Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Open carry employment search?

Just wondering if anyone has OC'd while dropping off résumés, or having an interview, etc.? I'm specifically referring to jobs where you would be subject to someone else's code of conduct were you hired, not self-employed or independent contractor type jobs.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Default Re: Open carry employment search?

Unless you're applying at a gun shop, I'd call this a spectacularly bad idea.

(Allegheny County)

I see nothing bad about this at all. The worst that can happen is that you won't get hired. Also in my experience, when dropping off a resume, the person that takes the resume, is often not the one doing the interview. I have Open carried to several resume drops, including my present Job with USBANK, and I was hired +1 GNB

ETA: Catch you when the rep nazi lets me out of jail
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Wayne County)

I have acquired/turned in dozens of resumes while openly carrying. The manager of my local grocery store even commented, stating he felt as though it denoted a certain level of responsibility.
    I would be cautious as to which company you are applying to, while carrying example: Child day care services, might be frowned upon, heh.
    The

(Luzerne County)

I applied at a place that the employees must walk through metal detectors as they enter the work space. I had to enter into this area to fill out a application. I remembered I was carrying just as I began to step through.

I stop, turn to the guard and tell him that I need to run out to my car. He looked at me blankly. I then tell him that I was armed and wanted to put my gun in the car. He nearly craped his pants.

I then filled out the application. I later chated with him about guns.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

I OC eveywhere.. So yes although i have gotten turned down and thrown out of places (burger king and a few others) I don't feel bad that I OC to a job interview or to drop off a resume/app.

Robbers, criminals and anyone else won't change their mind because im job searching..

I carry regardless.

it's a right. dont feel ashamed of it. I thinks its wrong that "we" r looked at as bad/evil people bcuz we choose to arm ourselves. Although when I went for a interview the other day I got a rude comment about carrying.

The manager at a local redners told me he "didn't like" that I was carrying.

I calmly told him, I "didn't like" that he WASN't carrying.

Greg, I am a huge advocate of OC, but if it were me, I would CC at the least. Finding a job is all about stacking the deck in your favor, and not in favor of those competing for the same job. I write this as a manager that interviewed hundreds of people to fill less than 30 jobs many years ago. When one has a pool of that size to choose from, one can allow one's prejudices to roam free, along with the analysis of credentials. If anything, the job pool is even bigger these days.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Greg, I am a huge advocate of OC, but if it were me, I would CC at the least. Finding a job is all about stacking the deck in your favor, and not in favor of those competing for the same job. I write this as a manager that interviewed hundreds of people to fill less than 30 jobs many years ago. When one has a pool of that size to choose from, one can allow one's prejudices to roam free, along with the analysis of credentials. If anything, the job pool is even bigger these days.
    Rest assured that I won't be making my decision based on the majority opinion expressed in this thread. They may end up being the same, but I'm not waiting to see what everyone else "thinks I should do". I'm merely asking if others have done so, and what that experience was like for them. I've sought employment plenty of times in the past, and trust me, I know it's a game, and if I may say so, I think I'm pretty good at playing it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Rest assured that I won't be making my decision based on the majority opinion expressed in this thread. They may end up being the same, but I'm not waiting to see what everyone else "thinks I should do". I'm merely asking if others have done so, and what that experience was like for them. I've sought employment plenty of times in the past, and trust me, I know it's a game, and if I may say so, I think I'm pretty good at playing it.
    Well, if you put it like that, I can say that on many occasions I have sought work with my gun out in the open. Customers and students arrive here at my shop with me open carrying, and in some instances I have arrived at their homes or other places to meet them open carrying. The big difference is that each customer or student only ever represents a small amount of my income compared to seeking a steady employer who will supply most, if not all of my income.

I might be just a bit out of line here, so I'll play the "NYC woman card".

Greg,

Your puss has been plastered all over Pennsylvania regarding O/C and 2A. I don't think that there are many in Pennsylvania who don't know who you are or don't know your name. Your puss and your name are directly associated with the "OMG!!!!! GUN".

If you really really really want a job, don't O/C when dropping off resumes. If the person that accepts it is an anti or just doesn't like guns, they will just drop it in the trash.

If you really really really want a job, don't O/C when you're being interviewed. The person that is interviewing you might be a bit intimidated or might just be an anti.

Remember too, (well you probably already know this) most places that you drop resumes off to are private property. They probably don't get many O/Cers coming in so there might not even be a gun policy.

Personally, I wouldn't rock the boat unless I knew exactly what the captain's feelings were about O/C .

And always remember to dress appropriately when job seeking.

Best of luck!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast