Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Question on load for .45, 230G, xtp h.p.

I'm looking for some input on loading 230g xtp h.p. for my 5" 1911. I'm looking at either 5g bullseye at 1.230 o.a.l with cci 300 primers or 6.5g unique at the same length and same primer. Any opinions on which one would give me better results? and why?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Question on load for .45, 230G, xtp h.p.

Quote Originally Posted by okinawanfighter View Post
    I'm looking for some input on loading 230g xtp h.p. for my 5" 1911. I'm looking at either 5g bullseye at 1.230 o.a.l with cci 300 primers or 6.5g unique at the same length and same primer. Any opinions on which one would give me better results? and why?
    If you are going to be using a JHP, obviously you are going to be in the market for higher velocity loads. Unique will produce the velocity out the muzzle the same as Bullseye. But, being slower than Bullseye, the recoil will be not as sharp and the "wear and tear" on firearm and shooter will be somewhat lessened. Think better follow-up, faster target reacquisition here. You might have a little more muzzle flash, but you probably won't be able to notice.

In a nutshell.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

Thanks flash. I'll go with the unique load, less wear and tear on the gun with the same end results is a no brainer. On a side note flash. Can you recommend any websites or books that would give me more advanced information on reloading, so I can make these types of decisions on my own. Just want to keep progressing in my reloading by understanding the use of different powders with different bullet weights with different calipers with different barrel lengths...etc...to produce a better end result. I was taught by an older guy who pretty much only used bullseye and unique so I kinda got stuck in that path. I want to keep an open mind.

I've been loading 230 gr XTP's with 5.8 gr of Universal for maybe 8-10 years & that's worked well for me.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawanfighter View Post
    Thanks flash. I'll go with the unique load, less wear and tear on the gun with the same end results is a no brainer. On a side note flash. Can you recommend any websites or books that would give me more advanced information on reloading, so I can make these types of decisions on my own. Just want to keep progressing in my reloading by understanding the use of different powders with different bullet weights with different calipers with different barrel lengths...etc...to produce a better end result. I was taught by an older guy who pretty much only used bullseye and unique so I kinda got stuck in that path. I want to keep an open mind.
    Books? My "Bible" is the Lyman Reloading handbook, now 49th edition. I have some from as far back as 1966, they differ on some stuff, but they are GOLDEN. Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading", "The ABC's of Relaoading" are what I consider the top three. Then come the various manufacturers of components (Speer, Hornady, Alliant, &c) who put out their own manuals, but they are generally oriented directly to the products they market. The first three cover the spectrum in a more or less "unbiased" fashion.

Websites abound, but you must be careful of whose advice and data you will rely on. Just because it is posted on the wed doesn't make it sound or sensible. But you've heard all THAT before.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Luzerne County)

I'm with Flash..I have the Lyman 47th,I always check it before I try a new load,even though I've developed hundreds of bullets over the years.New books give you "loads" the older books give you a little more,they treat reloading as a little more than"info".As far as a "good" load,they're all good as long as the gun works,and it shoots fairly accurate.I tend to go for a little more.I'm a serious reloader,so I have a lot of powders,or I check with friends to borrow something I'd like to try.When I develop a load,I go beyond "good".I shoot competition,and a lot of factors can affect your score,even the dumbest thing you wouldn't even think of.I shoot off a Ransom Rest for starters,over a cronograph.I evaluate for a bunch of things.
    1-recoil
    2-accuracy
    3-amount of powder used per shot
    4-how dirty does it make my gun
    5-velocity[important in competition..you need to make a power factor..]
    6-You''l never guess...amount of smoke produced!!!

In a combat situation,how much smoke your round makes is critical!!! Immagine being in a combat match on a dead calm day[or fighting for your life in a hallway..] and after five rounds,YOU CAN'T SEE anymore!!! I go as far as developing my own lubes to cut smoke..Now,that said,I see you're loading hollowpoints..I'm a top notch reloader,40+ years of experience,my guns work BETTER than 100%,my bullets are flawless,even with that much behind me,my carry guns use FACTORY AMMO.
    The scenario? I just killed some scumbag that was carjacking my neighbor..I'm in court...:"Mr. Robowop,when you shot Mr.[fill in the blank..] what kind of bullets did you use?".."I used my own loads".."Mr. Robowop,why would you make your own bullets?Weren't regular bullets good enough for you to kill my client???" "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,perhaps this sensless tragedy could have been avoided if Mr. Robowop used normal commercially available safer bullets,and not those LETHAL special bullets he made in the darkness of his cellar,and Mr.[fill in the blank] could be released tomorrow instead of being shot down by this crazed killer.." No thanks..
    Last edited by ROBOWOP; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:24 PM.