Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Flat top AR / BUIS

Just picked up a new AR. Looking to go a different route than last time. I had a carry handle on optics on top. This time looking to go flat top with optics.

Looking for some pics and description of your favorite set ups. Not looking to break the bank.

all the AR15 guru's please go easy on me.
    Last edited by Pagoda240; July 31st, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Default Re: Flat top AR / BUIS and Optics

I still have iron sights on my AR with removable carry handle. Thinking of adding optics but want to make the right choice myself.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    Just picked up a new AR. Looking to go a different route than last time. I had a carry handle on optics on top. This time looking to go flat top with optics.

Looking for some pics and description of your favorite set ups. Not looking to break the bank.

all the AR15 guru's please go easy on me.

Those two don't go together.

I guess it all depends on what breaking the bank is to you. For $500 - $600 you can get an Aimpoint / Eotech with good BUIS too. Is that breaking the bank?

I don't like to cheap out on my optics with lousy china made knock offs - they are not up to par with what I want out of my gear. So, I wont try to suggest any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Those two don't go together.

I guess it all depends on what breaking the bank is to you. For $500 - $600 you can get an Aimpoint / Eotech with good BUIS too. Is that breaking the bank?

I don't like to cheap out on my optics with lousy china made knock offs - they are not up to par with what I want out of my gear. So, I wont try to suggest any of them.
    Sorry title is misleading, asking more about BUIS than optics.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Default Re: Flat top AR / BUIS

Do you have a front sight already? Or is it just a railed gas glock?
    LaRue Tactical, YHM, GG&G in descending order of awesomeness all make really great kit. Average price for most quality rear sights will be approx. $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    Do you have a front sight already? Or is it just a railed gas glock?
    LaRue Tactical, YHM, GG&G in descending order of awesomeness all make really great kit. Average price for most quality rear sights will be approx. $100.
    Front site is fixed . Will this change what rear sight works best ? thx will check those outs. What about optic mounts ? I guess i will have to get a mount that raises it just above the front sight.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Philadelphia County)

Front site is fixed . Will this change what rear sight works best ? thx will check those outs. What about optic mounts ? I guess i will have to get a mount that raises it just above the front sight.

My initial thought was to tell you to sell it and buy an AK !!! LOL

I am by no means an AR guru....I did pick my first one up a few months ago though. Stag Arms 20" barrel left handed, also has the detachable carry handle. I was also looking for something nice to put on the rail and a BUIS without breaking the bank as well.

I got a Bushnell Trophy red/green T-dot for IIRC around $100. It doesn't use scope rings instead it has it's own mounting bracket....works PERFECT IMHO. It cowitnesses with the front sight dead on so I didn't need an extension rail or scope mount which saves a few bucks.

I chose a Magpul BUIS to use on my AR, it flips and literally just fits with the Bushnell Trophy on there. It's perfect for what I need it for...in case my scope breaks or dies. I'm not sure how high others would rank the Magpul BUIS but I like it a lot and it does it's job just fine for me.

Again this is what worked for me, it may not be what your looking for and/or others may not like it or agree but it didn't break the bank, it shoots where I want it to and looks nice.

Just my $.02

Hope this helps, PS.
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; August 1st, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(York County)

Not really, but it means that you are stuck with the front sight post that you have. If you wish you change out the front sight post you will have to remove and install a new gas block assembly, which is not exceptionally hard, but requires time and labor. If you want to replace your gas block/front sight post assembly you can get a low profile gas block or railed gas block to replace it and then choose from whichever front sight fits your needs.

The best optics mount that I can recommend for a scope is the LaRue Tactical scope mounts made specifically for ARs. In my opinion they are the best thing you can mount to your flat top.

If you are not using a scope, you will probably not need a mount or base, unless you are planning on getting an older version of an Aimpoint (CompM2, etc.) that does not come with an integrated base. Most red-dots/holo sights come with their own mounting getup.

You may or may not want your optic "raised" above your front sights. You can co-witness your red dot through your iron sights, which is the preferred method in case your red dot goes down, you will not have to change the way you shoot. If you are using any magnification, it's usually not a problem because the front sight post will be blurred out and should not be visible through your scope. If for some reason your front sight post is too big or bulky and gets in your way through a red dot/holo sight, I recommend replacing the gas block and putting in a flip-up front sight post. The idea is that you shoot from the same position regardless of using irons or optics.

If you run a quick search on here you should find multiple threads on what the major recommended brands of BUIS are. Here are a few that come up most of the time:

Troy Industries
    Magpul MBUIS
    GG&G
    Matech
    KAC (Knight's Armament)
    LaRue Tactical
    Rock River Arms
    Daniel Defense
    Midwest Industries
    ARMS

Any built to spec rear sight will work with a standard AR front sight. You do not want or need a mount that raises the optic. You'll get a funky cheek weld if you do that and it may be detrimental to your accuracy. You won't even see the front sight anyway. Consider how the brain works. If your focus is beyond the front sight the mind has a way of removing it from your perception, I can't recall what the medical term for it is. Kinda like how you don't know your glasses are dusty/smudged until you take them off and look at them even though you just wore them for 8 hours.