Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: To All You Permit Nazis - LTCF=License=Permit

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Secondly, just because it says License To Carry Firearms, does not mean it is not also a permit.
    So what you're saying is that the PA drivers permit my son just got is also a PA drivers license? It appears there must be some difference between the two.
    Whatever the case may be, I just wanted to let you know it is correct to refer to a LTCF as a permit or a license.
    Main Entry: per·mit
    Pronunciation: \ˈpər-ˌmit, pər-ˈ\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1682

1 : a written warrant or license granted by one having authority <a gun permit>
    Is that the PA legal definition?
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

I was under the impression that "permits" allowed you to do something that is normally not legal. So in an anti-gun state, they issue "permits." In Pennsylvania and other shall-issue states, since you have to actually do something illegal to lose your right to carry, they issue a "license."

I'm sure some states vary in nomenclature, but that was my understanding of the difference between the two terms.

(Westmoreland County)

Well,,,,IMHO....if this is what you have to "bark" about in your life......then things must be pretty good.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    TITLE 18
    PA CRIMES CODES

§6109. Licenses.

<SNIP>

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. (my emphasis!)

Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid.

An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

Good one, I never saw this before.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Well,,,,IMHO....if this is what you have to "bark" about in your life......then things must be pretty good.

Dave
    I care just enough to post about it. Do you say this to every post you have contention for?

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    I was under the impression that "permits" allowed you to do something that is normally not legal. So in an anti-gun state, they issue "permits." In Pennsylvania and other shall-issue states, since you have to actually do something illegal to lose your right to carry, they issue a "license."

I'm sure some states vary in nomenclature, but that was my understanding of the difference between the two terms.
    Do you need a permit to add an addition on to your house? While it might be illegal to add an addition onto your house without the proper permit, so is driving without a license.

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    So what you're saying is that the PA drivers permit my son just got is also a PA drivers license? It appears there must be some difference between the two.
    Is that the PA legal definition?
    Legal definitions are applicable in the courts. Common definitions are applicable in common language. Unless the usage of permit is used in a court setting, the legal definition is not necessary. However, for all I know, there may be no distinction between a permit and a license according to the PA legal definition either.

Edit - It's actually called a learners permit, not a drivers permit, so it's obviously not a standard PA drivers license.
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/dl-180.pdf
    Last edited by Kratos; July 29th, 2010 at 01:56 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Under's PA's law, our LTCF has NO official name or title, it is only referred to as a "license to carry a firearm".

LTCF is technically just as incorrect as calling it a CWP. And had the General Assembly called it a "permit", this argument would still be going on. ...and guess what, the General Assembly does refer to being "permitted" or something of the like in other sections of law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Do you need a permit to add an addition on to your house? While it might be illegal to add an addition onto your house without the proper permit, so is driving without a license.
    Driving is an activity which upon reaching the appropriate age you can acquire a license, unless you do something illegal (DUIs, etc) to get your license revoked. A cop pulling you over just to make sure you're licensed is not legal.

I don't know about permits to make home improvements as I've never been through the process. I do know it's tedious and you have to get a permit for each project, which may be why the term is applied. Also, an inspector can drop by and make sure you have the appropriate permits just because he sees work being done, I believe.

By no means am I fundamentally disagreeing with your post, at least where you talk about jumping down peoples' throats over what term they use. A friendly reminder doesn't hurt, though.

(Montgomery County)

Edit - It's actually called a learners permit, not a drivers permit, so it's obviously not a standard PA drivers license.
    So why is it not called a learners license?
    What would be the common reaction if you heard, "My son just got his learners licence"? Most people would say, "You mean learners permit?"
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast