Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Are WASRS really THAT bad?

Seriously,

Everyone I talk to seem's to hate them, and I really don't know why. I do hear that the newer 2007 versions are much more revisied and renewed. Aside from the older WASRS, apparerently the new ones don't have canted front sights or gas blocks. Everyone tells me that WASR10s are extremely inaccurate with around 6-7 MOA at 100 Yards.

What's your experience?
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Are WASRS really THAT bad?

I have a WASR 10 and it shoots as well as my aging eyes allow for....lol

Only issue I have had is with the magazines. As the dimples in the reciver were NOT added by the factory, and 2 plates were spot welded in place in mine, Its a bit picky on some AK mags.

The plastic ones tend to wobble around in the mag well a bit. Other real AK steel mags are either a bit tight or flop around just a bit.

Just watch your mags and have fun shooting
    gotta love her ;)

(Monroe County)

i have a 10/63 and ive more than happy with it. accepts anymags and feeds any ammo so far. havent had it to a 100 yard range yet to test the accuracy, but its perfectly on at 30 yards.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Centre County)

My understanding is that WASR10's fit n'finish aren't the best - infact, its pretty bad.

But as far as go bang when trigger is pressed is just as reliable as any other more expensive AK's on the market.
    Because of their low street price, many considers them a "bottom of the barrel" when compared to Bulgarian/Yugoslavian variants, but these guns are still just as reliable and they are functional.
    I owuldn't expect AR like accuracy, but more then capable of hitting man sized target at distance(200~300yds I imagin?), and it is a .30caliber weapon with some energy behind it.
    And most I've seen comes with little gadgets, like bayonet, sling, and cleaning fits and such.
    These guns are still customizable, with hundreds of aftermarket stocks, optics(and many do comes with side-mount scope rail which is far better then upper cover mounted junk), and other accessories.

Now, some of the things to watch out for
    I have heard that older versions of these guns have a low degree of trigger slap, which is caused by the bolt slamming backward into the trigger assembly (causing discomfort to the trigger finger). Rifles sold/manufactured since mid to late 2007 have the Tapco G2 trigger group pre-installed, thus alleviating trigger slap. Tapco trigger equipped rifles will have "Tapco USA G2" stamped on the left side of the trigger itself.
    Factory-original rifles only came with single-stack, low-capacity magazines(Ghey as all hell looking too), but most thats sold by Century Arms are modded to accept double-stack, regular-capacity magazines. And I was told that converting them to accept double stack mags, should you already have sigle stack model, are pretty easy.

Most of these guns that I have seen have canted front sight blocks and gas tubes. some don't care, and some are bothered by it(like myself). It can be fixed fairly easily. There are several good how-to web site. I had to fix my PSL's front sight. Its not terribly hard(although, I did have Xringshooter do it for me).
    I have noticed that some of WSR's have updated front trunnion with added contact support for the bolt carrier which is nice.
    Some of then have the machining burrs on the magazine well causes some magazines to fit tightly(My Tantal had this. easy fix with file/dremel)
    There are GP WASR-10/63 rifles which are being made from demilled military rifles. Look for a triangle with arrow (some only have a triangle) on the front trunnion. Quality is much better with these i was told.
    Stay away from WASR-3(chambered in 5.56/.223). I was told that these have fairly known issues with jamming or failure to feed. Possibly due to low quality magazines they were suplied with, or design of their magazine followers. I have read in some AK forum that people have used Weiger mags with some success. Some switch the follower of the Romanian magazines with one from Robinson arms.

Hummmm... I now want one!
    Last edited by Mity2; August 2nd, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I recently bought a WASR 10/63 and it has run just fine.

My only problem with accuracy relates to the sights not being ideal, nothing to do with the gun. I have issues getting a sight picture quickly. I don't care enough to fix it, I'm leaving the thing as it came.

The only thing I'm considering doing to the gun is finishing the handguards, which were either never finished or just done very poorly. I have dumped a drum magazine through mine without issues.

I don't know crap about AKs, and after reading for 45 minutes didn't know anything new. As a result just ended up getting an inexpensive one, and am fine with my decision. If this was my only semi automatic rifle, though, I would have done more research and got a "quality" AK. As it was, I was in the market for a readily available AK and wasn't concerned so much as long as it went bang when I pulled the trigger.

(Allegheny County)

I liked mine. It wasn't pretty but it was cheap and reliable. Only complaint I had was how fast the hand guard got hot. It would get uncomfortable to shoot fairly quick. Other than that it did the job.

(Westmoreland County)

Are WASRS really THAT bad? No.

As has been mentioned previously, it may be difficult to get AR accuracy out of them. Mine will hit the chest of a man-sized target at 100 yards, which is all of the accuracy I need from this weapon. It will eat any ammo I feed it, and the Romanian magazines work great with it.

(Lehigh County)

No, they are not. I love mine, fun to shoot. All the people that tell you they are bad, ask them if they ever owned one. i always seems to me that the people with the biggest gripe and trash talk about them never actually owned one. i for one am happy with mine.

(Northumberland County)

WASR 10 isnt all that bad, it goes bang and hit what its aimed at, thats all that matters for SHTF. If you want something better opt for a VZ58 they are top of the line but $$$$, heres a nice one for sale- http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct764.aspx

(Lebanon County)

i have a bunch of the romanians, and 'am a bag fan of them.
    their biggest down fall is not being as pretty as the more expensive versions.
    i can hit a 12" circle at 100 yards offhand 25/30 times. i never had one not go bang, that was not an ammunition related issue.
    but they embody what the akm is all about: a foreign made, cheaply made, accurate, reliable rifle that will take as much abuse as it can dish out.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast