Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mountain Bikes are not legal for hunting? WHY?

I was just doing my annual re reading of the state rules and I spy with my little eye a passage about Non motorized conveyance in State Game lands are prohibited that struck me as a "Why?" It is a synopsis but the gist of it is as follows:
    Prohibited Activities, riding a non motorized conveyance or animal while legally engaged in hunting trapping or fishing
    In the digest on page 18
    I do bow hunt by riding in (private property) with my stand on the back rack and the bow in a handlebar rack. Why is this not legal in state game lands? Some of the best hunting is a good distance from the parking lot and it makes getting there a lot easier if you have the stand and gear on the bike rather than your back, and if I am on a main trail for the first couple of miles and walk it back in to close to your scouted stand area What problems could this possibly cause? If I do get a deer its a two tripper, one for the deer, one for the gear. And does this apply to state parks on dual use trails
    Last edited by bigandy1966; August 3rd, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mountain Bikes are not legal for hunting? WHY?

I think this is the important line:

while legally engaged in hunting trapping or fishing
    While transporting your gear you are not legally engaged in hunting or trapping

its probably meant to keep people from chasing game down on horse back (or bike) and shooting them.

the same law applies to motorized vehicles like an ATV or Vehicle, you can't hunt in it but you can use it for transportation to and from your hunting location
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

There always seems to be some nut who chimes in with something completely idiotic.......

My turn.....

What about pogo sticks? legal or not?

I've always wanted to hunt with a flamethrower...on a pogo stick.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    There always seems to be some nut who chimes in with something completely idiotic.......

My turn.....

What about pogo sticks? legal or not?

who is that to?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

LOL flame throwers on pogo sticks, Really! How do you get a clean shot like that?
    And I kind of mis read that part, I guess if I am conveying my gear to my " legal hunting" area I am not in the actual act of hunting since the bow is in the rack without an arrow nocked. If there are any dissenting views...

BTW that worked for the American plains indigenous peoples on buffalo using bows and spears, but not on Mountain bikes
    Last edited by bigandy1966; August 3rd, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    LMAO!

Medium rare please.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I think this is the important line:

While transporting your gear you are not legally engaged in hunting or trapping

its probably meant to keep people from chasing game down on horse back (or bike) and shooting them.

the same law applies to motorized vehicles like an ATV or Vehicle, you can't hunt in it but you can use it for transportation to and from your hunting location
    I'm not so sure about this, Dredly.

First off, if he's in possession of a firearm or bow that meets the requirements of whatever season is in place AND while riding in to hang his stand, he's hunting.

Secondly, if he's just riding his bike w/ his stand and doesn't have a firearm and/or bow and isn't hunting but, it is during a regularly scheduled season, he's breaking game law. IIRC (and I'm too damn tired tonight to look it up) you aren't allowed to be recreating on SGLs during hunting season(s). The only thing allowed on SGL "in season" is hunting.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

The following quote is from the Title 58 Subchapter C § 135.41. State game lands. If you read it right, it says that Non-motorized vehicles are legal for hunters to ride... See Bold below.

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:

(1) Contaminate, pollute or degrade groundwaters or surface waters or any waterways.

(2) Graze or permit the grazing of livestock, place or maintain beehives or beekeeping apparatus.

(3) Solicit, or place advertisements, signs or posters.

(4) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal, except on roads normally open to public travel, or designated routes as posted, or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

(5) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal from the last Saturday in September until the third Saturday in January, and before 1 p.m. from the second Saturday in April through the last Saturday in May inclusive, except on Sundays or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I was just doing my annual re reading of the state rules and I spy with my little eye a passage about Non motorized conveyance in State Game lands are prohibited that struck me as a "Why?" page 18
    I think you misread it.

...the following activities are prohibited...:

Ride a non-motorized vehicle, conveyance or animal, except on
    roads normally open to public travel, or designated routes as
    posted, or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

Ride a non-motorized vehicle, conveyance or animal from the last
    Saturday in September until the third Saturday in January, and
    prior to one hour after close of lawful shooting hours for spring
    turkey season from the second Saturday in April through the last
    Saturday in May, inclusive, except on Sundays or while lawfully
    engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

• Ride a non-motorized vehicle, conveyance or animal on roads
    open to foot travel only.

A few years back, there were some serious erosion problems because the mountain bikers and horseback riders were going offroad. Thus the prohibition, but it is aimed at non-hunters going off road.

The way I read it, anyone can ride on an open road or designated trails but only hunters can ride elsewhere.

Also there is the restriction about when the non-hunters can ride and if I read it right, no one can ride on a road open to foot traffic only.

Dale

(Wayne County)

OK, so I paraphrased badly. I stand corrected.

Thanks for looking it up. Rep for the effort.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast