Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .44 or .357>

Default .44 or .357>

I have been shooting guns for quite some time now, but i don't have a revolver. I am trying to decide between a .44 mag or a .357. This is not for home defense, just a round to target shoot with and possible hunt white tails or maybe bear. any suggestions and even some guns chambered in one of these rounds would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: .44 or .357>

a 44mag with full mags will very likely be the most powerful hand gun you have shot. the recoil can be very stout, though they can be loaded with 44specials. before purchasing one i suggest actually shooting one. hard to beat it for hunting, but can be a handful for plinking.
    *this is a hand loaders cartridge, the best and most affordable results come to those that reload it. i have fire breathing, deafening, wrist breaking(ok not quite that bad) loads and soft plinking loads.
    it's one of my favorite calibers.

the .357 is one of my other favorite calibers.
    in large frame pistols, even the hots loads are tamed just from the mass of the gun.
    *see above about reloading.

i must suggest smith & wesson pistols, just because.
    either the model 29 for 44mag or the model 27 or 28 for .357.
    both are large framed pistols availible in a few different barrel lengths.
    for hunting i would go with a 6" barrel.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Great, thank you very much, i have been looking at a S&W 29, but im just concerned abut the price, how much would i expet to pay for one in pretty good condition? i have also heard about a ruger super blackhawk, what are your thoughts on that?

(Lebanon County)

i'm too biased to give a fair answer on rugers vs. s&w.
    $800 would put you in the ball park for a decent m29.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Indiana County)

For hunting, I would go with the .44.
    I have personally taken more than a few whitetails with a .44 out of both a Super Blackhawk and a 629.
    The Super Blackhawk is more than adequate for hunting, but if funds allow, go with a Smith, with a decent action job, a Smith is the cats ass.

I prefer the 629 Classic DX to the 29 because of the stainless and the full underlug, but to each his own. And to add to the above posters, handloading is the best way to get the most out of a .44.
    IMO, the .357 is the bottom of the chain when considering a hunting round. I know that there are hundreds of thousands of them out there that are used for hunting, and that's fine, but if you can afford a .44 and the recoil does not bother you, a .44 is is more humane IMO as far as knockdown and is more suited to end the life of an animal more quickly than the .357.

EDIT to add:
    I would never choose to go out looking for a bear with a .357, a maxed out load in a .44 is the bottom of the barrel for that task, again, IMO.

(Erie County)

I have a 500 S&W 5 shot revolver that I picked up used for $825. This thing will bring down anything. Paying $70 for 20 rounds. I'm sure reloaders are way under that. Nicest revolver on the market in my honest opinion.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by a1nipper View Post
    I have a 500 S&W 5 shot revolver that I picked up used for $825. This thing will bring down anything. Paying $70 for 20 rounds. I'm sure reloaders are way under that. Nicest revolver on the market in my honest opinion.
    I don't know where you are buying your ammo, but you seriously need to shop around, more than a few places around here have had it for around $45.
    I just checked the Sportsmans guide, which is usually overpriced IMO and they list some for $39.

(Cambria County)

I love my S&W 686, it is super accurate and a blessing to shoot. But if you're going to hunt with your hangun, I would go for the 629. The .44Rem Mag is hard to beat. That's why I got my Winchester 1894 Trapper in .44mag. What can't you take in PA with a .44. Hog, Deer, bear, it's all good.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Try A Ruger!!

I have S&W 629 Classic, as well as 686+ in .357, and they are an excellent "hand cannon", but, I gotta say I love my Rugers.

I've got the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk, covering .357 and .44mag, and I think for blasting "coolness" I gotta lean towards the Rugers.

Single action yes, but I fire my Smiths single action all the time anyways.

Just something about that Dragoon trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk... it's just Badass!

You'll save a couple bucks with the Rugers over the Smiths.

.44 or .357, well, both are great loaded with magnum recipes, but each can be loaded to recoil like a 9mm too if you want to, so it's up to you.

Mine are long barrels, just my preference, and all are great shooters and alot of fun punchin' holes in paper or spinning targets.

Good luck choosing. Get both calibers and eliminate wondering which one's better.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: .44 or .357>

try the original hunting carterage....45lc there is a reason buffalo almost became extinct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast