Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accurate #2

(Susquehanna County)

Default Accurate #2

So I finally got to the test some .45 ACP loads using Accurate #2 powder. The details and results are all contained in the attached pdf.

But I have to admit to being disappointed on several levels:
    1. Results seem very inconsistent. Wide variation in velocities for each powder carge weight.

2. No loads would give velocity high enough or consistent enough to qualify for IDPA 165,000 power floor. (Power floor is bullet weight X velocity and two out of three tested cartridges must make the pf. For 200 gr. bullet this means 825 fps).

3. Accuracy was terrible to say the least. Test loads were fired fully supported from the bench at 25 yards. Shots were found to be widely scattered in a roughly 18" area.

So aside from "Don't use A#2 powder", does anyone have an analysis or suggestion?
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Accurate #2

Persoanlly, I am fond of AA #9 in my 41 and 357 mags. I have not tried the faster powders but I suspect that #2 is a bit too fast for what you are looking to accomplish. I would use #2 in target loads in the 45ACP and 38 Special. For your use and particularly since you are trying to make major power, I would suggest #5 or even #7. They give better topend velocities in the 45 ACP and would fill the case better too.
    The Lord Bless You

I like Accurate #5 loads everything from 9mm -38spl/357magl to 40 cal - 45acp. far more versatile then #2.

(Westmoreland County)

I used to use Scot 453 powder in my .45. This is a surplus version of AA#2. I had no problems with making major, but I was pushing a 230 gr. out of a 5" barrel. I've switched to RedDot since my supply of Scots is dried up.
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I like Accurate #5 loads everything from 9mm -38spl/357magl to 40 cal - 45acp. far more versatile then #2.
    I've been using A#5 for my .38 Spec loads. 5.5 grs. meets IDPA power floor handily. But, A#5 seemed a little too hot for .45 ACP especially with Accurate's data showing 902 fps for the starting load!

But if their data is 100 fps too high because they report based on pressure fixture velocities it might be a good choice as long as it is consistent and yields acceptably accurate loads.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I've been using A#5 for my .38 Spec loads. 5.5 grs. meets IDPA power floor handily. But, A#5 seemed a little too hot for .45 ACP especially with Accurate's data showing 902 fps for the starting load!

But if their data is 100 fps too high because they report based on pressure fixture velocities it might be a good choice as long as it is consistent and yields acceptably accurate loads.
    I love Accurate #5, although I have not used it in the 45ACP. Unique is still my standard for that one. 7.4 grains under a 225 Cast LRN just about equals factory power and recoil for me.

Acc. #5 is my favorite for the 9mm - 115 FMJ at 6.7gr. ( Av 1171 fps, E.S. 36.85, S.D. 11.61)

I'm currently experimenting with Titegroup, which shows good promise at 4.8 gr. in the 9mm (Av 1205, E.S. 36.02, S.D. 12.2), - - -
    - - - but using it for 38.SPL, 3.1 gr is hard to see in the bottom of that case.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Accurate Solo 1000 is my fav .45acp powder. It's just soooo clean and I like the recoil impulse.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Acc. #5 is my favorite .... snipped

Flash
    Well, I loaded up some test loads of A#5 and Titegroup. I will post the results here once I've conducted the tests.

I'm not covering the whole range for both of these powders for A#5 I'm only going from 7.8 grs. to 8.2 grs. and Titegroup is from 4.8grs. to 5.2grs. Both are loaded with 200 gr. LRNFP, and capped with Federal Large Pistol primers.

My goals are to find the most accurate load and the most accurate load that meets the IDPA power floor requirement.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Well, I loaded up some test loads of A#5 and Titegroup. I will post the results here once I've conducted the tests.

I'm not covering the whole range for both of these powders for A#5 I'm only going from 7.8 grs. to 8.2 grs. and Titegroup is from 4.8grs. to 5.2grs. Both are loaded with 200 gr. LRNFP, and capped with Federal Large Pistol primers.

My goals are to find the most accurate load and the most accurate load that meets the IDPA power floor requirement.
    Keep us posted on the results of that. Thanks.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

I got 5 pounds of Accurate #2 for $50 bucks at a local dealer. I've been using it in my glock 19 w/ 115 grain Montana Gold bullets and its pretty accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast