Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 or 4 die set for .45acp?

Just getting started in reloading .45acp and I've seen many die sets for sale,..mostly 3 in a set. Then there are the 4 die sets with a factory crimp die included for about $15 more. Question is,...do i really need a factory crimp and if so why isn't it always included?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: 3 or 4 die set for .45acp?

Is the FCD needed? No. However, it does make reloading a whole lot easier for a beginner. Your seating die will also crimp but that makes setup a bit more complicated. Using the FCD requires an additional step. I have been reloading for some years and I use one. I bought mine before Lee offered the 4 die set and paid extra for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron3865 View Post
    Just getting started in reloading .45acp and I've seen many die sets for sale,..mostly 3 in a set. Then there are the 4 die sets with a factory crimp die included for about $15 more. Question is,...do i really need a factory crimp and if so why isn't it always included?
    USNRET '61-'81

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ron3865 View Post
    I buy a factory crimp die for every caliber I load for. Spend the extra money for it. It's definitely better IMO to seat and crimp in separate steps. The Lee FCD does a great job crimping and will remove Glock bulges in most handgun calibers.

(Perry County)

The Lee 4 die sets are actually comparable to other manufacturers 3 die sts. I believe that the Factory Crimp Die is an excellent product that makes ammo more consistent and is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    The Lee 4 die sets are actually comparable to other manufacturers 3 die sts. I believe that the Factory Crimp Die is an excellent product that makes ammo more consistent and is a bargain.
    Thanks guys, for the quick replies! I think I'm going to take your advice and go with 4 dies.

(Northampton County)

I only use the FCD on my rifle rounds. It will only make your rounds more consistant if you want to use them on your pistol rounds.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

If you load for more than one gun the factory crimp die is very good. I use range brass for the 9mm's and without the FCD Glock brass will lock-up the Para everytime.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

With the three die set, you crimp with the seater die. This is accomplished with a shoulder in the die that turns the case mouth into the cannelure or crimp groove. This is a roll-crimp - desireable if you are shooting your .45 ACP out of a revolver only.

The fourth die in four die sets is a taper-crimp die (more precise name than "factory crimp" because it actually tells you what it does). This accomplishes a crimp by simply swaging the sides of the case (from the mouth rearward) into the bullet, without rolling the mouth. This is what you need if you are shooting your .45 ACP in an autoloader.

Theoretically, in an autoloader, the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth. If you use a roll crimp you change the OAL of the case and do not give the case a "square" edge to mate with the shoulder in the chamber.

.45 ACP's shot through a revolver use half-moon or full-moon clips which, in essence, makes these rimmed cartridges and they headspace on the clip.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

Get the Lee 4 die set. Only crimp enough to remove the bell from seating, no need to sqeeze the bullet with crimp. Check it with a case guage, or do a "plunk test" in your barrel. You'll be good to go. If you over crimp, you'll get setback from a loose fit. The brass relaxes a bit, the lead doesn't.
    Best of luck with your reloading!
    My Best, Walt

Thanks once again! I ordered a 4 die set the other day and buying some brass at the gun show this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast