Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Negative encounter with PPD this afternoon - schooled a Sgt. from the 39th

Items to OC:

Gun
    Holster - what type
    Video Camera
    Audio recording device
    Pencil

Some one to hold the gun while you activate the audio and video devices to protect your self from a possible harassment encounter.

Some one to hold the audio, video recording devices when you need to use your side arm to protect yourself.

So basically you need a mic boom guy, a camera man, and this way your hands are free to defend yourself in a life or death situation.

The above information was just a funny.. I only get to be funny once a month... the rest of the time is a long story build up without a punchline..

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Negative encounter with PPD this afternoon - schooled a Sgt. from the 39th

What is the point of educating yourself, recording the encounter, defending yourself during the illegal stop and then.............

doing nothing.

I understand it's a high stress situation, but you gotta stop saying Thank You Officer every 5 seconds... Give respect to get respect.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; August 1st, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
    [snip]it's what he plans to do because of it. [snip]one needs to be prepared to go all the way. [snip] but isn't willing to take it through the legal system.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    What is the point of [snip].............
    doing nothing.
    Not paying much attention, are we?

I understand it's a high stress situation, but you gotta stop saying Thank You Officer every 5 seconds... Give respect to get respect.
    When PPD1 asked me for my DL, and I handed it to him, he said "thank you." Respect is a two way street - I offered the olive branch back once the Sergeant started making a little more sense and handed me back my property. If you think there's something wrong with that...well, I disagree with you, friend.

(Chester County)

I think he should retain a lawyer. Isn't that what some of the fundraising here is about?

Which is why I suggested that perhaps he shouldn't open carry if he's going to initially defend his rights in an encounter, record the police with his device, but isn't willing to take it through the legal system. It depends also on what you mean by "this going anywhere in court." There are members of this forum who have gone to court and have won, as well as ones with pending court dates, and they weren't ostentatious about it. That's walking the walk.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he isn't willing to take it through the legal system, it's the fact that he simply can't afford to take it through the legal system. Ugh, I give up....

It's not what he should have done differently in the encounter, it's what he plans to do because of it. How he handled it is fine, but if one is going to be an activist versus an advocate, then one needs to be prepared to go all the way. Carrying an audio recorder and using it in police enounters, IMO, makes one an activist instead of an advocate, otherwise what's the point? I think he should retain a lawyer. Isn't that what some of the fundraising here is about?

Which is why I suggested that perhaps he shouldn't open carry if he's going to initially defend his rights in an encounter, record the police with his device, but isn't willing to take it through the legal system. It depends also on what you mean by "this going anywhere in court." There are members of this forum who have gone to court and have won, as well as ones with pending court dates, and they weren't ostentatious about it. That's walking the walk.
    Carrying an audio recorder does not automatically make one an activist - it is a prudent action in light of the tendency of some LEO's to make up charges. Having it for personal protection has been advocated on this site in many threads. I don't think it's fair to attach a burden to someone else based on how you think it should be handled. The OP has every right to OC simply because he can, and the right to tape the encounters for his own personal protection, simply because he can. Anything else he wishes to do is up to him.

As for walking the walk... it makes sense to push the issue when there is a good case of winning, not simply because you're pissed off or annoyed. I agree with filing a complaint, but more than that is like spitting in the wind, especially since the encounter ended with his possessions returned and the LEO admitting there was no law broken. There was no threat of further harrassment, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Items to OC:

Gun
    Holster - what type
    Video Camera
    Audio recording device
    Pencil

Some one to hold the gun while you activate the audio and video devices to protect your self from a possible harassment encounter.

Some one to hold the audio, video recording devices when you need to use your side arm to protect yourself.

So basically you need a mic boom guy, a camera man, and this way your hands are free to defend yourself in a life or death situation.

The above information was just a funny.. I only get to be funny once a month... the rest of the time is a long story build up without a punchline..
    Okay, I smiled. You've got a month to plan the next one.

What is the point of educating yourself, recording the encounter, defending yourself during the illegal stop and then.............

doing nothing.

Oh, good grief! If nothing else, it shows that he did NOTHING to instigate or aggravate the situation and will lend more strength to his complaint, should anyone review it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post

When PPD1 asked me for my DL, and I handed it to him, he said "thank you." Respect is a two way street - I offered the olive branch back once the Sergeant started making a little more sense and handed me back my property. If you think there's something wrong with that...well, I disagree with you, friend.
    I'd rep you again, but the darned thing is locked up!

On the contrary.

... I just said I wasn't pressing charges. I simply don't have the cash to pony up for a lawyer, and the return on this kind of lawsuit isn't such that I'd be able to work with a lawyer without a retainer.

[snip]I'd appreciate a little insight into how the process works for filing a complaint against a specific PPD LEO.
    It was my understanding that to file a complaint simply means to log an official grievance with the way someone in an official capacity behaved...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    I suppose what I'm not clear on now is whether you are certain you are filing a criminal complaint or a departmental complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    BTW, suing them, and filing a criminal complaint, are two very, very different things. Filing a complaint with the PPD about it's officer's actions will get you nowhere.
    To date, you have yet to clarify what you mean by "filing a complaint". Both MDJ and headcase aren't the only two who have questioned whether you mean a departmental complaint. For all we know you could just be planning on having another tete-a-tete with some superior. Especially since you stated your intent was to "log an official grievance with the way someone...behaved."

(Delaware County)

On the contrary.

To date, you have yet to clarify what you mean by "filing a complaint". Both MDJ and headcase aren't the only two who have questioned whether you mean a departmental complaint. For all we know you could just be planning on having another tete-a-tete with some superior. Especially since you stated your intent was to "log an official grievance with the way someone...behaved."
    +1 ...78910

(Delaware County)

To date, you have yet to clarify what you mean by "filing a complaint".
    ...Because the information I have been presented with, while helpful, is not entirely clear. I need to read through it, do some research, and make some phone calls to find out exactly what I need to fill out and who I need to file it with.

So please refrain from further instigatory behavior while the people who don't know much about this legal system we have try to get their bearings after their first harrowing, yet successful, experience with the PPD. Not everyone on this forum knows exactly what to do in every situation, like some people I know.

For shit's sake, I'm 24. I've been carrying since February.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; August 1st, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he isn't willing to take it through the legal system, it's the fact that he simply can't afford to take it through the legal system. Ugh, I give up....
    No matter how you want to slice it - unwilling or unable - the result is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    Carrying an audio recorder does not automatically make one an activist - it is a prudent action in light of the tendency of some LEO's to make up charges. Having it for personal protection has been advocated on this site in many threads. I don't think it's fair to attach a burden to someone else based on how you think it should be handled. The OP has every right to OC simply because he can, and the right to tape the encounters for his own personal protection, simply because he can. Anything else he wishes to do is up to him.
    You missed the point, I'm afraid. As you say, it is for personal protection.
    If you aren't going to use it in order to protect yourself, then it's worthless and hardly prudent. So how exactly is it protection if it's going to go unused?

Now, I did say that it is in my opinion a difference between an activist and an advocate, and I completely stand behind that. Carrying a pocket of fliers and going about your life and educating people when the issue comes up is advocacy. Making the decision to carry a recording device with the sole purpose of recording LEO encounters, making a log/blog/journal of encounters, etc., is more than advocacy. And of course he has a right to OC simply because he can. I haven't said he doesn't.

(Bucks County)

what time were you there? i was also riding on kelly drive, but i didnt oc because of the obvious.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast