Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XDM 3.8 or 4.5

Wink XDM 3.8 or 4.5

Yo yo yo. I want an XDm and I thought the 3.8 looks really cool over the 4.5. Anyone have a 3.8 and are satisfied its not the 4.5? Why did you go 3.8 instead? I honestly won't even be carrying it, I just think the 3.8 looks nicer and feels better though I haven't shot it yet. It just bothers me that they're both the same price. Shot the 4.5 and that was good. Feedbackzzz pleaze omgzzz.

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: XDM 3.8 or 4.5

In my personal opinion the 3.8 looks better because it looks more balanced and symmetrical. Not saying it's any better or worse, just what I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    In my personal opinion the 3.8 looks better because it looks more balanced and symmetrical. Not saying it's any better or worse, just what I prefer.
    Yeah I just felt that the 4.5 length was just too big for a 9mm which is the cal. I'd get it in. I just wish Springfield would lower the price since it's just a shorter version of a gun already made.

(Butler County)

I got the 3.8 about 3 weeks ago. For my size (29" waist) the 4.5 was wider then me. The 3.8 is far more comfortable for me and I'm impressed with it after 200 rounds. The first time I took it to the range the guy on the lane beside me commented how accurate I was for shooting a new gun for the first time. At this point I would have no problem recommending the 3.8

If you are not carrying it then I don't see the advantage. I have the XDM 40 and I like it, but I need to shoot it more before I decide whether I like it better than my HK USP 40. I will probably get a chance to shoot both tomorrow. I will take the extra barrel, velocity and accuracy.

And for those of you who are concerned because the two sizes are priced the same; that is the way it always is with pistols. It is not that they are saving a bunch of money by using less material. The machining and manufacturing process take about the same amount of time and resources regardless of the barrel length.

The difference between these two will be minimal. If you're not going to carry it, the 4.5 is the way to go.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Allegheny County)

Barrel length is less critical for carrying than the grip size is.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lehigh County)

I have also been contemplating buying an XDm in 40 caliber. The trigger is a much better reach than my Glock although I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. There was an article in the June issue of American Rifleman about them and they say the 3.8 has a snappier recoil than a 4.5 because of the nested recoil springs which are needed for the shorter slide travel. Since I'm looking for an open carry gun the extra barrel length doesn't matter to me. I'll probably get the 4.5.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Freemen View Post
    Yo yo yo. I want an XDm and I thought the 3.8 looks really cool over the 4.5. Anyone have a 3.8 and are satisfied its not the 4.5? Why did you go 3.8 instead? I honestly won't even be carrying it, I just think the 3.8 looks nicer and feels better though I haven't shot it yet. It just bothers me that they're both the same price. Shot the 4.5 and that was good. Feedbackzzz pleaze omgzzz.

Thanks.
    excuse this unintended post
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 30th, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Monroe County)

Don't purchase a gun the "looks" better unless your a gangbanger and want to look cool on the 6PM news when they show the surveillance video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast