Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Madsen M47 (now with range report)

A few weeks ago I decided to catalog and clean my father's gun collection, many of which I've never seen leave the safe. A few of them are military surplus and had some interesting marking which prompted me to look up some further information on each one. One particular rifle piqued my interest, but I couldn't find any information going just on the markings.

Fast Forward to today, I finally got around to digging deeper for some info. After some fancy googling I found out the rifle is a Madsen M47 made for the Columbian Military (which I figured since the rifle has a Columbian Armed Forced crest on the side) and it is chambered in 30-06, despite being labeled .30 caliber. I won't go into too much detail right now, but more info on the M47 can be found here.

This particular M47 is in really good shape, other than some dings and dents from storage. I'm not sure how many rounds have been through it, if any, since my father got it from his uncle and has never shot it himself. That may change soon though, as I'd love to take it to the range to test out.

Does anyone on here have an M47, or have any experience shooting one? Judging by what I've read they're fairly collectible, so I'm a little hesitant taking it to the range. I am curious to hear if anyone here has any other information on this rifle.

ETA: See post #4 for range report.
    Last edited by NShortino; August 8th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Madsen M47

I have one for about 20 years. Never got around to shooting it. Last time I check, my Madsen had the lowest serial number registered on the Madsen data base. I recalled paying $350.00 for the rifle, now M47's are going for around $500.00. I think Madsen's just turned 50 years old and are now C & R eligible.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.

(Elk County)

I'll second what PPSH41 said.

The are now C&R elligble, and the "going rate" on M47s that I see ranges between $450 and $600. The $600 rifle hasn't sold in four years. Most of them imported to the US have that medallion in the buttstock, but around 1200-1500 reportedly do not. The metal bits are painted in a black semi-gloss coating that tends to chip when struck.

There were two "groups" of M47 imported, one in the 60s prior to GCA 68 and these will not be import marked. The second "group" was imported in the late 80s/early 90s and these are import marked on the barrel.

The rubber butt pad takes the edge off of the 30-06 cartridge. I once owned one, and it was very accurate. I sold it because I didn't have the "ape arms" necessary to reach out there and manipulate the bolt with the rifle on my shoulder. The reach is pretty long on the Madsen.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Thanks for the input about the M47. After some more research into these guns I've yet to find any real complaints about the rifle.

I have one for about 20 years. Never got around to shooting it. Last time I check, my Madsen had the lowest serial number registered on the Madsen data base. I recalled paying $350.00 for the rifle, now M47's are going for around $500.00. I think Madsen's just turned 50 years old and are now C & R eligible.
    I found the database I think you are referring to, and my Madsen is actually the highest serial in the database, 6493-58.

The metal bits are painted in a black semi-gloss coating that tends to chip when struck.

There were two "groups" of M47 imported, one in the 60s prior to GCA 68 and these will not be import marked. The second "group" was imported in the late 80s/early 90s and these are import marked on the barrel.
    Some of the dings and dents I mentioned are from the paint chipped off on the end of the barrel, like you mentioned. I'm not sure which "group" mine is from. I don't see any import marks, but I don't know exactly what to look for.

You both mentioned that they are classified as C&R now, which I was aware of, but what does that mean for me? Does it just effect how it can be sold, or is there anything else special about it?

I got the chance to take this gun to the SGL range in Pike County on Friday. Shot it from the middle range (50 yards I think) and was surprised by the accuracy and power of the rifle. I've shot 30-06 before (and hunt with one) but the small size and light weight of the Madsen makes it all the more powerful. That being said, the recoil was absorbed really well by the butt pad and was manageable overall.

I don't often shoot open sights, and the type of sights on the Madsen were entirely new to me but very easy to use. It has simple adjustments for windage and elevation, but despite not being shot in over a decade I didn't need to play around with either. The elevation settings slide from 1-10 with 1 being spot on a 50 yards. I couldn't even guess what distance would require the 10 setting.

My only complaint with the Madsen is the lack of any contours or pad for your cheek. My cheek needs to sit right along the side of the rifle to see down the sights, which makes for some head jostling when shooting. Other than that the rifle fits nicely in my hands and shoulder, and the size and weight make it easy to hold for an extended period of time. Since I'm now considering using the M47 for hunting this is a definite bonus.

(Northampton County)

I've owned one since 1998 - got it at K.D. Smith Auctions in Allentown for $108 - it was mislabeled and didn't draw much attention. Didn't know what I had won until I did some research. This rifle has proven to be VERY accurate and shooter "friendly", at least to me. I've found the best accuracy with M-2 Ball - I once clipped off a thistle stem just beyond the 75 yard target - first two shots moved it a bit - third clipped it off at about 3/4" diameter. This was from a standing/unsupported position. I believe the sighting system* helps quite a bit as well as the deep rifling and reduced recoil with the butt pad and the muzzle break. Mine is in about 95% condition both metal and wood - doesn't have the disc - s/n is 3684-58 - so it's a later version. Bolt was a bit gritty when I first got it - I've shot less than 200 rounds through it - don't know how many down the tube before I bought it - but the bolt/action has smoothed a wee bit - trigger pull is crisp. Safety seems to be a modified Mauser type and is very handy and positive - spring loaded lever allows quick disengagement of the "flag" at rear of bolt.
    Pricing quoted above is also what I've seen. I bought an un-numbered bayonet for the rifle at one of the VF gun shows a few years back - paid $125 for the darn thing, but just had to have it. All-in-all - the Madsen is a very handy, accurate and user friendly milsurp rifle that crosses right over to a hunting or range piece. (IMHO)

* Hooded, adjustable height front post sight; windage and height adjustable by thumbwheel and slide, peep rear sight. The height/range adjustment on my rifle is marked from 1 to 9 - mine sighted right on at 100 yards when set at 1, with just one half turn up of the peep - this is also adjustable - didn't touch the front sight
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 10th, 2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added info
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I used to have one, but I got rid of it. It was a good rifle and accurate, but it just felt akward to me when I shot it. It just didn't fit me well. I was running out of room in the safe and I needed money to fund some other milsurp items so it went to a new home. I do regret selling it sometimes but I know it is in good hands with someone who will enjoy it. It is one of the more rare items out there and a lot of people have a blank look on their face when you mention it. Enjoy you madsen.