Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Just moved to Luzerne from Berks

Hey everyone - my name is Trent, just moved up here to Luzerne County, south of Mountain Top from Berks country. Wanted to introduce myself as well as get some info as to what's around to do.

1. I have my LTCF from Berks county - went to Luzerne Sherrif's website but didn't find anything much there - are they the right agency to be dealing with to get it updated? Any experiences dealing with them for LTCF?

2. Any gun clubs in the area? I like to shoot skeet/trap and pistol/rifle, I have a 13 yo son as well I am teaching proper safety and gun handling marksmanship and looking for a place to shoot besides the PA State GL ranges (seen too many stupid things happen at those places down in Berks/Chester county).

3. The previous owner has a bench and bullet trap on the property (we have 3.5 acres and surrounded by SGL. Is it legit to shoot on the property? I don't want to freak anyone out but he obviously used to do this at least sometimes - we're out in the sticks near Nescopeck.

4. Local Gun Shops? Would like to go shopping and maybe sell a few pieces over time.

Thanks, looking forward to talking with you guys!

-Trent

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Just moved to Luzerne from Berks

First of all Welcome to Luzerne..... I live in Hazleton so can maybe help you some...

To answer your questions....

#1 YES.. they are located in Wilkes-Barre... across from the Courthouse.... and very good to work with....

#2 I only shoot at the public range so I cant answer that one for you.. someone in the Wilkes-Barre area would be better on that one...

#3. I would check with the township re: requirements, restrictions etc....

#4. Being in Hazleton I have used Bobs Sporting Goods, and also Daves in the valley... Piestrak's Gun Shop in Nanticoke.... all are good.....

Hope this helped you some... but I am sure there will be others to give you more information on these matters....

Good luck... and enjoy

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tr3ntski View Post
    Hey everyone - my name is Trent, just moved up here to Luzerne County, south of Mountain Top from Berks country. Wanted to introduce myself as well as get some info as to what's around to do.

1. I have my LTCF from Berks county - went to Luzerne Sherrif's website but didn't find anything much there - are they the right agency to be dealing with to get it updated? Any experiences dealing with them for LTCF?

Right place. I had good dealings with them, with the previous sherriff so not sure about the new one, although I haven't heard anyone complain.

2. Any gun clubs in the area? I like to shoot skeet/trap and pistol/rifle, I have a 13 yo son as well I am teaching proper safety and gun handling marksmanship and looking for a place to shoot besides the PA State GL ranges (seen too many stupid things happen at those places down in Berks/Chester county).

I belong to a private range in Nescopeck, If you want pm me and we could work out a day and I would be glad to show you the place, even do a little shooting.

3. The previous owner has a bench and bullet trap on the property (we have 3.5 acres and surrounded by SGL. Is it legit to shoot on the property? I don't want to freak anyone out but he obviously used to do this at least sometimes - we're out in the sticks near Nescopeck.

Not sure, but your best bet is to check with the township.

4. Local Gun Shops? Would like to go shopping and maybe sell a few pieces over time.

Two that I use are Ed's in Tamaqua and Pietrack's in Nanticoke.
    www.piestraksgunshop.com.

Thanks, looking forward to talking with you guys!

-Trent
    And welcome to Luzerne county

(Monroe County)

it's a wee bit of a drive for you, but Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua is pretty cool.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Luzerne County)

And a trip to Advanced Arms is always a good idea.

Piestraks safe sale is in a few weeks.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Hello and welcome sir,

You can update your permit at the LCSO annex office located on Broad and Laurel Sts in the Broad St Exchange building. The Deputies are usually there during business hours.

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone - good information. Will head down to the LCSO.

The website for Advanced Arms appears to be down - where is that one located?

Once I get settled in will look to meet up and go shooting - the IDPA events locally sound like a lot of fun.

Later!

(Berks County)

Your Berks LTCF is valid until it expires (unless revoked). You do not need to get a new LTCF from Luzerne. You should call the Berks County sheriff and have them update the address they have on file for you.

If they need to contact you, you want to be able to receive anything they mail you.

Also, check out this thread (and the threads that it links to):

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...cf-moving.html

The important stuff:

Explanation of why you should inform the sheriff:

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Your license remains valid everywhere in PA, you don't need to replace it until it expires.

The UFA doesn't facially require that you notify either Sheriff of your new address, but there are several good reasons to do so:

If your license is revoked, they will send notice to your address. This gives you a 20-day window to challenge that revocation. If you don't tell them where you moved to, you lose that window, and you drive around with a revoked license.

When your license is about to expire, the sheriff will send a reminder to your listed address, 60 days in advance. It's helpful to get that reminder.

In a tense situation, such as after a self-defense shooting, you don't want to give the cops something to base an arrest on, such as inconsistency between your Driver's License and your License to Carry Firearms. Having sent a registered letter to the sheriff, you can tell the cops that the sheriff has your current info.

There's case law which holds that if the DA provides proof that you were not issued a LTCF by your county sheriff, then there's a presumption that nobody issued you one; you can rebut that, unless you lost your license, or it was seized when you were arrested and "lost" by the arresting officer.

I'd send a registered letter to your old sheriff, and maybe CC one to your new sheriff, stating that you have a license from the old county and you plan to renew it in the new county upon its expiration. Keep copies of the letter and the proof of delivery. Either that, or ask the new sheriff if you can replace your license; he'll probably tell you to just notify the old sheriff.

Your license to carry firearms is all that stands between you and a misdemeanor or felony conviction, it's cheap insurance to make sure it's beyond question.

I can think of 2 excellent reasons why it's in your own best interest to inform the sheriff of your move, and I can't think of a good reason not to inform him.

It's useful to be reminded of the imminent expiration.

Much more importantly, that license in your wallet is only as good as the sheriff says it is. A revoked license is no license at all. So if the sheriff gets a call from some department, asking him to revoke your LTCF because you carried openly at the ballet, or because your neighbor saw you loading up your trunk with guns, or for some more legitimate revocation reason, you NEED TO KNOW that it was revoked. Then you can challenge the revocation, and you won't be pulled over while carrying and be charged with a felony.

So, give me a detailed scenario where the sheriff having your current address would be bad for you, that balances the nightmare of you being charged with a felony?
    There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.
    This has been answered before, but it's a really good question and it doesn't hurt to spread the info around.

You have no legal obligation to tell the old or new Sheriff that you've moved, but it's very much in your interests to tell the old one.

If you are revoked, the Sheriff only has to send notice to the address he has for you. If you don't get it, because you moved and didn't tell anyone, you're still revoked, and your license is no good. So you not only are carrying and relying on a worthless piece of paper, but you will miss the 30 day window to appeal the revocation.

Send a certified letter to the old sheriff, provide your new address, keep a copy and the USPS return card. The license itself is still valid until the 5 years are up (or it's revoked).
    Last edited by anonymouse; August 3rd, 2010 at 11:44 AM.

(Monroe County)

As per state law you can shoot on your property as long as you obey the 500ft rule, that is atleast 500ft from the nearest occupied dwelling. of course local rules may differ , stop by your local county office and see what they say, also notify your neighbors if you have any that you shoot from time to time . and be reasonable , dont shoot too early in the mornings and late at nights and nobody wont bother you.
    ask me how i know.

?
    Nyman

(Berks County)

Very helpful, Anonymouse! Will send the change of address to Berks Sheriff and hold onto my LTCF from there as it expires in 2013.

Nyman - do you count your own house in the 500' rule? And how do you know this? (since you wanted me to ask!)

Thanks everyone, big help having a friendly helpful community of like minded gun owners to help navigate these things.

-Tr3ntski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast