Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone reload shotgun slugs?

I am gradually getting into reloading more and more, and don't know much yet, but am learning as I go. I have reloaded my own shotshells for a 16 gauge for several years now, and last year started reloading my own rifle ammo. But what about shotgun slugs? Am I just ignorant; is that a stupid question, or does anyone out there reload them? If so, what kind of equipment do you need, and who makes it? Does it take a special press or something? If it's even possible to do so, I want to get into reloading them for a 12 gauge. I have not found very much info about this at all yet, and I'm wondering if this is not popular, or not safe, or not cheap, or what. If slug reloading IS done by anyone, where did you find load data? And what about accessories? I mean, does it take a special wad and/or what about sabbots? What about finding the slugs/projectiles themselves - do bullet manufacturers make them? What about powder; does it take a special kind? Where do I find all this stuff?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone reload shotgun slugs?

I've never reloaded any but Lee makes molds to cast shotgun slugs...supposedly you reload them with a normal wad and a folded crimp, just like a regular shotshell.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Is that for rifled slugs? Or are you talking about a special wad that acts as a sabot?

(Allegheny County)

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...w.html#shotgun

Looks like you just use a standard wad...you're out of luck if you want to load 16 ga though.....looks like they only make molds for 12 ga.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Do you know of anyone that manufactures a copper jacketed slug? I know they come in some factory slugs, like I think Federal uses a copper slug in their sabots, but I'm not sure where it comes from. I don't know if that is a pistol bullet or what, and, whatever it is, I don't know if it's available for reloaders.

No, I wasn't planning to reload for the 16 gauge. That gun is too old and worn out to handle slugs. The action pops open when it's fired.

(Lawrence County)

Most manufacturers use a regular .50 cal muzzle loader bullet and wrap it in a sabot sleeve...
    I like guns... And boobs...

Hey thanks man! That's exactly some of the info I'm looking for. That's one of the things I was sort of suspecting, but not sure of. But now it leads me to another question. Is there any place that I could find to buy sabot sleeves to fit around muzzleloader slugs, or is that something that the ammo manufacturers develop themselves and use only in their factory loads? If you or anyone knows where I could find a place that retails those sabot sleeves, I'd be really really grateful to know. Thanks again for the info so far.