Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Erie County CCW Application Form

So a bit of an update post influx of applications. I went in today for the first time to get the LTCF, brought in the form all filled in and signed. Sheriff Merski was in the area told me Steelers fans were free today. Like the man already I thought.

Anyway onto the actual process, dropped my $20 down went back saw the clerk he entered the information told me 2 to 3 weeks to receive it in the mail. Ok by me given the nature of the world we live in. Get ready to get on the elevator and Sheriff Merski with of a couple of his deputies also get on for the ride down.

Anyway he asks what I was told for time frame told him 2 to 3 weeks, he chuckles and say try 3 to 5 days. Sounds like they're well caught up and honestly can handle a quick turn around from the 80 to 90 a day they had been getting from election time through Sandy Hook.

So anyone who had been waiting, fill out your paperwork get your 20 bucks and get to the 4th floor.

Ohio resident here with a state of ohio CCW license. looking into getting the PA license due to alot of travel thru the state. Ex moved my kids to Pottsville PA. What are the requirements? do i have to go in person to get a PA license, or can i mail in everything? and what is the cost associated for a nonresident?

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Ohio resident here with a state of ohio CCW license. looking into getting the PA license due to alot of travel thru the state. Ex moved my kids to Pottsville PA. What are the requirements? do i have to go in person to get a PA license, or can i mail in everything? and what is the cost associated for a nonresident?
    In person only. Bring your money, ID and permit from your state of residence. They will mail it back to you generally (your PA permit) but you MUST apply in person.

Check out the Sheriff's Office you are going to online and by calling first. NOT ALL are non-resident friendly. Erie is. So is Centre for sure, Sheriff Danny Nau is outstanding.

I am presently resident in Toronto but will be changing that to FL soon enough. PA State Police will NOT permit me to submit a CPIC check (same as NICS) directly from RCMP, nor will they put me through the PA state system (PICS?). PA does not use NICS so having all the permits in the world from other states will mean nothing, except for that permit from your home state, should they ask.

Good luck. Sheriff Nau's office is like greased lightening with apps and I hear nothing but good things about Erie. We are going to be taking a trip stateside this summer and my permits from other states cover me in PA, but would like to have the PA permit nonetheless. Once we close on our property in FL will become a US resident again and get the FL resident permit as well as PA non-resident. We travel so much it is "the more the merrier" until a National Reciprocity Act is passed that will protect us everywhere.

NY has gotten so bad that even with permits from several other states and from Canada (i.e. I am legal where I start and end my journey) I gather that NY state is nail biting territory as you are likely to be charged/arrested despite FOPA.

Be sure you know the LATEST laws and procedures in every state you will be travelling through and that you have either a lockable TRUNK or TWO safes in the back of your SUV, one for the gun, the other for the EMPTY mags and ammo. That's what we do. TWO safes in the back of each SUV. Harbour Freight $50 for a decent one (get the one with rubber buttons if you can, the plastic keypads break with luggage in the back).

Safe travels or as Sheriff Nau says "Happy Trails".

Is this application good for Ohio residents as well, or is there a non-resident application?

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett513 View Post
    Is this application good for Ohio residents as well, or is there a non-resident application?
    The applications are the same for res or non-res.

Quote Originally Posted by V65Magnafan
    I'm a US Citizen with a Canadian wife. I'm residing in Canada at the moment.
    It's amazing what love will do to people.

We'll be moving south as soon as she retires.

Thanks for the info. The more permits the merrier!

So, although I'll probably never be in Philadelphia, is that place the only Class 1 city?

Carrying in Pittsburgh, f'rinstance, is OK?

Thanks for any help.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Erie County)

here's the updated county website: https://www.eriecountypa.gov/county-.../firearms.aspx

Here is an updated form....all the way in 2024. You DO NOT need to list references any longer.

https://eriecountypa.gov/wp-content/...ECLTC10_08.pdf

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Here is an updated form....all the way in 2024. You DO NOT need to list references any longer.

https://eriecountypa.gov/wp-content/...ECLTC10_08.pdf
    And yet, they are still asked for on the form. When I renewed last year, I was told to fill them in.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    And yet, they are still asked for on the form. When I renewed last year, I was told to fill them in.

Although not related to Erie, I renewed last year, online/electronically, for York County.
    And the place for references was there, and the form would not let me submit unless
    all sections that were required were filled out. References required.
    I could see no alternative. They have never been checked or contacted in the past and
    they were not check in 2023, but the method needs to be addressed one way or the other.

EDIT / UPDATE:
    I just checked the York County Sheriff's web site for LTCF application and the instructions
    do mention the alternative to print and mail an application. I did this on previous renewal
    and left the references blank, it was not an issue andin a couple days I received notice
    to pick up my LTCF in person.
    I still say the online form should be updated.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; February 7th, 2024 at 09:56 AM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast