Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guess Ill be sending this ruger in...

Picked this up this past saturday...Im not sure how I missed these scratches and the rough finish on the muzzle...

http://gallery.me.com/glocke12#100370

The scratch is pretty deep, and looks like it goes into the bore.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Guess Ill be sending this ruger in...

looks like a machine end level mark....try buffing it out.....try some med metal polish with a drill andbuffing pad.

Default Re: Guess Ill be sending this ruger in...

Well, the scratch is pretty deep, deeper than it looks in the photo. I did think about trying to polish it with a dremel, but im afraid of causing damage to it...besides, this should be covered under warranty...

(Monroe County)

that is the way rugers are , they are not pretty.
    if you want a pretty gun buy a smith or a colt.
    and dont go looking for more scratches because you are going to find a lot more, just let it be.

If you bought a new vehicle and got home and noticed a huge gouge in the door, wouldn't you take it back to the dealer? Assuming you bought the gun at a shop, take it back and tell them you want another one. It seems to be more THEIR problem at this point in time instead of Ruger's. Let THEM hash it out with Ruger.
    Jules

(Centre County)

Both of my Ruger pistol's - MkIII SS in 4.75" and 6" barrel - muzzle look like that. Looked as if it was handled roughly at the factory.
    Yours does not look like its affecting the crown tho(Judging by the pics)

Don't affect accuracy, so I didn't bother with it.
    i mean its Ruger - Should have seen what it was like under the thick paint on my 10/22 reciever...
    1000Grid/1500Grid (And 2000grid, if you want the polished look) would take that right out.

remove the reciever(Barrel), Place sand paper on flat serface, press your barrel(Or reciever, this this case) perpendiculer to it, and lap it like as if your starting a fire with stick.
    few min of lapping would make that go away
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Im kind of surprised to hear that this is common for ruger. I have a ruger mark ii govt model that is perfect in terms of fit and finish, as well as a ruger redhawk. Both guns are over ten years old. The rough finish i can live with...the scratch...well, im pretty OCD about stuff like that. The gun was bought a cabelas, which has a strict no return policy, though I did talk to a manager and he said they might be able to be flexible on an exchange, but they would have to look at it.

I really have very little experience with metal finishing, (wood yes, not metal) so Im a little hesitant about going at this with sandpaper...

(Cumberland County)

I have heard from a couple of gunsmiths that over the last handful of years, the quality of Ruger products has gone downhill. Either they don't care, or they think the buyer doesn't care. At this point, they are riding on their reputation.

If this truly is the case, poor quality will catch up to them sooner than they think.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

That scratch looks bad. No new gun should have that.
    Counterpoint is that it looks so bad that you should not have bought it. If it was a new car they always walk you around and get you to look at it and make sure your happy with it. If you cruised back to the dealer with a scratch that bad after you took it home how are they to know what happened.
    If you bought that gun in bad light or under pressure you should make a firm stand.

Good Luck

(Northampton County)

If you have not fired it, I'd try taking it back to Cabela's first. They once exchanged a Ruger Mark lll for me, that they REALLY didn't have to do. If they can't help, call Ruger. In spite of what you may hear sometimes, I feel they have one of the best customer service programs in the business.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast