bohica 50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post
    having a gun and shooting a gun doesnt make me a big man. but being 6'1" and 250lbs probably does.(all said in fun for whoever cant take a joke, but seriously im 6'1" 250).

i think the objective of my thread has been lost. i AM taking a 50 bear hunting. i dont care what your opinion is about hunting or not hunting with a 50. i will be driving the woods with a few others to a few others sitting waiting for a bear. ITS A FREAKING BEAR. its not like im shooting a mouse.

telling me a 300ish sized gun will do the job, doesnt help me with 'what ammo should i use, what should i know about hunting with a 50 etc.'

ok here we go,
    im 6'1 245 so your not a "big" dude. plane and simple.
    this is PA where there is a hand full of 400+lb black bear taken a year, size not being the point.
    i don't bear hunt cuz i don't care for the taste too much, but i know from friends that do that a black bear with out cubs will run like hell away from a human,and at least a dozen of my friends have taken a bear (a real bear not a 150lb cub) most of them use a good old 30-06, hell 3 of them use 30-30's and take bear just fine.

to keep this on topic if you want to use a .50bmg go ahead but for the love of god and all things holy tell me what county you hunt so i can stay out of it.

you should look in to hunting a kodiak or grizz at 500+yards if you want to be a .50bmg hunter/killer.
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

I just came a cross this site on the 50 cal's and hunting black bears lol. But ok I don't live in Pa anymore (1 year and 3 month's was two long for me) and now back in Alaska so Flame me for not liking PA k

Now I have been hunting both black and brown bears for over 30 plus years now and I have never had to others drive one out into the opening for a shot, to me it was just learning the trails that they use on a daily habit and the times they use them. That and the bigger black bears that eat up high on the mountain sides start to come down at a certain time for a nice clean shot.

I use only a rem 338 mag or my rem 300 mag and most of the bears I had taken are less the 100 years at best and even that is over kill but I have been charged by a brown bear and dropped it 6 feet in front of me so I do use a larger cal rifle not just for bear but for moose hunting as well and like the heaver 250 grain bullet just for that reason

But come on a 50 cal on a black bear you really need to get real even a well place 22 will take down a polar bear as they have been doing for years up north with the dog teams distracting the bear for the shot in the ear killing it.

But it seems more like you are a drive by hunter that is too lazy to hit the trails and do your home work on the game you are hunting. since you say you are 6" 1 and 250 why not try packing out a 1000lbs of moose meat or a large brown bear hide around 200lbs out of the woods (oh that's right you don't like going to far from your truck packing out game) maybe the 50 will make it less meat to pack out wasting all the good parts of meat on a small black bear and more work for the taxidermy guy to get your rug LOL

Oldbearhunter

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    .....wow

I am guilty of it because i was the first to reply......but lets stop feeding the troll.
    Its just not going to make a difference.
    Agreed.

Cell Phone Booth manager? And he never stated why exactly he wanted to hunt bear? He obviously doesn't seem to be concerned with the quality of the meat, and yet said he hates when people kill just to kill and leave the carcass.

And lets be honest, at the distances which most in this thread generally agreed to be safe with a .50 against game are few and far between in PA. I'd bet most of those examples of long distance game shots were from out west.

(Perry County)

LOL, why would you name your company after an acronym that means Bend Over, Here It Comes Again?

Seems rather negative...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post

its like when i bought my hayabusa, 'who needs a bike that will go that fast..blah blah blah.'

Eh, don't get me started on them! I'd outstrip one of them on my 954 anyday .
    Then, that's a different forum!

(Butler County)

deth, i just got rid of my 954 recently...ill stick with the busa, haha.

i want to hunt a bear to hunt a bear. i want to us a 50 because i have one. i will be eating the meat from the bear. have you ever shot a squirrel with a 12ga?? i bet most have. what do you call that when half the squirrel is peppered with lead shot? what about rabbits i have shot with a 223 that tore it nearly in half at 100ish yrds? over kill?

im going with the 50 and if i get one with it, ill take pictures and show you what it looks like. if i dont get one, then it doesnt matter if i take a bazooka into the woods.

Here's a thought why not come up here to Kodiak Alaska and try hunting for a kodiak brown bear all you need to do is take a shot at a deer and the bears come running to the sound of the shot and see if you got the balls to face a 900lb plus brown bear at close range coming right at you or have you for dinner if you get a poor shot off and really piss him off lol

Every year ppl die up here from bears or badly mauled from them, just down from my place a friend of mine had his whole face ripped off by 3 young brown bears and is in the book (Alaska bear tells) good book on bear attacks here in Alaska

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234