Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Pistol Caliber Carbines (Kel-Tec VS. Beretta)

Not too long ago I had a Beretta CX4 Storm in .40S&W caliber. I sold it to our buddy here Pennsyplinker. That thing was a terrific carbine that was very accurate for what it was. I got out of .40s and narrowed all of my semis down to 9mm, that's why I sold it. Now I have the carine itch again however I am trying to convince my self I don't have to spend the cash for a Beretta CX4 Storm again even thoug hI know they are great firearms.
    So what I would like to know is, are the Kel-Tec Sub 2000s in 9mm (the glock mag guns) as accurate as the Beretta CX4s??? I have never fired the Sub2000 so I know nothing. If anyone here owns both to compare or has handled both and fired them recently could you please give me a little rundown and try to sway me either way?
    I know I love the Beretta CX4, I would just like to hear whether the Sub2000 can hang with it or not.

Thanks

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Pistol Caliber Carbines (Kel-Tec VS. Beretta)

I'd love a Beretta, if you have the cash I'd say go back to it. I've read a lot of reviews on the Kel-Tec and it seems to be pretty much right where you'd put it. Better than a Hi-Point but not as nice as the Beretta. I was worried about durability but after talking to several owners they said it is plenty durable.

Still, it won't be as nice as the Beretta. There are are other options, Ruger and Marlin if you can find them. I actually have a Ruger PC9 9mm carbine I have posted in the For Sale section if interested.

(Allegheny County)

Or snag one of the Sterling MK6 carbines. You shoot it - you'll want it.

Just saying.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Centre County)

I've never shot the CX4 but have wanted one since they came out. The S2k is very hard to find, but CDNN had a few the last time I checked. I've had a S2K in .40 for about a year or more and it had a lot of FTE's in the first 100 or so rounds but now runs like a top. They are very simplistic and almost crude, but very accurate within 50 or so yards (I shoot mine 25 yards or less, usually). I couldn't swallow the CX4's price (double the S2K) but it looks like the better made gun. So ask yourself- what do you really want?-- an ugly stick that shoots well and folds up into your backpack or a rather georgous pistol carbine with lower cap mags and a little more aftermarket support. I chose the stick......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Chester County)

The Ruger PC-9 is a terrific carbine -- fun and cheap to shoot. They are available on Gunbroker for about $600. They use Ruger P-series magazines, so your pistols and carbine can share the same magazines!

There's one for sale here: http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/10...ine-330-a.html
    Last edited by carbine-13; July 29th, 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Given the option of Beretta or the Keltec I would grab the Beretta.
    The big difference being $3-400 the smaller difference your history with the 40.
    You could of course buy two Keltec's for the price of one Beretta.

Since I have a Glock (free mags) and don't have $700 I would choose the Keltec. I like the idea of being able to carrying it in a back pack along side my pistol. The life time warranty doesn't hurt either.
    It takes the 33 round Glock mags as well.

With the money saved you can add the quad rail and other toys made for it.

Now if I could find a CX4 for $300 used I might change my mind.

The Keltec is great for the price. Also, it's a great reason to go buy a Glock if you don't already have one. Having shot both the CX4 (.40) and the Keltec (9mm), I think the Beretta is more comfortable and feels the best in hand however they're both great shooters. Not to mention the Sub2000 folds up, how cool is that?

(Pike County)

I can not comment on the Beretta, but I love my little Sub2000. It is on target at short ranges (I have never tried it at greater than 50 yards), and runs well with good mags. Just watch out for el cheapo aftermarket mags, they will cause problems.

(Allegheny County)

I'm actually looking to get rid of my Beretta Px4 Storm pistol. The only thing that makes me reluctant is that I'd love to get the Cx4 Storm carbine some day that accepts the same mags, and then be able to have a setup with complete mag interchangeability.

Now if someone would just make a carbine that takes M&P or XD mags...
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Delaware County)

I still have not decided yet. I have the oppurtunity to purchase both of them new. However as stated above there is a huge difference in price. The S2K would work out to about $370 out the door and the CX4 would work out to be just under $750.

Main reasons I am considering the S2K:

- Price (@ under $400 that leaves a lot of money for G18 mags and ammo)

- The fact the hi-caps are easily accessable

Main reasons I am considering the CX4:

- I had one already in .40 and it was quite accurate even at 100 yards. I am talking sub 6" groups with no optic.

- I was very happy with the quality and accuracy of my last CX4 and I just plain old like Berettas. I would hate to buy the Kel-Tec and end up dissappointed.

**Maybe I will just buy the Kel-Tec and run it for a little while, you know like a test drive. If it doesn't work out I will just sell it to one of you guys for a loss. Money lost will be like paying a rental fee of sorts. In the mean time I can search for a deal on a CX4 b/c I am pretty sure I want one again either way.**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast